PDA

View Full Version : Sleep

KK77
07-01-10, 02:48
For the past 6 months or so I've only been sleeping 4-5 hrs a night. I feel very tired during the day - usually afternoon time - but if I sleep then I get no kip at night... I would love to sleep a full 8 hrs!

I was wondering about other people's sleeping patterns with anxiety/depression.

Bill
07-01-10, 03:16
You've been good to me so I'll see if I can help you in return!:winks:

If we go to bed with a troubled mind, we will have a restless sleep so wake up feeling tired because of the lack of quality sleep we've had.

Meds though can also cause problems due to their side-effects. It always amazes me when you read the leaflet that it says they can cause anxiety and insomnia!

I find that I can either stay awake all night and have a catnap during the day or I can sleep for hours on end! I must admit that too much sleep makes me feel worse than too little.

I think we all feel tired in mid-afternoon because it's the siesta time. I can remember at work that I'd feel like dropping off at 3pm every day so I'd have to get up and take a walk around the office.

I've found the key to good sleep is going to bed with a relaxed mind so never read or watch anything that causes worries or eat or drink anything too stimulating just before bedtime.

Perhaps find a routine just before bedtime that clears your mind and makes you feel completely relaxed before sleeping. I enjoy listening to relaxing music before I sleep.:shrug:

Gazman
07-01-10, 03:20
exactly the same for me, when i was anxious i could sleep all the time - which i found pretty odd, now i'm depressed more than anything i cant sleep at night until 3 - 4am then i'm up at 8am and if i get tired during the day i fall asleep around 2-3pm, even if its only for an hour - i then find i cant sleep at all come night time!

It sucks, i've had about 12 hours sleep in the last 4 days :mad:

Southern_Belle
07-01-10, 03:23
Hi,

I have found that a warm bordering on hot bath right before bed helps me sleep. I also dim the lights in my bathroom too. I am on the computer late tonight but most nights I try to not be on the computer or watch tv too late as that can sometimes interfere with my sleep. Like Bill stated above a routine helps me too. Hope you get some well deserved sleep soon.

Take care,

Laura

Littlefluffycloud
07-01-10, 03:28
Hi. My anxiety has caused me sleeping problems for as long as I remember. I can't seem to fall asleep quickly and lie there for hours. It is worse if I have to be somewhere the next day, sometimes i'll get as little as 2 hours. Sometimes i fall asleep when everyone else is getting up and so don't get up until early afternoon. People think i'm lazy, but it's not that at all, I enjoy being up and about on a morning if i can. have you tried any medications or relaxation methods? I had some probs with the meds and I find it so difficult to relax. X

KK77
07-01-10, 13:05
Thanks guys. Tried the warm bath - it does help with falling asleep, it's just that I have trouble staying asleep! I do take meds and I'm sure they have SEs that interfere with sleep, although I some nights also take zopiclone which I think is making me tired during the day - can't win...

Well last night I slept for 2 hrs then suddenly woke up, fell asleep again for a few hrs then woke up at about 8am. Had meeting for 9am so got ready and got to my car which was caked in ice and snow, so started scraping all the winter poop off my car for ages. I went to drive off then realised I had a flat tyre. I got so annoyed I just came back in, rang and cancelled my meeting.

Now I feel like just going back to bed...

ladybird64
07-01-10, 13:25
Generally I can get to sleep after about 30 mins but I also have problems staying asleep.

I am a very light sleeper and am so envious of those that can go into a deep sleep if only for a few hours. I have been this way for many years and even the slightest noise disturbs me, my mind always seems to be "on duty" if that makes any sense.

I can't nap during the day and as for dozing in an armchair..again, Im jealous of anyone that can do that!.
I can be absolutely knackered, head lolling, eyes drooping but the minute my body starts to relax it jerks back into wakefullness and my brain joins it.

