PDA

View Full Version : that 'rush' feeling

Bowny
07-01-10, 08:27
i get this feeling that lasts around 2-3 seconds which is the most frightening symptom i come across. ive just experienced it 3 times in a row.. can anyone explain what this rush is, is it the adrenalin because it scares me senseless. the shortness of breath is also scaring me very much and i cant help but think 'heart attack heart attack' or 'im going to stop breathing'.
Luke

BabyRachel
07-01-10, 08:57
You won't stop beathing, or have a heart attack... It is just the adrenaline rush.. Its horrible, but there isn't anything you can really do about it unfortnatly.... Just try and use abdominal breathing before you start to really panic - it can help avert panic attacks :) x

Bowny
07-01-10, 09:19
thankyou:) so that 2/3 second feeling is the adrenalin then, because it sends me up the creek everytime with panic, i suppose if it was life threatening it would have killed me by now anyway (positive thinking) :yesyes: x

MusicNotes
07-01-10, 10:24
Hey,

I have been getting this on and off the past few days. Like head rush, feels a bit dizzy for a few seconds, closely followed by the panic? Its awful and I know how you feel about it :( It must be adrenalin, and the less we try to think about it the less it will happen I guess. xx

Bowny
07-01-10, 12:01
musicnotes - yes it sounds right, except the rush goes through my whole body at a million miles per hour, it is followed by panic after - but i have been to the doctors today and he says it is adrenalin and it isnt to be feared, like all the symptoms i guessed. i also learnt a technique to calm the attacks, will see if it works when i get one, i hope you are able to find a way to deal with them too mate because they are horrible.

Brunette
07-01-10, 16:48
Yes I get this. Sometimes it starts in my head and at others it starts in the adrenal glands and whooshes upwards. It is usually followed by a rapid heartbeat for a moment or two but soon passes. Try not to worry, just let it pass.

twhitetina
08-01-10, 15:51
i get this from my head to my toe almost feels like my body gets hot or something and the feeling of doom follows I hate it. But I have learned that it is adrenaline I would say not to freak out but I do every-time and I know what it is.

Neuro
08-01-10, 16:17
Recently I've been getting a 'rushing' in my chest.....it could be a virus or just adrenaline.....not likely to be anything bad at all.

Bowny
08-01-10, 16:19
yeah ive come to terms with the fact that its just adrenalin and is essential for that fight or flight response - but everytime i get it i still panic all the time and it scares me horribly. all i do is the fleeing bit, hopefully will be able to stay where i am and control myself next time!

Purple Fish
08-01-10, 17:16
Wow you lot have so hit the nail on the head!

This may be long so sorry! I started getting the `rush` feeling about 2 years ago. It really freaked me out and I described it like a dizzy spell for a couple of seconds cos that`s all it literally was but then I would get this overwhelming feeling of fear and dread. When I first went to the doctors they thought it was to do with my ears so I had them both syringed. I can remember the nurse saying to me that if the dizziness didn`t stop afterwards it could be something else. Well I freaked but managed to keep it all inside and didn`t tell anyone how I was feeling. I Googled which was one of the worst things I could do and you can imagine the kind of things it comes up with.

One day while I was at work I felt a bit stressed and then ended up breaking down and crying in the cloakroom because all the worrying had got to me over the past couple of months. It was my son`s birthday that day too and I really wanted to sort myself out.

My friend at work took me to the doctor and I explained everything to him and had a good howl! Because I had an operation to remove a large ovarian cyst two years beforehand my doctor put all my worries down to Post Traumatic Stress. He prescribed me Prozac which I`ve been on ever since.

One of the symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress is this head rush feeling! I still get the occasional one but I don`t worry about it anymore. I can`t believe how I let it worry so much to the point that I thought I had a serious illness especially after Googling!!

Tanya x

Ella_Jayne
10-01-10, 00:53
I've gotten this rush quite a few times. Just before a major panic attack. For me it's more in my chest and head than anywhere else. It makes me feel weak yet I feel like I could fight an army at the same time. I can only out this down to adrenalin. Haven't died of it yet, so it can't be too serious... :winks:

deejay_sleepy
11-01-10, 18:49
I get this as well. Once you know what it is then it becomes much easier to deal with.

kirstielu
11-01-10, 21:45
i hate the feeling , i had it last night whilst walking the dog to the bank with my hubby , I had to try and keep myself focused whilst walking down the road , i have never experianced it out in public before and normally only occurs when im relaxing at home at night , so this really frightened me . Im still shaken up by it now . I tell myself afterwards ,"you are ok you arnt going to die its just panic " but whilst you are actually going through it ,its hard to rationalise your brain into that way of thinking .At that point my brain is screaming "you are going to collapse ,you are going to faint , your having a heart attack " .

Ella_Jayne
14-01-10, 21:03
Last night I had the 'rush' feeling but it was very intense. I was worrying about blood clots, thinking that I had one somewhere that was going to kill me... Dramatic I know! The rush started in my head and then it spread to my back/chest felt like it was in my lungs. I immediately went straight into a panic attack. Heart racing and so on. Has anyone else had the rush spread from head to chest/back? It was a hot feeling... No pain. Sorry I'm rambling on, I just need a little reassurance... :weep:I've had blood tests a few weeks ago which came back fine, so surely it's not a clot??:blush: I'm 21 by the way.

maybeoneday
14-01-10, 21:38
HI yes ive had them, i know when im going to have one i can sence it coming,i had one yesterday, they start in my head and go through my hole body hot feeling inside your blood, sometimes ive even thought i might wet myself. no pain
ive had them for about 10 years so i think id be dead if they were serious, but they are very frightening, try not to panic i go and do something , ignore threm that way they go away quicker.

Ella_Jayne
14-01-10, 23:34
Maybeoneday, thanks for replying.

I have tried to distract myself but when I get them my mind goes into complete fear and I start walking/running really fast for some reason.

I'll try harder next time (Although hopefully there won't be a nex time) :)

Brunette
15-01-10, 12:33
Hi Ella,

I can't say that the rush "spreads" as such, as it is over in an instant but I certainly get hot for a short while afterwards, especially my hands.

Walking or running away is what your nervous system is programmed to make you do but the feelings will subside more quickly if you stand your ground. Let it wash over you, just shrug and remind yourself it is only adrenaline, you can even tell the panic to get lost because it's not bothering you. Anything that means you are not giving the anxiety the very thing it feeds on will help. :)

mummy4
15-01-10, 12:38
i get this horrible rush feeling too and it scares the hell out of me. it usually starts at the beginning of a panic attack for me :( xx

freeme
15-01-10, 20:00
Yes, the rush is the worst! Someone just came over to visit me and I had the rush mid-conversation... it felt like I was going to faint. That kicked off more panic, of course, and so the cycle continues. The worst is when it happens in a very public place, and unfortunately it seems like it always does lately.