PDA

View Full Version : Hey

ben
05-01-10, 00:28
:weep:

Hi all, I've just signed up today after another embarrassing and tiring day of panic. I ended up standing outside A&E on the phone to NHS direct trying to figure out why I couldn't stop crying and convincing myself I was going crazy.

I never thought a grown man could be so scared of something - like the world temporarily turns into an actual nightmare.

Glad I've found somewhere with people who may understand. I really need to get myself back to work though, I can't afford to lose my job...

How is everyone??

I'm Ben by the way....

nomorepanic
05-01-10, 00:31
Hi ben

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

unspoken
05-01-10, 01:29
Hi Ben,

That sounds horrible. I can assure you that the feeling of fear of the world can be defeated. It's something that I myself have been struggling with lately as well. The fear of the world and the feeling of dread, that nothing will ever be alright.

Have you been to your GP and been put on any medication or referred for any therapy? It sounds like you need to make an urgent appointment with your doctor and get signed off work for a little while to try to get control over your anxiety again. This site has lots of useful information and supportive people who are going through similar things :hugs:

ben
05-01-10, 11:45
thanks for the messages guys. The weird thing is I've just had 3 weeks away from work over christmas as I had my first panic there after a very stressful year and went to the doctor who signed me off.
Unfortunately yesterday was my 'return' to work - it didn't go well at all. 20 mins I had the most scary attack and ran out...

Unfortunately I'm still waiting for my first session with a CBT as there was a long waiting list - and the doctors never have appointments any closer than about a week away.
I'm not loving the NHS so far.....

Veronica H
06-01-10, 14:45
:welcome:Welcome Ben. You are not going mad but your nerves have become sensitised. It is difficult to accept the powerful symptoms that this brings without thinking there is something really pysically wrong. Many here including myself have been to A&E in the past. It is the fear of the way you are feeling which is keeping your nerves sensitised. There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes;SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES ISBN 0-7225-3155-9.This is available from the NMP shop. Dr Weekes was a physician and scientist. She was a fellow sufferer (nominated for the nobel prize for medicine) and really understood this illness. She took the mystery out of it, and devised a simple programme for recovery. I can't recommend this enough. This will get better.

Here is a link to her site;

http://www.drclaireweekes.co.uk/

Veronicax

Linzbug1
06-01-10, 15:12
Hello & welcome Ben!!

:D x

ben
06-01-10, 17:10
Hey, cheers guys, and that's excellent Veronica, I'll definitely take a look at the book.

I've also just learned that I'm to be a father! Excellent news, though it has made me pile a load more pressure on myself to 'get better' and keep in work which is tricky at the moment as the office seems to have become the place my mind has decided is the source of all evil in the world....... it terrifies me for no rational reason?

Do people recommend forcing yourself to confront the places that set off your panic?

Thanks for the help, how are you guys doing?

ben
x

butterfly1
06-01-10, 18:48
Hiya Ben wecome and hope this site helps you as it is helping me!!!!:shades: