PDA

View Full Version : Newbie de-lurking

Brunette
07-01-10, 16:22
Hi everyone,

I’ve been lurking around this brilliant site for a few months now and thought was about time I joined in.

I suffered my first panic attack last May and needed up in A&E. I knew I’d had too much caffeine (and that is what I told the paramedic) but didn’t know why I was still having symptoms the following morning. So I Googled until I found a list of panic attack symptoms and realised that was what had happened – maybe I shouldn’t have but this case it was a life saver!

Unfortunately the panic attack proved not to be a one-off so, in July I went to the doctor for a blood test and ECG both of which were ok. So, having had my anxiety confirmed, and been given a useful helpline number by the doctor, I decided to tackle it on my own without medication.

Since then may anxiety has improved steadily and I have not had a full-blown panic attack since early August. My anxiety levels increased over Christmas (like most people’s I imagine) but are now settling down again.

How have I managed this? Well, giving up caffeine (obviously!); reading lots of self-help books; listening to relaxation CDs; visiting this site whenever I felt a bit dodgy and finding that every symptom I had, someone else had had before me (just knowing I was not alone was so helpful); having massages and taking up Yoga all helped.

The two things that were absolutely key though were the knowledge of what was happening and the acceptance of it. Now, if I get an adrenaline rush and a racing heart my first reaction is to roll my eyes and think, “Tsk, what’s brought this on? Flipping nuisance.” And a few minutes later I am fine again.

I still have other anxiety symptoms -dizziness, heartburn, palpitations and nausea mainly - and I get fixated on my heartbeat and breathing sometimes but hey, I can live with all that!

Hoping to chat to some of you lovely, supportive people soon. :)

B

diane07
07-01-10, 16:23
Hi Brunette

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

gypsywomen
07-01-10, 16:25
its good you found a way to cope good for you

eeyorelover
07-01-10, 16:50
Wow you've really put some work into researching and coming up with a game plan against anxiety!
That is so Fab!!!!

Welcome to the site!
xxx
Sandy

anotherworrier
07-01-10, 17:02
well done B, sounds like ur anxiety is very controllable. do u suffer from mood swings?

Jimpy
07-01-10, 17:04
Well done!! it's a tough one to deal with I hope it keeps going ok and you go from strength to strength. Looking at the way you have gone at this I am sure you will be fine!

Welcome along!

jim

Brunette
08-01-10, 08:48
Hi all,

Thanks for replying. I don't suffer from mood swings anotherworrier.

I worked out that the root cause of my anxiety is actually impatience/irritability which is why most of my PAs happened on the tube - I'm sure most people living in London can relate to that to some degree. :)

Claire Weekes says something in her book about a woman who preferred to use the term "intense dislike" rather than "fear" and that's what it felt like for me. Let's face it, when you're thinking "I can't stand this, get me out of here!" while knowing you have to put up with it to get home or to work, your body is bound to react to the feeling of being "trapped" with the fight or flight response, it would be odd if it didn't.

Now I just try not to let it bother me so much. What does it matter if I am a bit late? I maybe wait for an emptier tube, take a slightly different route home (with fewer tunnels) in warm weather. Take a couple of Kalms if I'm feeeling irritable. If I do feel a bit odd I try to just sit/stand there and try to "accept" whatever it is I'm feeling. I know I can always get off if I want to - although I never have since that first PA.

It does take practice though! The first couple of months were hell - every day my journeys had me feeling like I wanted to scream or go mad (I called it the "pressure cooker" feeling) and I felt completely wrung out with the effort every evening. I was determined not to let it dictate my life though.

My grandmother and aunt both sufferered from agoraphobia. I didn't want to end up going down the same path. I consider myself lucky to have found so much info about anxiety that, sadly, wouldn't have been available to them.