PDA

View Full Version : 2nd time reasurance

Jem21
05-01-10, 10:23
Hi all, I'm new to this site and wondered if any of you have been on cit more than once and if the side effects were different 2nd time over?

I was put on cit about 4 years ago for anxiety, i had suffered for a couple of years but wouln't take anything, then when I started on them they worked wonders for me... i remember the dry mouth and being a bit groggy for a while but that was mainly it and they worked quite quickly... I stayed on them about a year and a half and was that great i came of them about 18 months ago, and everything was great.

Withing the last couple of months I got promoted at work, moved out and went through a divorce and bam last week back came the anxiety. I went to see an emergency doc as it was new years day and he put me on cit as I said it was great, he put me on 20mg but i cant remember if i was on 20 or 10 before... anyhow i started taking them friday night, and the side effects have been quite severe, my anxiety went through the roof constantly, feeling really really sick, i'm now onto day 4 and i actually slept for a few hours last night which i havent done since starting them, I read somewhere that if your side effects are quite bad then they must be starting to work, do any of you agree with this? I'm a bit worried they wont work this time, but maybe thats just my anxiety talking! I keep trying to tell myself its only been 4 days and they didnt work that quick before but its really scary!

I'm sorry i know i waffled on but reasurance would be great.

Thanks Jem.

BexieB
05-01-10, 10:37
Hi Jem

I'm not on cit, I'm on seroxat, another SSRI. I took it many years ago and found it great, it worked quickly and really sorted me out. I started taking it again recently and it's nothing like it was...recovery has been slow and up and down. Many people report a lack of effectiveness the second time around. My doc has suggested i try a completely different class of AD (SNRI, TCA) if things don't start to significantly improve. However, you are very early into treatment..you really have to give it longer, at least a month.

Hope you feel better soon
Love and Hugs
Bexie

sarah jayne
05-01-10, 10:52
Yes i the same happened to me. I was on citalopram a couple of years ago and it worked really well. I went back on it last summer and the side effect were that bad that i had to stop taking it...x

Jem21
05-01-10, 10:59
Thanks guys... i'm not sure if it's because the dose it higher this time, or because im only on day 4, also i feel a tiny bit better today but as is the nature of the beast with anxiety it makes me scared thinking that lol...

I'm definatly going to continue with them as they really did put me back to normal last time, i've noticed that alot of people have said that the first few weeks can be hell so i'm trying to cling on to that at the moment. x

Gaz1981
05-01-10, 13:54
First time round, the side effects going on them were massive, but so were the results. This time around, I've had hardly any side effects, certainly nothing unpleasant, and I've had practically zero positive effect on my mood.

With the exception of sleeping a bit better at night, I'm actually in worse shape than I was before going on them.

Jem21
05-01-10, 14:21
Im really sorry to hear your in worse shape, has your doctor suggested another med maybe?.... I guess we must all just react differently, I guess i'll have to just wait and see (which i know is easier said than done) i have got more done today than i have since starting on them and it seems like my panic is just bubbling away underneath rather than being full blown today and i dont feel quite as sick, here's hoping they are starting to work!!

june
06-01-10, 11:26
:hugs:Maybe everything is worse this time because you had such good results last time:blush:
You were subconciously expecting a "quick fix"???:blush:
I do know that the panic attack i had last time was FAR worse than the one before:ohmy: - in reality panic is panic:blush:
It is the way our minds expect a certain reaction - and when it does not happen the way we expect - we / i fall apart:blush:
Hope you are not toooo confused:yesyes:
Best wishes
June
:hugs:

Jem21
06-01-10, 15:01
You could be right June, maybe i was expecting a bit of a quick fix as i knew they worked last time, its only been 6 days though and i cant remember how long they took to work last time. Somewhere inside i know its a bit soon to expect results but that doesnt help when the side effects are so bad and your in constant anxiety. I am quite worried about my health and i finally found it in me to get get tests today which i havent been able to do up till now, waiting for the results will be hell but it cant be any worse than im already going through i guess. Thanks for your reply though x

june
06-01-10, 15:11
Just a few hugs
:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:
Hope you feel better soon
June

Jem21
06-01-10, 15:25
Thanks June that was really nice xx

cabbytoes
30-01-10, 15:46
I have been on and off these for the last 14 years - every time the side effects are crap for 2 weeks and then start to ease ..... by 4/5 weeks I start to feel like myself and can function!! (I suffer with severe anxiety).
They always work!!

Jem21
30-01-10, 16:37
Thanks Cabbytoes, been on them 4 weeks now and they started to work after 2 weeks and im now back to my normal self again. I think i was worried they would only work the once and when your in that anxiety its hard to see. All is good now though.