PDA

View Full Version : Age Groups

Typer
08-01-10, 02:29
Just wondering what age groups we have here. I am 59, will be 60 this year. I wondered if there is a thread anywhere or statistics.

I know anxiety can arrive at any age - but would be so interested in knowing your ages. Of course some people may not want to share.

So your age:

What age were you when you first experienced anxiety:

Bowny
08-01-10, 02:59
Hello mate. I'm 19 now and i was 19 when i had my first attack over a month ago. So i guess that it can occur at any age.

BrendanD93
08-01-10, 03:45
just turned 17 on the 3rd, had my first attack at 16 about 8 months ago.

Andromeda
08-01-10, 03:46
20 , first attack was 5 months ago .

eeyorelover
08-01-10, 05:23
I was around 24 when I had my first panic attack. I'm now 41 :)

Alisonj
08-01-10, 05:24
33 now. Had first attack at 15 after my dad's death.

BabyRachel
08-01-10, 06:15
Had my first attack at 17, im 20 now. But I have had previous mental health issues such as OCD since I was like 10..... lol

pollyanna
08-01-10, 08:35
Im 42, had first panic attack when i was 24,, but would say i had anxiety/ worry before that, but had a depressive illness since i was a teenager.

JaneC
08-01-10, 10:20
I'm 48. Probably had GAD and SA as a child. Various mental health problems off and on ever since :nonono:

tasia
08-01-10, 11:11
Hi there,
Im in my 40s and I first started having panic attacks in my late 20s which carried on to self harming, anxiety and depression after my dad died in my 30s..I dont suffer with depression anymore but do still self harm when very down and suffer with anxiety.

margaret jones
08-01-10, 11:47
Hi I had my first attack when i was 20 and pregnant with my 2nd child but did not know what it was and spent some miserable time thinking i was mad Mental health was not really talked about then , and the local hospital for ( mad people ) thats what it was called was a place to be feared .

Next time that i think i suffered was when i was 36 and starting a buisness Panic Anxiety and Agrophobia Treatment from Gp with valium and private Hypnotherapy treatment got me over that. Over the next 19 yrs i bobbed along with just the odd blip that i coped with . Then at 55 my hubby of 36 yrs left me for a younger model , and wham bam back in to panic mode , however this time i was to stunned to feel the full force of the panic and got through the next 3 yrs with a fearsome survival attitude.Remarried at 58 to a old friend whos wife had died peace prevailed in my mind until wham bam back with HA after needing to have a pacemaker fitted at 64 due to a slow heart rate panic anxiety agrophobia full blown . Now 1 yr later and 1 yr older i am making good progress and hope that the combination of N.M.P. and the brilliant counseller i have had for 6 mnths will allow me to recover .
So from age 20 to 65 oww i have had a lot of panic free times and hope this is my last .

Sorry for going on a bit but shows that if you do suffer whatever age there is always light at the end of the tunnel :)

magpie girl
08-01-10, 12:09
Im 38 now but i had my first major attack aged 30.Looking back and having a better understanding of anxiety,i would say anxiety started in my teens.

Jaco45er
08-01-10, 12:39
Hi there

42, had my first PA at 19 (didn't know what it was) then nothing again till I was 30.

sb001f8994
08-01-10, 12:47
Hi,
Im 48 now and had my first panic attack whist on a trip to London when I was 16. I think I was always a jumpy child, not liking the dark, being frightened of my own shadow etc but wouldnt say I had any problems apart from being bullied at school.
Carol x

KK77
08-01-10, 13:06
I'm 32. Had first PA at around 16 but had depression way before that.

june
08-01-10, 15:01
:hugs:I had first attack age 15 - I am now 66.:ohmy:
BUT it is only the last 10 yrs or so that, talking about it became OK:blush:
Although you can still hear people say "" Oh just get over it"" !!!!
Over what??? I do not know to this day what IT is.
The very first time i saw anything in print was Nicola's article in the Mail.
I have to say I cried for hours reading her story and how in she coped. I took this to my doctor and have had much better understanding from them ever since.
And of course found NMP:yesyes::yesyes:
Best wishes to all
June
:hugs:

leony
08-01-10, 15:12
hi i am 54 had first attack at 52 after very stressful last 12 yrs dad and brother died hubby lost job due to PTSD after army service government no help at all do not want to admit fault very stressful job classroom ass special needs kids in mainstream school 11 to 16 yr olds who are defo getting more uncontrollable threatened with violence and abused verbally on a daily basis so hit a wall 1 morning and found i couldnt cope now retited ill health slowly getting better. will go back to work eventually but not in education somewhere easier and only part time

mave
08-01-10, 15:34
I was 32 when I had my 1st bout and it struck again last March and is still with me, I am 61.

fishman65
08-01-10, 16:02
Aged 44 now,anxiety and panic first experienced at 20.

