PDA

View Full Version : Pins and Needles

bullethead
06-01-10, 11:27
Hi all, I had hoped I was done with all this anxiety stuff but it seems not. Saw my doc before xmas regarding aching arms & muscle stiffness that has been going on since October, she reassured me i 'didn't present' like i had MS and I felt better after speaking to her.
Thing is the arms are still stiff and achy but I've just sort of got used to it, what has really freaked me out recently though is a couple of instances of waking up with pins and needles in my left hand (ring finger and little finger). Once again I am convinced it's MS but don't want to go looking on MS websites for fear of feeling worse. Can anyone advise if this occasional P&Ns symptom is a common anxiety symptom? It improves greatly as soon as I start using my hand, would it remain if it were MS?
Thanks all.

june
06-01-10, 11:44
:hugs:instead of going on the MS web site (which WILL make you feel worse:blush:))
Try looking at 'Symptoms' 5th in list 'Problems/ Issues.
Scroll down to Hyperventilation and you will see yoru symptoms there:ohmy:
Best wishes
June
:hugs:

meg86
06-01-10, 12:18
Hello :) yes pins and needles is a common symptom of anxiety, i had it pretty bad last year and get it now when im really really stressed, it is really scary but the doctor reassured me it was anxiety.

My mum (who doesnt have anxiety) also had this really bad, she had a MRI everything came back clear and they said it was caused by stress (she was going through a divorce).

My arm used to feel heavy and numb and tingly and i would also get it in my back and my legs, as soon as i start to feel better and relax it subsided!! try and relax and take care :) xx

bullethead
06-01-10, 13:20
Thanks June & Meg, feel better for your kind words. I do try to relax and I think there was even a whole day over xmas when i didn't think about my aching arms or other arm symptoms at all..just wish i could do it more often, gets me down wondering when it will ever end and always that tiny little nagging doubt that it might be something serious, really want to get on with enjoying the snow with my kids!
Thanks again, your comments have helped my stress levels subside a little.

Dee01
06-01-10, 14:20
Everytime I get pins and needles in my left hand I have to keep telling myself that I am OK OK OK. This usually works for most other symptom, but not the pins and needles. They always preceed a panic attack, so I feel your pain. Stay away from the MS websites!!! They're as bad as Dr Google for us anx suffer's!!

june
06-01-10, 14:31
Thanks June & Meg, feel better for your kind words. I do try to relax and I think there was even a whole day over xmas when i didn't think about my aching arms or other arm symptoms at all..just wish i could do it more often, gets me down wondering when it will ever end and always that tiny little nagging doubt that it might be something serious, really want to get on with enjoying the snow with my kids!
Thanks again, your comments have helped my stress levels subside a little.
:hugs:Trying to relax is one of the hardest things to do:ohmy:You can tell yourself you are relaxing but - as you say every little niggling ache or pain sends any thought of relaxing into outer space:yesyes: The best thing you can do is "go and play in the snow" you will use up all that extra adrenalin that is making you anxious:yesyes:
And when your hands are freezing ........ you will worry about frost bite:scared15: (sorry) bin there done that.
Just have fun.
Best wishes
June

bullethead
06-01-10, 15:31
Thanks again. Just had a couple of hours building an igloo! not noticed a thing in that time....got to keep having fun if I can!

sarah jayne
06-01-10, 16:53
Ive got the same symptoms as you except its not just in my arms but my legs and feet aswell. Im really sore, stiff and achy with pins and needles and like you they are in my little finger and ring finger.
Sarah x

bullethead
06-01-10, 16:59
Sorry to hear that Sarah, it really does seem more common than i thought (which in some ways helps - sorry!). Lets just hope that in time we realise we can beat it! Good luck.

june
07-01-10, 12:03
Ive got the same symptoms as you except its not just in my arms but my legs and feet aswell. Im really sore, stiff and achy with pins and needles and like you they are in my little finger and ring finger.
Sarah x
years ago i was told by a Dr, that mostly women get probs with left arm and ring finger - because we tend to carry heavy weights eg:shopping and children - so the neck muscle gets pulled and causes this problem:blush:
I used to think it had to do with my heart - I still feel the fear:blush:
Best wishes
June

whatisthis
09-01-10, 13:52
Hey Bullet

You have the exact same problem as me! You even have the same worries. I was put on meds to treat the depression caused by the aches originally and the aches went but came back after coming off. I finally questioned this to the docs and its all anxiety/tension!

Now I have seen a variety of NHS and private doctors in the last month and have sent me away with the same diagnosis I have to accept what it is. Stop the googling. I did the full works, MS, ALS, MND, RSI, FM etc. I saw a neuro last week privately and he quickly put me in place. Believe what the doctors tell you, worrying will not help or even prevent any disease.

I have no loss of strength muscle wasting or anything and I am sure you haven't. Just the aches that make me worry and trap me in this vicious circle.

On the pins and needles in the night front I got that at the beginning of this due to me reading about it. That went as I calmed down.

Give me a pm if you want seen as its so similar.

Chris

anotherworrier
09-01-10, 15:08
i wake up most days with pins and needles in arms and handa, also suffer from aching muscles all over. i asked doctor, she said its anxiety.