PDA

View Full Version : Hi

deepthought
03-01-10, 10:33
Hi,

I am Luke (34) and based in Berkshire. I suffer from Depression and Social Anxiety (15 yrs+) and am hoping to get some support and meet like minded people here. I have had therapy and take anti-depressants for my depression and have tended to drink to escape my depression and anxiety for a few hours. This is of course, counter-productive and I'm hoping to find new ways to enjoy life this year.

Happy new year everyone.

Luke.

nomorepanic
03-01-10, 10:42
Hi deepthought

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

RosieXXX
03-01-10, 12:34
Hello Luke,

You have found a wonderful site, which will certainly give you great support and understanding, and I am sure you will make some lovely friends along the way.

Maj
03-01-10, 13:37
Hi Luke,

Welcome and yes, you will find like-minded people here who understand how you feel. It's so easy to drink to escape anxiety and depression, and yes, it can actually make you feel worse afterwards. However, don't beat yourself up about taking a couple of drinks now and again. You are only human and you only live once. The anti-depressants should help and if not there are other meds. You really sound as though you want to help yourself so well done, you've made the first step by acknowledging you are using alcohol maybe a wee bit too much. Cut back on drinking, take your meds, eat well, sleep well and get out in the fresh air and get some exercise. Look after yourself. With a bit of acceptance of your anxiety symptoms and looking after yourself you'll be on the road to recovery. You won't always feel like this.
Myra:yesyes::hugs:

deepthought
03-01-10, 13:51
Hello,

Thanks for my replies - it is very heartening :-)

Do people on the site have real life meetups? I have been to one social anxiety meetup in London and hope to go to a few more.

Luke.

Southern_Belle
03-01-10, 15:43
Hi Luke,

Welcome to NMP. Many here will understand how you have been feeling and will give their support. So glad you found us.

Best wishes,

Laura