Fishy

steven67
08-01-10, 16:09
:D hi i am 42 had my 5yrs ago, 37 then after my accident ha since then

Veronica H
08-01-10, 19:21
50....51 in 2 weeks.:)

Veronica

bluebee
08-01-10, 20:47
I am 14 and I've suffered from anxiety for as long as I can remember. When I was very young it was very bad then it started to get better when I reached the age of about 9 but recently it's gone right off the scale again. I had my first panic attack only a few months ago.

sarah jayne
08-01-10, 20:53
I am 28, will be 29 in march. I had my first panic attack 2 1/2 years ago and have been suffering ever since

Corinne
08-01-10, 21:07
I am 62. I was the happiest and healthiest person until I got married. My first anxiety began when I was about 24 with a feeling of a lump in my throat. Everything grew from there. Don't let that make you feel that if you are young with anxiety and HA that you will be like that your whole life. I had many years of freedom from HA. But when it would set in, I would imagine every disease in the book.

Going through a bad patch now and I can't tell you how many diseases I think I have. I have forced myself to move today. I have two loads of laundry going and have finally started to take the Christmas decorations down and packing them away.

I pray a lot too.

fluffy
08-01-10, 23:00
I am 54, and suffered from anxiety since I was at school, but did not realise what it was then. Have had various spells of it all my life, and am coming to terms with the fact that it is always there in the background, but also helps to realise that it is the GAD itself that makes me feel this way, so makes the worries (health, job security etc) slightly easier to deal with

johanna99
08-01-10, 23:32
Hi. I am 42, first panic attack at 18.

NoPoet
08-01-10, 23:45
I feel that I should have an age group all to myself because I'm AWESOME, but fear not, I shall group myself with the mortals in order to help :roflmao::winks:

(And just in case the smilies didn't give it away, that was a joke)

I'm 30. I have always been an anxious person. I over-think things way too much because I cannot switch my brain off. I taught myself to read by sitting on my dad's knee as he read the paper and asking him what certain words were and what they meant.

When I was in the infant school my reading age was comprehensive school level, so by age 6 I already knew about disasters and evildoers who could not be thwarted by four children and a dog of uncertain pedigree.

And things kept on getting crappier until 2009 decided to happen, tipping me over the edge. You sucked, 2009. SUCKED! Aargh!

Jaco45er
09-01-10, 00:33
You are 30 poet? that is a surprise ;)

Maj
09-01-10, 09:53
I'm 51 and believe I was born anxious, honestly! There have been a few times when it was overwhelming and I've always been a worrier.
Myra:)

MOJO
09-01-10, 10:11
I am 52. My anxiety took over my life about a year ago but now I undestand so much more about it I realize that I was having anxiety spells for years. I was even nervous as a child.

ElizabethJane
09-01-10, 10:51
I think that I had a panic attack in school assembly when I was nine. I refused to go into assembly for a year after that. Problems really started when I was about fourteen. Saw a psychiatrist when I was fifteen but still depression not diagnosed until after that. Had a spell in a psychiatric hospital when I was eighteen. I am now forty eight.

Maggie-may
09-01-10, 10:58
I can't remember how old I was when I first had a panic attack, but I have been depressed since I was about 14, I am 49 now and 50 in 11 days!

Neuro
09-01-10, 16:44
Always been an anxious child and exhibited obsessive behaviours before I could spell either of those words. Had a panic attack aged about 14 or 15 and then was okay(ish) for a couple of years before being struck down by a fear of death aged 17.
Currently 18, dispelled the fear of death and now have new, weird, fears.

Typer
09-01-10, 19:52
Thank you all so much. So the ages range from teens to 40's and beyond. I can't help wondering how you all manage day to day. If you are able to work and if you believe there is a cure....that things can be better.

mummy4
09-01-10, 21:31
hey im 26 (27 next month) and i had my first panic attack when i was 17. 4 kids and almost 10 years later im still suffering :(

Typer
10-01-10, 01:01
Then you are very brave. Not sure I would have coped when my kids were small

summersmum
11-01-10, 11:36
im 20 and had anxiety since i was in teens but first panic attack i was 19

BlueWater
11-01-10, 13:08
im 28 and i had my first panic attack when i was 19...

charlotte83
11-01-10, 13:24
I'm 26 and had my first bad anxiety since I was 22, but I've had OCD since I was 16 it just never got unmanageable for a few years

manx_kitty
11-01-10, 13:28
Im 25, i had my first panic attack when i was about 13, i didn't have a clue what panic attacks were at the time but when i started getting them again when i was 17 i got put on anti-depressants because i was anxious all the time.

