PDA

View Full Version : Memory? Going mad?

scorpionwhispers
05-01-10, 00:02
I have been under a lot of stress recently and have started wondering firstly if I am losing my mind as everything seems so surreal and dream like but also whether I am losing my memory. I can go to spell easy words and can't get them right when I am normally really good at spelling and grammar and so on.

I feel like I am constantly chasing thoughts and sometimes write the two words in the same word or add extra letters on and so on. I frequently forget what I am saying and just feel quite slow and like my words and thoughts are a bit slurred.

I also feel like I forget random things, I worry about missing appointments or not remember to do things on time.

I don't think I am describing it very well but it is horrible and scary and just feeds into my panic that I am losing my mind. Does anyone else feel like this?

onceagain
05-01-10, 00:15
Hi Scorpionwhispers

Are you on any meds? the only reason that I ask this is because when anxiety and depression was at its worse with me.. my thoughts were all over the place and I could not rest my mind at all awake or asleep... I started Citalopram and my memory has become awful, to the point where I will be looking at a very obvious something and refer to it as something completely different. I have to ask people if I have already said something to them cos my thoughts often just disappear.. words can not be recalled.. I find that laughing it away helps.. but this is just a coping mechanism... the truth is that sometimes I want to cry because things that once were just very straightforward and done without recognising are now a battle...

Talk to your GP if really concerned but think it is all tied into part of the condition or meds... The best of luck and it can't be forever just another hurdle to overcome hey ((hugs)) x

hopefulis
05-01-10, 09:08
I doubt you're going mad although I can relate to how scary and real that it feels like you are. I struggle with memory and concentration a lot but I put it down to my thoughts being elsewhere (ie worrying about symptoms) so I rarely give things my full attention at the moment.

It will pass if you can stop focussing on it. Easier said than done, I know!