Mind you, my situation isn't helped by having a nocturnal daughter who doesn't go to bed until about 4am and another daughter who wakes up about 6am!

smudger
07-01-10, 13:36
I have to make my self go to bed a sensible time (sleepy or not) to get up a sensible time. My routine needs to be a physically active daytime, no scary or violent or generally upsetting tv before bed. No caffeine after 7pm, a warm bath before bed and I always read before dropping off. If I deviate from this which I often do then disaster. I cant remember having a whole week of quality sleep for a long time so you are not alone. I used to sleep solid before all this. How wonderful. Hope you find some help[ from us all.:hugs:

Going home
07-01-10, 14:27
My sleep pattern has become really out of kilter too over the last year or so. I thinks its because I don't use up much energy being in the house most days. I try to keep up with my exercise video but it doesn't replace being out there and part of every day life. If I don't get about 7 hours sleep I feel spaced out most of the next day. But my days/nights have gradually shifted and its rare that i fall asleep much before 3am these days and I wake up btween 10-11am, but at least it means I get 7 or 8 hours uninterrupted sleep. If I try to sleep around midnight I wake up a few hours later and then can't get back to sleep. So instead of fighting the new pattern, ive given into it. But i know that when I get myself sorted out and get back into the outside world again, get a job i'll have to bring my pattern back to a more normal one.

I don't know if you work outside of the house or not, but if you don't work then it could be that your body just isnt tired enough for a full 8 hours sleep. I'm not sure if any of the meds interfere with sleep, I take beta blockers and as far as I know they don't, so for me it has to be lack of movement during the day!

GH :)

KK77
08-01-10, 12:45
Well last night I actually got 6-7 hrs, which for me is a miracle. I only woke up once too! It's amazing how small things like this can make such a difference. I got up early at about 7am and sorted my tyre out. Even the snow seems to have melted a bit, but it could be my imagination.

I too wish that I could fall asleep on a chair or sofa while watching TV. Being such a light sleeper can be torture at times. Travelling is the worst because I watch others fall asleep and I'm wide awake, usually with a headache.

My aunty who's a very heavy sleeper fell asleep while doing the washing up standing once. I was talking to her and she suddenly went quiet. I looked at her and she was gently swaying while leaning on the sink with the dish cloth still in her hand. I said "Hey, what you doing?" and she said she'd drifted off. I just can't believe that some people can fall asleep so easily...

I'd like to hear from anxiety sufferers that are heavy sleepers because I don't think there can be many of them. Anxiety and sleep disorders seem to be very, very common.

*I work at home usually GH but I do keep very active. Do pilates once a week at the gym and swim when I get the time too.

Midnight
10-01-10, 00:32
Hello,

I am usually a heavy sleeper and can sleep a full 12 hours without waking. Since my anxiety has flared up I am having sleeping problems. Initially I was getting 2-3 hours, kept waking up in the night and having awful nightmares.

Since then my sleep has improved if I distract my mind whilst trying to fall asleep. Whilst you are lying in bed with your mind racing it is very difficult for you to fall asleep. Once you do fall asleep your body and mind are still on edge and wake easily.

I have found putting audio books on my Ipod and listening to them whilst I am lying in bed has helped immensley. I am focusing on the story so I do not have anxious thoughts running through my mind and doze off quite easily. I then manage to sleep through the night as I did not fall asleep on edge. Harry Potter is a good one - Stephen Fry's dulcet tones have sent me off to sleep on many occasion.

KK77
10-01-10, 05:08
Had a bad dream and now I'm wide awake. Probably because I've got things on my mind. Oh well, Sasha my cat seems to be happy I'm up - maybe she thinks it's food time LOL! Funny how cats can sleep at any time of the day...

Looks like I may have to take a few Z tabs this week, although I wouldn't recommend them to any youngsters who may be reading this ... They're bad!

Before I had anxiety I could sleep 8-9 hrs solid too Midnight. Anxiety seems to throw a whopping great spanner in the works..............

80schickx
12-01-10, 11:23
I also have trouble sleeping. I have a lavender spray which I spray on my pillow before going to sleep. I think I will also try to have my bath later on in the evening with lights dimmed. My problem is that I have trouble relaxing and I have a million thoughts running through my head at any one time which makes it hard to "drop off". I used to be able to fall asleep at the drop of a hat but its so difficult now

KK77
12-01-10, 15:32
Slept really badly last night. I increased my med so I guess that didn't help. My GP seems to think that ADs help sleep because they lift the depression. They probably do if they work against the depression/anxiety, but in the meantime I think they disrupt sleep.

