PDA

View Full Version : social anxiety, idk what to do.

deja
26-11-05, 16:15
i'm really finding this so awkward and weird just posting this one the internet but at this point i'll pretty much do anything....

i've been dealing with this for i guess almost a year and a half and my panic attacks have gotten more frequent. in the beginning i got one maybe once every 4 or 5 months, now depending on now social i am, i get them every few weeks or even every few days. i'm 17 and in my senior year of high school and my social life is really really important to me and i just hate feeling left out of things. i have a lot of friends but i'm afraid of losing them bc of this. i get panic attacks before i go out, but it's more than just feeling faint and nauseous and getting pins and needles. i used to dry-heave but in the past couple of weeks its gotten tot he point of actually vomiting before i go out. once i go out, i'm usually fine. it's all anticipation.

even if i got an attack, i would usually just go out anyways because i knew i would be fine once i was out. but recently i didnt go out because i got an attack so bad and i dont want that to happen again.

i talked to my mom about this. she said she dealt with it when she was younger but got over it without any medication, so she doesnt want me on medication at all. i dont want to go on medication either but if its my only choice, i'd do it.

i just want tips/advice.. i really dont know how to handle this anymore, its making me so upset. it's always in the back of my mind.

Meg
27-11-05, 15:15
Deja , welcome

Glad you can admit that it is all mainly anticipation...

You need to analyse what you're thinking about these outings and what thougts and images and thus real messages you're giving yourself that are causing this sort of nervous reaction.

What do you think is going to go wrong, is it to do with your imagined behaviour, how people respond to you and the outcomes that are imagined as opposed to real ones.

You need to learn to change these images and messages you feed yourself to ones that are more pleasant and optimistic.

Nigel is really good at helping set the scene for you to do this in visual/cognitive terms

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?