PDA

View Full Version : blood test tomorrow for pcos

mummy4
05-01-10, 19:19
and im dreading it. i panic so so much even at the thought of a blood test :(
went to the doctors this evening as i have been on my period for 12 days now and she said not to worry too much about that but to go back in the morning so nurse can do a blood test for polycystic ovary syndrome. do any of you have this and if so whats the treatment for it?

just soooo dreading having bloods taken. hubby is going to come hold my hand though :)

mummy4
05-01-10, 21:38
anyone?????

LucyR
05-01-10, 21:54
Hi, Don't know about the blood test for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, but I am going for one on Thursday to check for Underactive Thryroid as I have a very similar problem to yourself.

mummy4
05-01-10, 22:10
hi lucy.

my symptoms are over weight and finding it hard to lose weight, unwanted facial hair (which i wax) spots to name a few

hope your test goes ok x

wiggioloz
05-01-10, 22:22
Hi mummy4

I was diagnosed with PCOS about 7 years ago, mine was confirmed by an ultrasound scan. I think I remember having a hormone blood test, but I don't remember it showing anything - but don't quote me on that!!

I just take Metformin (but I'm also Diabetic) and watch my weight.

mandie
05-01-10, 22:39
Hi Mummy4

i was diagnosed with pco when i was 19, im now 38. I had a blood test and also an ultrasound

Trying to keep the weight down helps lessen the symptoms but its so hard when the condition makes u gain weight!

love mandie x

LucyR
06-01-10, 01:48
Hi, I also am overweight and have trouble losing any too, plus facial hair, well yes, one or too, spots now and again as well, so well worth bearing in mind a test for this too, I can see.

marley
06-01-10, 04:41
Hi there

With PCOS, they may actually be doing a blood sugar test. This is similar to tests for hypoglycemia and diabetes. One of the underlying causes of PCOS is insulin resistance, hence the sugar tests.

They will also be looking at thyroid hormones - these levels also control and regulate the menstrual cycle.

If either of these tests point to PCOS, you may get an ultrasound taken of your ovaries - to check for follicles.

A couple of points about PCOS:

* It is the most common hormonal disorder in women of childbearing age. Many are either undiagnosed or misdiagnosed.

* PCOS can be controlled by diet, lifestyle changes, and medication. Many people with PCOS can live free from symptoms when employing these methods.

* The name PCOS implies that there are cysts on the ovaries. This is not true. The appearance on ultrasound of 'cysts' are actually follicles (developing/developed eggs) and not cysts at all.

* Many people with PCOS do not have these follicles.

* PCOS is a collection of various symptoms - this is why it is termed a syndrome and not a disease.

* It is thought that 10 percent of women currently have PCOS.

I have PCOS, and I have regular menstrual cycles, and I am a healthy weight (165cms, 58kgs - I control my weight by consuming a low carbohydrate diet). I do have excess androgens (body hair) which I control by using a combined oral contraceptive pill.

unicorn 0578
06-01-10, 06:59
Sorry, don't know anything about PCOS but about bloodtests, I take Lithium so have to have them regularly. I was like you in the beginning and extremely nervous...what I do is make sure that I tell the nurse/technician that I am nervous, that way they are prepared and can help you more. I usually lye down when I have mine done and I always look the other way and chats to the nurse about anything and everything. It will only take a second and then it will all be over.

Good luck and hope you are ok

Sending Best Wishes

Sarah x

samezoobi
06-01-10, 11:52
Yes you are correct. weight does have an influence. so this cycle iam on very low glycaemic food. iam minimizing my carbohydrate intake.

Thankfully after posting my query, my af has started at a normal rate. today been the first day, i will start clomid 100 mg on the third day, and then a vaginal u/s on the 10th day.

Good that your follicles are growing. will pray that they reach the mark and ovulation occurs.

How was your reaction on 50 mg? did the follicle grow?

mummy4
06-01-10, 12:33
thank you all very much for responding i have taken things you have said on board :)

blood test has been postponed til 20 jan as its bad weather down here.

still slightly bleeding today :(

mandie
06-01-10, 12:35
Hi

I can bleed for weeks and weeks due to pco. they can give u the pill to help control symptoms but i couldnt take the pill

mandie x