PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone taken Metronidazole antibiotics

Alabasterlyn
05-01-10, 19:32
I've been going to the dentist a lot over the last few months to have some root canals and crowns done.

Last month I had the temporary filling in one of the big molars filled with the permanent filling and it's never really settled since then. I did contact the dentist about this and was prescribed a course of 500mgs Amoxcyllin, which seemed to work at the time but I am now back to where I was before.

So today I went back to the dentist, who is convinced that I don't have an infection but am still suffering the effects from the treatment and possibly have a bit of inflammation around the gum due to not brushing my teeth as well as I should.

Anyway to cut a long story short, the dentist has prescribed me a course of Metronidazole to take if the toothpaste and moushwash she gave me don't help. I don't think I've ever taken this particular medication before and would be grateful if anyone who has could give me any advice about it. I'm not very good with new meds :blush:

Maj
05-01-10, 19:45
I've taken this a couple of times. For helicobactor pylori and a dental problem. I was okay with it but I know other people find it upsets their stomach. You can't take alcohol with them as it can make you really ill, 24 hours before taking them and up to 48 hours after finishing the course. I've been told they were an old treatment for stopping alcoholics drinking as it made them feel awful if they took a drink!! Honestly though, I was absolutely fine.
Myra

magpie girl
05-01-10, 19:50
hi ive been on this antibiotic a few times and its used to treat a multitude of things.It can cause stomache upsets when you take it and thrush in women.:blush:

Alabasterlyn
05-01-10, 21:14
Thanks for your replies Myra and Magpie girl, I am such a wuss when it comes to taking a new med, even if it's only for a short time. I was given a totally different antibiotic about 18mths ago when I had my appendix out and it made me feel really bad, kept going to the loo all the time and lost my appetite, so it's made me wary of antibiotics.

I don't drink alcohol anyway, so that's good. I will get myself some live yoghurt just in case too, thanks again :)

pollyanna
05-01-10, 21:51
Hi Lyn,

I too have had this for a dental problem, worked a treat on the infection pretty quickly, but boy did it upset my digestive system, i ended up with thrush in my bowel, which took a while to go away, and was incredibly itchy, which was terribly embarrasing...:blush: in saying that i have had metronidazole before and never encountered this problem, think i was just unlucky..

tc

P x:hugs:

nomorepanic
05-01-10, 21:56
Ohh this is a bad bad drug for me - I absolutely hate it and feel rubbish on it.

Sorry to be negative but a lot of people can't tolerate this medication so just warning you anyway.

hopefulis
05-01-10, 22:12
I've been on this a few times for dental problems after a root canal and had no problems at all, apart from the fact you mustn't drink alcohol. I had mucj worse side effects on amoxycillin ( headaches, thrush, upset tummy ).

Alabasterlyn
05-01-10, 22:26
Isn't it weird how these meds seem to affect everyone so differently. I was fine with the amoxcyllin, even though I was quite scared when I first took them, but I didn't have any side effects other than being a bit tired.

Pollyanna, gosh thrush in the bowel, that sounds nasty. I have heard of thrush in various other places, but not there :ohmy:

Nicola, thanks for the warning :scared15:

Hopefulis, I hope your root canals settled down after taking the antibiotics. I so hate the dentist :mad:

nomorepanic
05-01-10, 22:33
I thought I should add something about my loose comment of "a lot of people can't tolerate this medication"

This was based on opinions from my GP and when I was in hospital I was put on a drip with this drug and the nursing staff there said the same that it is drug that a lot don't tolerate.

It wasn't just a flippant remark I made lol

Anxious_gal
06-01-10, 01:09
Ive taken it twice , main side effects for me where upset tummy and random muscle cramps.
only thing to look out for is a rash or hives. the good thing is if you notice a rash its your body's way of saying its sensitive to the medication, so then you should stop taking it and tell your doctor. this happened me before and i was fine nothing more than a rash.
oh n take it after food too! serious I'd say you will be fine, you may have taken it before as another name for it is flagyl.

karlyo
06-01-10, 06:50
I also ended up in a&e on this one, but I was allergic to it, which is rare. I know lots of people who have taken it and been fine. It tastes beyond vile though.

Alabasterlyn
06-01-10, 08:44
I'm just going to have to cross my fingers and toes and hope that my tooth settles down as this med sounds awful :scared15:

Emira7
06-01-10, 09:42
Hi

I have taken this a few times for bacterial infections. It makes me feel horrendously sick, and and bad tummy, plus a coated tongue, horrible taste in mouth. Its a heavy duty antibiotic. Aside from that I was OK and it did clear the infection up.

Absoluitely no drinking on this one as the others said, it can make you violently sick according to my GP :ohmy:

Ems
xx

Typer
06-01-10, 13:44
I have had it several times - it always used to give me tummy upset and then thrush but the last two times I had it, I had a yukult in between doses - I had four yukult's a day in all and it worked a treat, no upset tum and no thrush.

madelaine
06-01-10, 13:52
i tk them after a miscarraige n the were fine no problems ur tummy mite get a littl upset but ul only need to takr them 4 a week gd luck x