PDA

View Full Version : Three months in three months to go, and then what?

citralopam user
03-01-10, 22:31
I was prescribed Citralopam after visiting my doctor and complaining of feeling very flat of mood, poor memory, fatigue, noticeable loss of drive generally and loss of libido (VERY out of character). I have always been prone to mood swings, but this was of a longer duration than I was used to, and had begun to concern me. I'm mid forties and otherwise in good health.

He conducted a range of tests to eliminate other explanations, including my own supposition - the male menopause. When I saw him to review the test results several weeks later, I was much better, but still sleeping very irregularly and this concerned him. I suspect that he remained alive to the symptoms that I had presented with when I first saw him.

He gave me 20mg, and I have just completed three months with a further two to go on 20mg, and a month on 10mg. I'm told that the positive effects often instate themselves as the status quo. I hope so, because this has possibly been the most stable period I can recall, and I have seen no downside to it, apart from occasionally feeling a bit nauseous if I dont have a decent meal after taking the tablet, and extra fatigue if I drink. I went through a spell of ferocious yawning mid afternoon, which has diminished, but nothing that I couldnt cope with very easily.

I wont pretend that I had no apprehensions about taking 'happy pills', and have told my wife but nobody else. I am marginally less sensitive of mood, but essentially I think very much the same person as before, just slightly less fine tuned.

I have felt overwhelmingly content, not in some artificial high fashion, but just untroubled by the down days I would encounter with some frequency, and by all accounts I am far easier to live with.

I'm less moved by emotional occasions. There's not the lump in my throat that sometimes appeared when touched by sentiment; the sentiment is still there, just not so extreme, in a way that was sometimes awkward.

I used to write and sense that this outlet has been dulled somewhat (it had been for a year anyway) but noticed the first stirrings of this re-surfacing last night - after a bottle of wine - which was always a good catalyst for seeing the world with a different mindset.

I have recounted this because although my symptoms are far less burdensome than those of some who have written on here, I hope that others whose symptoms are similar to my own find this informative if pondering on whether to take this medication.

I'm now wondering how I will be without it; not whether I'll cope - I was never remotely suicidal/struck by anxiety - and dont suppose that this will alter. I am simply enjoying this equilibrium, and would miss it, if it were to be lost to me again.

Any feedback on how others have found the post Cit period and whether it had the long term effect of stabilising their moods would be insightful.

Thanks.

Gaz1981
04-01-10, 15:11
I came off Citalopram for about 5 years and I was fine. The initial period coming off them was hard, because I went through withdrawal, but in the end it was worth it. I got the point where I just felt like I didn't need them anymore.

You'll feel a bit weird at first as all your emotions come back to normal without being numbed to a degree, which I think is a good thing. The most important part is to make sure that you're in a place mentally where you're ready to start feeling them again. Once you've adjusted, you'll just be like you were. If anything I felt stronger without them, because I knew I was doing everything on my own without a medication helping me.

It's truly unfortunate that I ended up back on them, but its fair to say that it was poor life choices I made that pretty much ground my existence to a halt and made me feel like I had to "numb up" again, not depression. I just have some very hard things to do, and I felt it was wise that I was able to focus on doing that, instead of focusing on other anxieties that I had.

Again though, just make sure you're ready to feel your full spectrum of emotions again. And more importantly, don't expect it to be plain sailing right away. It will take you about 4-6 weeks to taper off and go back to normal. Good luck mate and keep us posted on how you go.

Lion King
05-01-10, 14:41
Hi there,

Your posts were really good, this struck a chord with how I am feeling at present, I have real down days where I feel flat and pretty much numb. I have spent 10 monts recovering, I have had massive lows and big highs, but at present I seem to be settling back into the old groove of anxiety, my problem I worry about most is how long I can sustain feeling well whilst on citalopram, will I need to increase again at this stage or is this the best I am going to feel, I think all these thoughts of long term mental wellness is generating the old feelings of anxiety, I think i could do with taking the old step back and re-assessing life and set new goals as I feel pretty empty when I am not working towards acheiving something that will be give me some self gratification.

I hope you both keep well, I'm thinking of resting up on the alcohol for a bit, I think I had a bit too much over xmas which may have upset the balance.

LK

citralopam user
06-01-10, 06:06
Thank you both for your replies.

My doctor was right about what we advised me to expect and I just hope he's right about the course having a generally stabilising effect once concluded.

I can relate to the 'gratification' from work, and had wondered if that was instrumental in leading me into the terribly flat period which prompted my visit to him in the first place.

I have always felt that in addition to the recognised 5 senses we have an overall sensitivity index which reflects our general responses to every day life and that mine was always a little too finely tuned. Life is easier, with that switched down slightly and frankly no less interesting despite my apprehensions, so an interesting time lies ahead.

Again thanks.

unicorn 0578
06-01-10, 06:50
Hello,

Just wondered if you are having regular reviews with your GP? I guess nothing is set in stone and if it were necessary your reduction could always be extended or re-instated at a later date.

Good luck though, sending all best wishes and hope everything goes well for you.

Sarah