Some ADs are certainly worse than others for messing with sleep. Fluoxetine was the worst. Didn't have a decent night's sleep on it. Citalopram was better and probably = to sertraline which I'm now on. Paroxetine was OK. Mirtazapine and trazodone were helpful but not in other departments, ie depression.

I've put off taking the dreaded Zzzz tabs but tonight I'll just have to pop one, even if it means I feel drugged and dopey the next day......

KK77
12-01-10, 15:38
I think I will also try to have my bath later on in the evening with lights dimmed.

That sounds very romantic - I'll try it tonight .... maybe some candles too! :winks:

JaneC
12-01-10, 15:48
Funnily enough, Prozac has been an enormous help to me sleep-wise. I regularly used to still be lying awake at 4am but while I had a bit of trouble getting to sleep last night it doesn't happen very often now.

I do sometimes wake up a couple of times in the night but always get back to sleep.

I was always a big fan of lavendar on my my pillow but don't seem to need it now :yesyes:

KK77
15-01-10, 19:01
Since I've increased my med I've been sleeping even worse - if that's at all possible. Had a warm bath last night and took a zopiclone and fell asleep really quickly, only to be woken by a phone call at 3.30am. Then my brain was buzzing again and I drifted in and out of sleep. Tonight my phone will be switched OFF!

I've read a lot of experiences of people on ADs and its effect on sleep and it does seem to be a very individual thing. A lot of people complain of insomnia coming off the meds too. I think if you have an underlying sleep problem it can go either way.

I'm interested to hear from people that have been on sedatives for a long time. I've been on them on and off for a few months now and my GP isn't very happy about continuing to prescribe them. Nor am I really but don't see any option. Tried antihistamines and herbals too without much success....

staple
15-01-10, 19:31
Hi there
I too have some probs with sleep and at one time I could sleep till the cows come home, now i fall asleep quickly but have early morning waking about 5am and then I cant get back to sleep but I try and lie there and just rest, which takes some practice, this works for me and I can usually function the next day ps no caffeine after 6pm
Michael

LJL
15-01-10, 20:13
Melancholia 77 - I have been on Zopiclone since August (don't whether you would call that a long time or not), after about a month I started breaking them in half and now I have a quarter every night. I have been to the docs today and he just said keep taking the quarter if it helps you sleep, I know that it's not enough to make me sleep but it seems to put my mind at rest and I find the tablets last for ages!!!!

kirstielu
15-01-10, 21:37
my sleeping problems are not falling asleep or not mine are having panic attacks when im at the stage of just about to fall asleep, i jump up and then im scared to go back to sleep so i stay awake and watch the tele untill my eyes cant take it anymore and i fall asleep sat up . This has been happening for months now .

KK77
17-01-10, 21:08
I have been to the docs today and he just said keep taking the quarter if it helps you sleep

My GP's getting a bit funny about continuing to prescribing me zopiclone. He won't put it on repeat and I have to keep seeing him to get it which is annoying. It's a good idea about the 7.5mg tablets. I'll ask him for those next time - that way they'll last longer. I'm taking the 3.75mg at the moment.

At lot of us seem to be having problems with sleep. Even when we manage to fall asleep the problem is staying asleep. Also I think that the quality of our sleep is bad which just lends itself to more misery the next day.

I'm just hoping that the increase in my meds will eventually help me to sleep rather than disrupt it - although last night I did manage a full 7 hours...........

LJL
18-01-10, 11:12
Hey 7 hours that sounds a great. I still get anxious about taking my quarter and keep thinking god it's not going to make me fall asleep but each night I do (mind over matter)

I always read after taking it for about 10 mins and then the next thing it's the morning. I actually think that my medication helps me sleep, god I dont know what I'm going to be like when I go up to 40, I'm never going to get back to work!!!!

KK77
01-02-10, 23:54
Hey 7 hours that sounds a great. I still get anxious about taking my quarter and keep thinking god it's not going to make me fall asleep but each night I do (mind over matter)

I always read after taking it for about 10 mins and then the next thing it's the morning. I actually think that my medication helps me sleep, god I dont know what I'm going to be like when I go up to 40, I'm never going to get back to work!!!!

