PDA

View Full Version : anxiety in the family?

Linzbug1
06-01-10, 15:00
Just wondering if anxiety can be in any way genetic?

My mum suffered for many years with panic attacks and this sometimes makes me question why I am such a worried person all the time!

A couple of weeks ago I went shopping...probably shouldn't have ventured out as I was recovering from a cold and blocked sinuses etc....and all of a sudden down quite a busy street I could feel my heart in my throat and all I wanted to do was go home! I was with my partner at the time so thankfully I grabbed onto him to support me as my legs felt weak too!

Quite a scary experience and I dont want it to happen again :weep:
anyone else felt something similar? x

sarah jayne
06-01-10, 16:56
My mum used to have panic attacks and now i do...

Linzbug1
06-01-10, 17:02
oh dear....like i said i think thats the reason why im like i am!

The joys xx

melvin
06-01-10, 20:41
hi there my whole family suffer with it 2 sisters 3 brothers my cousins also have it

WeeSmallHours
06-01-10, 21:52
I'm sure there is a genetic link in issues like this. Whether it guarantees anxiety issues or just predisposes us to the potential. My mother has anxiety issues and some minor OCD tendencies. Mine are all much worse, but her mother had panic attacks as well. I also know there were issues on my father's side of the family, but that was a generation and a group of people that would suffer silently so I don't know specifics.

Jellie
06-01-10, 22:44
My mum had mild anxiety and phobias and my dad and sister had depression, my grandmother has OCD and Anxiety too, a lot of my relatives seem to have health anxiety. I think there is a genetic link for sure.. xx

pollyanna
06-01-10, 22:57
there are quite a few members of my family who have between them, anxiety, depression, ocd, to name just a few, this includes, my siblings, my son, and cousins that i know of, how far back it goes i dont know, as i think someone has already said, past generations didnt really speak about it.

p x

Utility
06-01-10, 23:49
Hi

There is also a train of thought that anxiety may be as a result of learned behaviour within families.

Just as siblings develop their values and beliefs as a result of parental attitudes and behaviour then the same may apply to such things as anxiety.

loli1982
07-01-10, 00:04
hello, my cousin was diagnosed with health anxiety a month after i was, but we havent seen each other really for years, i grew up with a extremely mentaly ill stepfather, and i often wonder how many of my current issues are related to this, (he was paranoid/delusional ) my nana took to her bed at 40, and never got back out of it, (im unaware of any mental health diagnosis, but the woman lived to her mid 80s, and in 26 years i never saw her out of her bed) i have scizophrenia on one side of the family, and my mum suffers from anxiety, and what im pretty sure are mild panic attacks, but after our experiences trying to get help for my stepdad, refuses to speak to her gp about it. i personally think there is a genetic link, as well as learned behaviors. anyway that was a bit of a ramble sorry!