PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram to Fluoxetine

Louix
05-01-10, 13:28
Hi All

Im new to here... Been suffering from anxiety for years - Was on Citalopram for 16 months and have now moved over due to my weight getting me down. 3 stone on citalopram... Which worked fantastic for my anxiety.

I always focused and didnt care if i was fat and happy, as long as i was happy!! But then the weight started reallygetting me down and becoming a problem. Vicious circle!

I have been on Fluoxetine now for about 3 weeks and feeling really manic and low?? Only side affect really is heart burn... I felt like the citalopram really masked everything and worked so well... But then did plateau and and got really down again. I have pulled my hair out for years, only slighty, which stopped on citalopram but iv started again now... Will flu just take time to kick in?

I'd love any words of wisedom... All my love xxx

ihatediets
05-01-10, 22:54
Hi! I have just changed from escitalopram to fluoxetine and I feel terrible too. When I was first diagnosed with Depression and Anxiety in 2004 they gave me fluoxetine and the first few weeks were hell. Over the years I stopped taking meds and than another doctor decided to put me on citalopram, than on escitalopram. I now, going back to them, know that the way I feel is only temporarily so I reckon you should start to feel improvement very soon because you took them for about 3 weeks now and most people find the first 2 or 3 weeks are the worst. So, chin up and give them a chance! I hope to hear from you to see how you are getting on! Love Tami xxx

Louix
06-01-10, 19:24
Hi Tami - Sounds daft but was so lovely to recieve your reply - Makes me feel like im not the only one going through this. This morning was such a struggle getting motivated and getting to work. But once i was here felt so so much better. Its the feeling of frustration and when i allow myself to get really worked up that gets me down. I think being off work over xmas has just added to my mood as really struggling getting back in to a routine. Citalopram really helped me, feel at the moment i am getting quite dependant on my beta blockers... Then as the day goes on i start feeling much better.

Thanks for your reply xxxxx

ash1807
06-01-10, 19:38
Loix,

Yes, Prozac has a habit of making you worse before it starts working. Give it time, say 4-6 weeks. You may even feel more anxious in the early days,but stick with it

Best of luck

ihatediets
10-01-10, 15:05
Hi! I hope you are feeling better by now! I had a dreadful week! Was written off work for the week so I have time to sort myself out and relax and on tuesday, 05.01. our oldest dog got really ill and on wednesday we had to put him down. I feel so awful and the worst is that I am not sure why I feel so terrible! Is it the Prozac that is dragging me down in the moment, only have been on them for 11 days now, or is this just the normal grieving? I dont know and I am dreading going to work tomorrow, facing the world. :-(

bajskorv
25-01-10, 00:58
I've just swapped on to Fluoxetine after 8 weeks of Citalopram was making me suicidal/doing naff all. I'm on day six of my Fluoxetine and I've noticed a total world of difference (ish). Compared to the total rough ride I had on Citalopram, Fluoxetine feels like a walk in the park. Obviously I'm not "better" yet, I've only been on the F. a short while, but I feel much clearer, focused and less... down than I did before.

Henpen
26-01-10, 18:27
I'm switching over this week from Citalopram to Prozac. Getting some big mood swings and am all over the place, manic and then very low within hours. Very twitchy/fidgety and can't keep still sometimes. Doc has given me Xanax to help with anxiety, I can recommend it to take the edge off, although possibly it is a bit too good, so one to keep an eye on. Regardless I am sticking with it and going to go to my therapy, take my meds and keep fingers and toes crossed. Big hug all round and hope we feel better soon.

Catya
08-02-10, 13:47
How are you all getting on?
Am thinking of changing from Prozac to Citalopram... don't know what to do. Such huge anxiety on Prozac.

carter
14-02-10, 20:58
i was on the stuff for 3 months made me 10x worse...

glad to see the back of it felt better about two days after not taking it.

However everyone is diffrent but dont leave it as long as i did if your not back in some sort of routine in 4 weeks its time to change...they made me housebound for 4 of em horrible stuff...

