PDA

View Full Version : Panicking about not working

lior
05-01-10, 10:58
Help please... I have a lot of work to do before I go back to uni in a few days, but I just can't seem to do it. I'm so scared about doing it that I can't even begin. I'm worried I won't get it done, and that makes it even worse. If I don't get it done, my tutors will understand but I might not get a good placement and I really want a good placement. But I'm scared I might not get it. I don't really believe in myself enough to get it. I'm not really worth it and I want more than I can have. What people say about you being able to get whatever you want simply isn't true - I used to be that confident go-getting person and I still didn't always get what I want. The man I love cannot love me.

Yesterday I cried because I couldn't find the tea that my Dad wanted.

But what's of immediate concern is that I need to work, I have to work, and I'm too scared to even open my portfolio! Help! What do I do?

gypsywomen
05-01-10, 11:02
just do it ,, go on you can its your mind telling you can over ride the thoughts ,sure when you start your work your mind will be engrosed in it so go on give it a try open it and start xx

ben
05-01-10, 11:54
What sort of work is it? Sounds interesting.

Try to remember that you want to do this work for YOU, not for other people. Placement pr no placement you will get to where you want to get to, there's no doubt of that. So now it's just a choice to be made, and it sounds like you're ready and willing to take on this work now so give it a try....

Try to tell yourself that you're just 'taking a look at it' and maybe fiddling with a few bits rather than taking on an unrealistic amount all at once..... I'm hopeless at doing this sort of thing on time but I learnt to trick myself into doing it by just 'messing around' for a bit - before you know it you'll have taken a bite out of the task and you'll see thing much more clearly.

Good luck, it's a horrid feeling I know, just remember why you're doing it and try to enjoy it as much as possible.

let us know how it goes

lior
08-01-10, 19:19
I couldn't do it that day - I get so stuck with work but I've got a therapist now so hopefully I can sort it out. I read a quote somewhere about not being a perfectionist, just doing the job and then fixing it along the way... so at least I have something to give in now. It's not very good but at least it's something. I have to keep reminding myself that I will be able to update it whenever I want... argh. Still worried, I can't help it, it's my nature :)