I had a panic attack in November and have had anxiety and mild depression since then.

unspoken
12-01-10, 12:24
I'm 21 now.

Thinking back, I have always struggled to get to sleep because of thoughts whirring around my brain and I've never known how to switch off my mind. I had my first panic attack when I was 9. I was being bullied at school and I was diagnosed with a specific learning difficulty (dyspraxia). I saw loads of educational psychologists and there are reports about how I hated going to school and didn't get on with other children my age. I got depressed aged 12 and was depressed intermittently through my teenage years. I was diagnosed with anxiety during my 2nd year of university, when I was in a very stressful housing situation. 2009 was a very anxious year for me, I managed to finish my degree with a lot of support from my GP and the university counselling service. I got a job but depression struck me in November on top of anxiety and I had to give it up. And then I found this site and got put on antidepressants by my GP, and I'm waiting to be referred to CBT.

marley
12-01-10, 17:17
I'm two days shy of 25 and I've been anxious... forever. I had separation anxiety as a child, general and health anxiety (mildly) as a teen, and suffer from terrible health anxiety now.

Had my first panic attack at 9 years old. Had them intermittently as a teen. The worst ones have been over the last few months.

Have to agree that 2009 was a shocking year. The first death to really touch me - cancer, of course. My grandmother. I think that's triggered a lot of things. Fear of mortality, illness, loss.

Here's to a better 2010 for all of us! :D

magic girl
12-01-10, 19:32
im 35 and have been suffering on and off since i was 17 and iv been on meds since i was 28:)

Typer
17-01-10, 17:45
Thanks again for your replies. I guess there is no age limit or age restriction. It can appear at an early age, or arrive any time in a life time...and it seems it can disappear.

Corrine not sure if you will check this post again, but you say you were okay until you were married.

This makes me think of another question although it might be too cheeky to ask. Just wondering how many of us feel that our problems/anx/issues have been at least part caused by someone else in our lives

RosieXXX
17-01-10, 18:14
I started getting health anxiety in my twenties; I am sure a build up of stress triggered it. I am now 54 - coping much better now - but it has taken many years to understand my anxiety. Before I discovered this wonderful site I had no idea other people suffered in the same way I have; the support we can give each other helps tremendously.

Typer
18-01-10, 12:43
I agree, this site helps us not to feel alone. Also, not to feel like the odd person by society's standards. There is stigma and so much shame attached to anxiety. This site has helped me understand that many, many people, suffer from anxiety, perhaps everyone does as some point in their lives.

RosieXXX
18-01-10, 16:20
Yes, it is true there is much stigma and shame attached to anxiety, but this site has shown me is how sensitive and compassionate anxiety sufferers are, which is a wonderful virtue.

zowiebowie
18-01-10, 20:28
I am 38 now. Had bouts of depression since the age of 24, had my first panic attack leading to GAD beginning of last November.

BexMindingMind
19-01-10, 02:53
I'm 26 now. Have been experiencing depression off and on since 16 and anxiety for the past three years.

rblt94
19-01-10, 04:23
turning 16, have had anxiety since i was 5

Maudlin
17-05-11, 23:02
I had my first PA attacks when I was 29. Ever since then I have had them on and off. I had good periods when I could work and generally function normally, and now I am 69, an agoraphobic, practically housebound with very little hope I shall ever recover. I still can teach (I used to be an English teacher), but only at home and after one hour I feel worn out due to my SAD. Seems, agewise I belong to the most advanced group here... Best wishes to everyone, Maudlin

blue moon
18-05-11, 03:29
I am 50 something going on 25:D

Pudding
18-05-11, 13:47
Hi Typer

I'm more or less the same age as you, now 58. Had anxiety problems since I was a child really due to an alcoholic father and a mother who left us when I was 14. I can remember having all sorts of odd feelings as a child and teenager without really realising what they were. I now know of course that it was anxiety but I can honestly say I have never had a panic attack as many people describe, however I have panicked on many, many occasions to the point of hysteria almost. Oh joy!

