PDA

View Full Version : WORRIED - dentist tomorrow!

BabyRachel
04-01-10, 04:20
I have a toothache and made an appointment for the dentist for 10am tomorrow.

I am so worried because of many reasons. Firstly - i've just increased my dose of escitalopram and I feel quite ill and very very dizzy... I usually feel so sick in the mornings I can't get up til around 11am...

And im soooo phobic of needles and they may have to give me one...

And im soooooooooo scared of vomit - im worried i'll be sick...

I hate the dentist and i don't know what to do... I know I have to go - I just wish I didn't feel so ill from my medication, id be able to deal with my needle and vomit phobia better...

Does anyone know how to make dizziness go away? And deal with a needle phobia?

xx

Corinne
04-01-10, 04:31
Aw, hon, I'm sorry you are having a hard time with this. I hate dentists too. One time, I had such a panic attack that I wouldn't get out of my car. I sat there crying! Honest, it's true! The dentist was a friend of my husband's and he had to come out to get me!

I hate needles too and the feeling of being numb. Unless they have to pull a tooth, I go without novocaine. I've had teeth filled and about five root canals with no novocaine. If you have to have it, tell the dentist to use a lot of the liquid numbing agent they put on your gum before the needle.

Do you have someone to go with you?

Remember that the short time you are there will be worth getting rid of the pain of your bad tooth. You can do this!

BabyRachel
04-01-10, 04:36
I have my mum to go with me but i know her, she will just tell me its okay and to get on with it... she doesn't really understand my needle phobia!!

I also worry that the dentist won't take my phobia seriously and that he won't listen to me and won't use any numbing agents... Can I request they use numbing agents?

Corinne
04-01-10, 04:44
Here in the US they just go ahead and numb you. I have to tell the dentist that I prefer to go without. Is this the first time you've gone to this dentist? If so, be honest about your phobia. Tell him you are very nervous about the procedure and need him to let you know everything he is going to do. That's how I trained my dentist!:D

When my old dentist retired, I was panicked. I continued on with his partner who is a young man. I had to make him understand my nerves and told him what I needed. He was very good about it. I have lost a lot of fear now because I feel safe with him.

It will all be over in a few minutes and you will feel so much better. You will also be proud of yourself for having done it.

Hugs

BabyRachel
04-01-10, 04:52
Okay thankyou so much... I will let the dentist know all of my fears... I'm going to tell him all the things im afraid of, and make him tell me exactly what he plans to do to ease my fears... And numb my mouth!! haha.

I'm trying to use my positive thinking, take this on as a challenge.. Cos it IS a really good challenge for my anxiety.... and it will all be done in 20 minutes.... (see, positive thinking!) I just hope it works tomorrow!! xx

Corinne
04-01-10, 04:54
It will work! Please post when you get back. I want to hear all about your success!

BabyRachel
04-01-10, 05:10
I will definatly post - thankyou so much for reassuring me Corinne - I really needed it!! xx

Corinne
04-01-10, 05:31
You are certainly welcome, Rachel!:bighug1:

BabyRachel
05-01-10, 00:52
OKay so I went to the dentist and I didnt freak out... I walked straight in there and said that i am phobic of needles and that i have panic disorder so they may need to be patient with me....

Turns out I didn't even need a needle!! He said it was probably just my sinus putting pressure on the nerves which caused the pain. He is sending me for an xray just to check and make sure.

Thanks fo all your help Corinne xx

Corinne
05-01-10, 01:43
Great success! I knew you could do it! I'm proud of you. The best thing is that you stood up for yourself and explained what you needed. That should make you feel so good about yourself.

If you have a sinus infection, that would only mean a course of antibiotics. No big deal.

Good job!:D

Alabasterlyn
05-01-10, 09:56
Well done Rachel, glad you managed to go and that you got through it so well :hugs:

BabyRachel
05-01-10, 09:58
Thanks Lyn hunny xxxxx :) Im very proud of myself