Catya
14-02-10, 21:36
Which do you mean..... Citalopram or Prozac made you worse?
Have now gone up to 40mg Prozac instead. Not too bad so far...but early days.

carter
14-02-10, 21:55
prozac....sorry

Henpen
15-02-10, 18:55
Hi all,

So about 2 weeks into my 20mg Prozac (I think) and I have stopped the Citalopram completely. Had a horrible time with side effects for about 10 days when I was switching over. Grumpy, sickness, dizziness, head zaps and shaky. Plus my skin and hair still feel all sticky and grungy, like my body is clogged up with crap - don't know if anyone else has had this with their meds? Feels like I will never get myself clean! However, on the plus side, the Prozac is starting to stabilise my mood a bit. I am still up & down, but much less volatile. Glad that I stuck with it during the worst of the side effects.

The thing that has helped the most is going for a swim and going to a very gentle yoga class (once I felt up to leaving the house). I think maybe this helps to flush out the toxins. I would also recommend cutting out caffeine, sugar and booze whilst on the Prozac - they were making me very jittery and moody.

Hope everyone else is feeling a bit better on the Prozac and if you have any good ideas for how to combat side effects post them here, thanks! HP xx

dianesangel
17-02-10, 12:15
Hi, I am new on here. Have been on Citalopram for about 7 months. Due to the tiredness I cut down from 20mg to 10mg. Depression really kicked in again so had to up it to 20mg again. The tiredness is back and I am barely getting through the days. Miss my stop on the tube where I fall asleep in the morning ;o(
Went to doctor last night who has put me on Fluoxetine. I am so scared this is going to cause ever more or worse side effects as I have a very stressful job and my bosses are not very understanding. Has anyone got anything "good" to say about Fluoxetine? Please let me know. I have tried fighting Depression on my own but just can't do it, I need tablets. Thanks very much. D

emmziebee
08-03-10, 15:37
hi I am switching from fluoxetine to citalopram after tomorrow my doc thinks it will help my anxiety and insomnia, I ONLY BEEN TAKING FLUOXETINE for 3 months and the doc says I will be fine just switching over, I really hope so as I feel alot better just lately.

cathycrumble
27-01-12, 21:54
Loix,

Yes, Prozac has a habit of making you worse before it starts working. Give it time, say 4-6 weeks. You may even feel more anxious in the early days,but stick with it

Best of luck

Hi was reading this old post and I am wandering are you still taking prozac as I am on it 3 weeks now and finding the se hard to put up with

Cathy xx

ANG3LIC
08-05-12, 21:05
im new hello everyone. i just got my prozac today stating them tommorow, been on citralipram for several months, not really helped. i have mood swings, no motivation, always sooo tired, so low, suicidal thoughts etc but like most things are way more deeper n complex but rather not go into all that now.. i want write more but feeling so low. im also classed as disabled.. due to rhemotoid arthiritus in back/spine, joints etc cant walk more than several steps b4 in agony, i have so much going on, so many issues. but i cant live in this hell anymore. i have other prob [rather not say].. arghhhh;;; i could do with making a few friends.. im aware the prozac may make me feel lots worse b4 i feel better :( thanks for reading n good luck to everyone xxx

daintydi
10-05-12, 04:57
Hi ang3lic,
I started taking flux on Friday, so far so good for me. I haven't had any side effects really. Im not sleeping very well but I wasn't anyway.So I'm just going to keep plodding on. This is my 3rd anti depressant since November.........so 3rd time lucky I'm hoping! I'm so sorry your having a rough time. how you feeling today?feel free to pm me if you want.
Take care
Diane x :hugs:

ANG3LIC
10-05-12, 21:46
Hi ang3lic,
I started taking flux on Friday, so far so good for me. I haven't had any side effects really. Im not sleeping very well but I wasn't anyway.So I'm just going to keep plodding on. This is my 3rd anti depressant since November.........so 3rd time lucky I'm hoping! I'm so sorry your having a rough time. how you feeling today?feel free to pm me if you want.
Take care
Diane x :hugs:
thanks daintydi xxx i hope 4u its 3rd time lucky too :) x id like to keep in touch see how u go on the prozac[fluoxetine] its my 2nd day on them now.xxx

H_P
11-05-12, 21:25
Hi all, I'm wondering if I should swap from citalopram to flux due to side effect of loss of short term memory. Has anybody had any memory issues since being on flux? I would be grateful of some first hand advice??

Thank you!

X