PDA

View Full Version : Glands & Throat

Grundy82
07-01-10, 13:19
Hi all,

Just joined the site as I’ve been worrying about the glands around my neck and jaw, I was hoping could get some reassurance that I’m ok.

About 3 months ago I woke up one morning with swelling below my ear and jaw. I went to the docs and they tested me for mumps, the results came back negative and they just put it down to a virus.

On Boxing Day I woke up with similar sensations again however not the noticeable swelling. Over the New Year and up to now I still have some discomfort, particularly in my ears; feeling like they are always blocked and I need to equalise. I made the mistake last week of looking on the web at the possible cause and since then I’ve been worrying sick.

Since looking on the web I’ve started to feel like I’ve got swelling under my arms as I read that there are glands there, though I’m not sure if reading it has brought it on. In addition, and most worrying since I read the articles on the web I feel like I have a lump / ball of fluff at the bottom of my throat that feels strange when I swallow. Is this common and are there glands there?

I'm not really one to worry, the first time the swelling came I was not bothered at all; it just came and went. At the moment my stomach is churning all the time I think because I’m worrying so much? Last night I could hardly eat which for me is saying something as I have a healthy appetite.

Has anyone else suffered from any of the above and could you offer me some reassurance?

I went to the docs and I’m having a blood test tomorrow......

Thanks in advance

Paul

Katiex
07-01-10, 23:01
Hi Paul

I've been getting the ball of fluff feeling in my throat for 3 weeks now. Its sort of fluttering like I've swallowed a fluffy dandelion. I'm trying out Piriton to see if its allergy related.

As with the lumps in your neck I always get pea sized lumps below my jaw, in my throat and under my arms and sometimes they hurt. They can get a little swollen sometimes but they are nothing to worry about. Even multiple lumps under the armpit area are harmless. It always best to get them checked out but its very rare for it to be cancer.

The churning stomach I have been getting too and I think its anxiety due to me worrying about the throat sensation. Try to relax I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

Grundy82
08-01-10, 16:17
Thanks for the response Kay,

I did some reading around anxiety last night after reading other posts and I’m pretty sure it is what’s causing me to feel the way I do. Since I read up about glands in the neck on the web and got all worked up with the possibilities I started with the lump in the throat, not having any appetite, feeling like my stomach is constantly churning, not being able to get to sleep. It seems to stack up in my head that the worry has caused me to get anxious and brought on all theses symptoms and just made me feel worse.

I’m feeling a bit better today though still got the lump feeling in my throat; just really hoping it will go away soon. Its strange as this morning it seemed to have gone and as the day goes by its almost like it comes back and get progressively worse??

I’ve been for my blood test this morning so fingers cross it will come back all clear…..just 7 day to wait.

Thanks again for replying

Paul

Ronny
08-01-10, 22:19
Hi, all this sounds to me like a virus Glandular Fever sounds familiar,i am pleased you r being checked out with your doc.You r getting yourself stressed with worry re: lump in the throat,anxiety is afunny thing,can bring on all types of symptoms,upset stomach is common I am sure you will b ok try and relax with breathing exercises and some affermations.Good luck with your tests:)

Katiex
09-01-10, 12:33
Its funny you should say that as my throat feeling is fine in a morning then comes on mid afternoon and gets worse at night. I think its because just after waking your throat muscles are relaxed.

Grundy82
12-01-10, 14:09
Hi All,

I’ve just had my blood test results back today and they have come back all normal. I’m feeling much better now however I still have the lump pain in my throat, I really wish it would just go away. I’m going back to see the doc tomorrow to see what she says. Its really weird as in the morning it seems to be ok, however as the day goes on it seems to get worse; almost like I have trapped wind in my chest? Good news is my glands seem to have gone down! Just hope they are not going to swell again anytime soon!

Thanks
Paul