I've actually been sleeping well these past few weeks - although the last couple of nights haven't been great because I've had things on my mind.

I think that Zop definitely helps me sleep - even the low dose I take - so yeh, looks like we'll be on it for some time to come (even though my GP always makes a fuss about prescribing it ... but still does!) ...

LJL
02-02-10, 12:32
Hi

Glad your managing to sleep better, I went back to work yesterday and was so anxious the night before I took half a tablet, well within 5 mins I couldn't lift my head off the pillow, I was gone. Now back to my little crumb!!!

Did you speak with the doc and go for the 7.5? then break them down so they last longer!!! I have had my last packet for about 2 months and still have lots left!

KK77
02-02-10, 13:35
Hi

Glad your managing to sleep better, I went back to work yesterday and was so anxious the night before I took half a tablet, well within 5 mins I couldn't lift my head off the pillow, I was gone. Now back to my little crumb!!!

Did you speak with the doc and go for the 7.5? then break them down so they last longer!!! I have had my last packet for about 2 months and still have lots left!

Well done for going back to work - hope everything goes well...

Next time I see GP I'll ask for the 7.5mg tabs - I don't know why he never suggested it (sometimes he looks so out of it I wonder whether he takes them himself!). Only prob I have with it is the nasty bitter taste that lasts till the next day. Do you get that?

Put some in the post to me as you have so many left LOL! My aunt takes them too and I have to fight her for them if I run out... What these drugs reduce us to... :lac:

LJL
02-02-10, 14:46
Thanks for the kind words you have left on my post, I'm quite looking forward to going back tomorrow, I'm sure that feeling will wear off soon!

Yes I do get that bitter taste but I take my bit then go and clean my teeth and I found I don't have the taste in the morning, it is an awful taste though, especially when you break them down and you get crumbs it's not nice, it's quite funny trying to bite a tiny bit off!!!

Funny about your doc, ask him if he has any spare going!!

Lis

pussy cat
02-02-10, 21:54
hi there everyone,well i,m another one who has problems sleeping-go to sleep & awake a short time later or just can,t get to sleep at all till 3-4 am. however apart from the warm bath,no caffiene,p/c or p/c games near bed time we all differ in what works for us.i have read that if you wake in the night you shouldn,t lie there trying to get back to sleep longer than approx 20mins-they tell you to get up for a short time,have a drink & possibly a short read & then go back to bed-i have found this does work-also if you nap in the day do it before lunch times (about 2pm) it shouldn,t interfere with your sleep then.anyway i have just read about putting a small piece of cotton wool into your ear before going to bed - it,s supposed to relieve anxiety & promote sleep,it says to push it gently as far in your ear as is sensible-sounds odd to me but i,m going to give it a go-nothing ventured ,nothing gained - anyway read about it yourselves - it,s on page 385 of this forum - sleep well

KK77
09-02-10, 01:05
Thank you Pussy cat. I used to put ear plugs in when I had a tenant because she was so noisy in the mornings - and it doesn't take much to wake me up. She was one of those "stompers" and it drove me insane. I got rid of her in the end of course. Bloody stompers...

I've been sleeping much better. If I don't give in and have a nap in the afternoon, which is very easily done at the moment, then I sleep really well - 8-9 hours recently which is a miracle for me! A good friend here on the forum suggested thyme tea for night sweats caused by my meds and although it tastes well ... it seems to have inadvertently helped with my sleep too. Of course it could be my imagination too...

I'm still on 3.75mg zopiclone and although I'm probably well and truly hooked on them I don't really care at the moment...

So good news for my sleep thread at present.

BexieB
09-02-10, 08:50
hi Mel

It''s great to hear that you're doing so well with the sleep, do you put it down to the AD you''re on? how long have you been on your AD? my sleep is terrible and i'm 13 weeks on seroxat...don't really think it's working for me.

Bexie

frightenedbutterfly
09-02-10, 10:35
Hi :blush:

This thread has been very helpful! Glad you're getting some decent sleep hours in now.

My sleep has been awful for what feels like forever now. The GP gave me 5 days worth of 3.75mg zopiclone a while ago but refuses to give me any more.. I know he's got my best interests at heart but my god I just want to sleep!!!!

Does anyone have any good ways to calm down enough to sleep after being woken by panic?

Sami x

NotResponding
09-02-10, 11:16
With anxiety it's pretty rocky. These days like you, 5 hours. I stay up way too late, but because I'm tireder my mind dosn't work as fast and therfor I worry less.
Bit of a stupid strategy but oh well...last night I did a 5 and I feel wide awake now.
:D

Logan_Five
09-02-10, 18:54
Sami - deep diapraghmatic breathing exercises. A relaxation CD would help you immensely here. Check out one by a lad called Glenn Harrold - it's available on Amazon and for a reasonable price. It helped me a lot. :)

harasgenster
09-02-10, 22:34
I've been getting really depressed about sleep problems recently. I've posted up on the forums a couple of times about it in the last few days. Reading this thread really helped, if only to make me feel a little less self-piteous and a little more motivated to keep trying.

As for my sleep patterns, I am both an insomniac and a deep sleeper! I do get nights where I wake up every half an hour but usually what happens is I stay awake for a very long time (I think my record was 37 hours and I felt horrible but i've seen that some people here have gone longer and my heart goes out to them!), then I feel ill and lie down. After about an hour of just lying there, without sleeping, I suddenly don't feel tired anymore. I get up and try to feel sleepy again and the same happens again and again. When I eventually sleep I usually do so about 2 hours before my alarm goes off and then I just sleep right through it. I've slept through an entire CD on full blast before! Weirdly, though, if someone taps on my door or says my name I jump out of bed. I think maybe I subconsciously know it's my alarm and I just don't want to get up (I'm never looking forward to the day ahead!) whereas if I think someone else needs me I wake immediately.

Has anyone else had any problems sleeping through alarms after a long period without sleep? I tend to sleep about 3 or 4 hours a night now so it's not as bad but I'm still sleeping through my alarm. It wakes my housemates up (which is understandably annoying for them) and if my housemates don't wake me up I'll sleep right through to the afternoon and miss work. I'm going to buy a vibrating alarm to put in my pillow in case that helps but I'd be really grateful for any advice if anyone has suffered the same thing.

Cheers

KK77
10-02-10, 16:59
hi Mel

It''s great to hear that you're doing so well with the sleep, do you put it down to the AD you''re on? how long have you been on your AD? my sleep is terrible and i'm 13 weeks on seroxat...don't really think it's working for me.

Bexie

Hello Bexie

I think that sertraline has helped with my sleep but it's taken a long time to settle. I've been on it for about 4-5 months now but I was on a lower dose to begin with and have increased slowly to 50mg.

I know you've had a difficult time on Seroxat - maybe it's time to speak to your doctor about other options? I think you've given it long enough now...

KK77
07-03-10, 14:02
Well Dr Agreealot agreed (funnily enough!) to give me the 7.5mg zopiclone tablets instead of those 3.75s so it will last me longer and cost less. The only problem is when you cut them in half you lose a bit of the valuable particles in the form of dust LOL! And also it tastes like something straight from Hell.

Sleep has been good on the whole. It could be better but not complaining. Since I changed the weird hunched-up positions I slept in I've been waking up a lot more refreshed but tiredness during the day is still problematic.

I blame the antidepressants :lac:

KK77
12-04-10, 03:26
Well, it's no surprise that since my sleep has turned to poop, my depression has started to rear its ugly head (or is it the other way round?) :lac:

I'm not sure all this cutting a 7.5mg tablet in half is as effective as the 3.75mg ones, although I know that sounds illogical. I'm up again at 3am and I have work tomorrow.

I really should complain...

sketchyboots
12-04-10, 08:35
When my anxiety levels were sky high all i did was sleep - ALL the time, whenever I could. Sleep is the ultimate escape from reality. I had a bereavement and the anxiety was unbearable. I literally slept for about a year, just doing the minimum to get by. So yes, too MUCH sleep can be just as much of a problem as no sleep. After time (and yes, it took lots of time), I got bit better and now I even work early mornings - a miracle! BUT I often still get tired around 3 in the afternoon and often have an hour or two kip. I try not to feel guilty about it, after all if I had a broken leg, I would rest it. I think it's the same with anxiety - it is a type of illness (in so much as it stops you living normal life). Sleep is natures way of coping with the pressure of anxiety. :shrug:

beccam
13-04-10, 00:26
Ive always been a night person going to bed late but then I always slept late (unless I had to be up in the morning) but now I find I don't get to sleep to at least gone one am and wake about 8 I just feel so exhausted.

I wish I could get some sleep as it is an escape from the anxiety.

mapmaker
15-04-10, 17:52
I've gotten about 15 hrs sleep in the last week. My mind is on red alert mode 24/7 and I want to sleep, but my body won't cooperate. It's like I've convinced myself I won't be able to sleep...that I need to stay awake...and that no matter how tired I feel I have to continue this way indefinitely.

Its an awful feeling.. exhaustion is taking it's toll on me...I'm entertaining suicidal thoughts to end my misery. Oh and I'm working to come off valium after being on it for 4 months.
I've gotten an average of 4 hrs sleep a night since last June. when my anxiety started. I've had ups and downs on the amount of sleep I've gotten. This is the worse week of sleep I've had in about 6 months.

Any tips on how to get some sleep for a mind in red alert mode?

KK77
26-05-10, 01:15
Well, my sleeping patterns have turned to poop again :lac: Last night I couldn't sleep till 4.30am and was up at 8am for work. By the afternoon I felt like a zombie on smack and passed out. I'm thinking of trying passiflora but not sure of interactions with zopiclone. If anyone has tried it for sleep, please let me know.

aeroz21
26-05-10, 06:30
Does anybody else have problems with confusion and disorientation when they're becoming awake or are half asleep? I've been having these problems for a few days now - I'm not sure if it's the meds or higher levels of anxiety or what...?

Ronster
26-05-10, 14:11
Melancholia,

I got the same problem as everyone that has responded. This is my deal.

-I always make sure after dinner I have a work out of some sort. Squash, run, walk whatever. Key is to sweat a bit doesn't have to be much and the feel good endorphins are released. Anxiety and depression is releaved for the evening usually. for real! I always feel better after sweating, the harder the work out the better.
- Never eat or drink anyhting that has stimulants in the evening, this works against the feel good endorphins you just aquired. Instead eat and drink relaxing foods these foods have a natural relaxing chemical called Tryptophan in them, bananas are known to be gods natural relaxing pill , green tea, whole grain toast, almonds, and warm milk. I drink cold milk can't do warm.
I usually fall a sleep right away at night, my problem is waking up between 3 and 4. So what I do then is keep all lights low or off you don't want to convert your melatonin to seratonin, in case you don't know melatonin is your natural sleeping chemical which converts to seritonin in the daylight hours your waking hours chemical. I get up make myself two slices of whole grain toast along with one or two bananas, a glass of milk. No tv, reading in fact keep yourself in a relaxed mode I even keep my eyes closed in the dark while eating in my bed. Funny I know but whatever it takes, right! This, most nights will put me back to sleep. Like I said, most nights last night it didn't work so I'm at work today on 4 hours sleep.

]
Lucky for me I am the boss at work and I now have a couch in the staff room where I can have a 30 minute to one hour nap after lunch. If I can get to sleep this always refresh's me for the afternoon. Then of course I go home have dinner and get to my work out. You see it's all in the routine this get's me through it. I just hope I can get rid of this illness all together some day. I'm now just started seeing a phsycologist, second visit today. I'm thinking of CBT. Anybody out there cure this illness with CBT????

Hope this helps,

PLease try i'm sure it may help,

Ron

KK77
04-06-10, 02:34
Good God, Ron! I don't think any boss could put up with me! I work for myself too and although it has its benefits, no work means no pay. I have a nap when I need to in the afternoons which doesn't help with sleeping at night but sometimes I just can't function without it.

Thanks for your input though Ron.

I've been having the weirdest dreams lately. Last night I was fighting to stop Mt Vesuvius from erupting... Strange or what? :wacko: Still haven't got round to trying the herbals but at least I've been sleeping well (despite the dreams).

Anyway, time for my Zzz tab (do NOT try this at home kids...).

KK77
11-11-10, 14:56
Thought I would add to my old thread rather than start another one...

This is all I feel like doing atm. I'm getting 6-7 hours of decent sleep at night but come afternoon and I'm ready for another 6-7 hours pffft. I think it's partly the weather, partly the clocks going back and partly my meds. I have tried getting more sleep at night but I still feel tired during the day so there's no point waking up any later. And I find it depressing getting up after 10-11am. Feels like I've missed most of the day (not that there's much of it anyway).

I still take a low dose of zopiclone. My doctor's happy to prescribe it as sleep disturbances are part of fibromyalgia, which I suffer with. Not ideal taking sleeping tabs but I'm a firm believer in utilising what works. If a drug is no longer doing what it's meant to do, then withdrawals or not, I think it's time to ditch it.

Atm though, it helps.

JaneC
11-11-10, 15:13
Hi Mel, I seem to be needing more sleep again too these last few weeks, and when I'm awake I feel tired a lot of the time as if my CFS has got worse again, although only in some ways. Sometimes I think we should be a hibernating species :yahoo:. I'd prob be a lot slimmer in that case too.

On the other hand, I'm fortunate in that I don't have as much trouble getting to sleep as I did, say even six months ago, which is fantastic as lying there watching the clock is so awful. I've only ever taken "herbal" sleeping tabs and even they made me struggle to get up in the morning, but I'm a firm believer in 'if it works for you, take it".

On days I'm working I don't get home till midnight and will be awake till 3, 4am or worse so my sleeping patterns are a bit screwed up. If I sleep till lunchtime the next day, the day's gone, especially now it's dark so early. But If I get up earlier I'm tired all day. Can't win and it often feels like life is passing you by.

No advice there, sorry, but just some empathy/sympathy x

dabrucru
12-11-10, 10:57
HI PEOPLE, i suffer from anxiety , i sleep better with taking calcium and magnesium before sleeping, i m on 10mg cipralex btw. do some research on dosage etc....

hugs

david

oldtime
24-03-11, 17:53
I'm currently only sleeping 3-4 hours a night and have ordered some melatonin.

Zopiclone works for me but I restrict myself to taking no more than 2 tablets a week. If you take them continuously they stop working after a month and they make your daytime anxiety worse.

My latest strategy is to get up if I wake up in the middle of the night and not try to go back to bed. So if I'm only sleeping 3 hours then I should only be staying 3 hours in bed. The idea is that will make me sleep longer before I wake up. Done this for 2 nights so far getting up at 4am and 4:45am. I don't feel any more tired during the day so far.

KK77
08-04-11, 01:03
Zopiclone works for me but I restrict myself to taking no more than 2 tablets a week. If you take them continuously they stop working after a month and they make your daytime anxiety worse.

I've been taking zopiclone for 2 years now and they work just fine. Bit groggy first thing sometimes but haven't noticed anxiety. It's a relatively short-acting drug so leaves the body pretty quickly - unlike benzos which tend to linger for much longer.

Guess it's 'horses for courses' as a departed member on here used to say ;)

f4Gg0t_43
08-04-11, 18:02
Do you guys ever get bloodshot eyes or headaches from lack of sleep?

ElizabethJane
08-04-11, 18:15
I've been taking zopiclone for 2 years now and they work just fine. Bit groggy first thing sometimes but haven't noticed anxiety. It's a relatively short-acting drug so leaves the body pretty quickly - unlike benzos which tend to linger for much longer.

Guess it's 'horses for courses' as a departed member on here used to say ;)
I'm taking 3.75mg tablets of zopiclone at night. Unfortunately even on this low dose combined with my other meds I'm left feeling hung over and spaced out in the morning. I could always sleep for another hour if I had the time. I have just been prescribed promethazine 25mg at night but I'm not confident that it will have the same effect. I have great trouble getting off to sleep and then staying asleep and waking early. I am under tremendous stress at the moment. I have noticed increased anxiety during the day and I hadn't linked it with the zopiclone. EJ

KK77
06-05-12, 22:29
I've found that I don't need zopiclone every night now. I only take a 3.75mg dose but some nights it's a godsend. I think it's best suited to those who suffer with muscle tension along with insomnia, which is prevalent amongst anxiety sufferers.

However, I want to reduce it to nights when I really need it rather than most nights.