Fran

nanny
18-05-11, 16:18
Hi There
I have just turned 52, i have always always been a worrier but my severe anxiety started when i was 39 and has got worse since.:weep:

KayleighJane
18-05-11, 17:01
hello i am 24 and will be turning 25 in august x

Maudlin
21-05-11, 08:50
first series of PA attacks quite unexpectedly when I was 29, now I am 69, and after better and worse years, am still agoraphobic and isolated. Would not wish it on the worst enemy. Take care, Maudlin

geejaybee
21-05-11, 08:55
55, 56 in september and anxiety started march 2010. Came out of the blue and its killing me. Dont feel like I'll see many more birthdays as if this doesn't kill me, I'm afraid I may do it myself just to escape it.

pinkdove
21-05-11, 09:52
:) I am 56 will be 57 in june, had anxiety all my adult life, but had a breakdown last year, still not 100% but getting there !!! so yes it can affect any age group, but this site is a lifesaver, it really helps. :roflmao:

Meewah
21-05-11, 18:55
I did a pole sometime ago. I will see if I can find it....

Mee

Meewah
21-05-11, 18:59
Its here...

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=27766&highlight=age+poll

Hope this helps...

Mee

Laneybc
21-05-11, 20:18
51, first significant problems with anxiety cropped up in my mid 20s.

katiep
21-05-11, 21:45
im 41 now had first attack at 31 x

ivegone!
22-05-11, 21:41
hi i have severe anxiety and panic disorder started when i was 17 but i think i had had the odd panic attack before maybe as young as 8 or 9 im 28 now and still suffer!!

daybyday
22-05-11, 23:01
Female 55 here and would like to talk with others in my female age bracket. :-)
I wonder if we could have age group sections in nmp. And like minded beliefs too.

annette1
22-05-11, 23:33
Female 54, an age group section would be great. I have cPTSD, diagnosed 2008 following a period of PA's, anxiety, depression & physical illness.

daybyday
22-05-11, 23:34
So who do we talk with about an age group section. I thought I was one of the few older folks here.
I forgot to mention my anxiety life. Anxious as a child, with relief here and there only at a lower level of intensity, never really gone. I am in counseling and hope this helps as we are looking into WHY in the world do I think this way. :-)

soulboydk
08-06-11, 05:44
I has some mental problems from 5 and was seeing Phy said I would get over it, but had my 1st Panic attack at 14 I am now 50.

PleaseHelpMe
08-06-11, 13:12
I am at 24 year old female and do not remember a time where I wasn't 'extremely nervous' or prone to anxiety attacks.

Typer
10-06-11, 01:13
Such an across the board set of age groups. Its nice to mix it all up and shows how anyone at any age can be affected. I hate to see the young people having this.

It would be nice to have an older group board to....just so e can find each other quickly because even though we suffer all the same, each age can have its own set of problems. Its hard to find people my age without scrolling through all the posts and then checking out profiles. I am 61 by the way

ciccone-hassell
11-06-11, 15:44
32 started with this problem when i was 18 :(

thin ice
11-06-11, 15:59
ive just reached 34, ive been depressed since i was a wee boy and it lead to bad anxiety.

tee123
11-06-11, 16:49
I'm 43 and had first hospitalization at age of 17 for severe psychosis, panic attacks and anxiety. On and off drugs until I finally accepted that I couldn't be without them at the age of 30. x

dabrucru
11-06-11, 20:25
36, male, about a year ago due to relationship problems, now the problem are solved but anxiety stayed...lol... i ve always been a worrier though

daybyday
11-06-11, 20:30
I'm 55 female. I remember anxiety back to age 5 on and off.

daybyday
11-06-11, 20:58
Hope someone responds about setting up age group sections if possible.

JohnBliss
12-06-11, 18:18
I'm 67-I first suffered from occasional anxiety/ panic attacks in my early 20's but it became a daily problem just before I turned 40
Regards
John

linjoy
12-06-11, 19:43
Hi I've just gone 63 had anxiety since about aged 22years. Father had it and my brother and his daughter suffer from it as well. I wonder if it is hereditary

trish1955
13-06-11, 08:18
So who do we talk with about an age group section. I thought I was one of the few older folks here.
I forgot to mention my anxiety life. Anxious as a child, with relief here and there only at a lower level of intensity, never really gone. I am in counseling and hope this helps as we are looking into WHY in the world do I think this way. :-)hiya i to am an older one lol i been this way on an off for over 40yrs like you its never realy gone just coped sometimes i am haveing cbt wich i find myself under so much pressure just wanted to ask what counseling yr haveing i had one 10yrs ago she was good but she left and i was left with nothing that was 2005 the worst thing was such alot of bad stuff happend that yr as well only just got some thing goin now wich i dont feel happy with cbt more about doing things without any talking my thearpy bk in 2005 we did alot of talking and home work dont feel cbt is for me realy thinking of quiting they say i am doin good i dont feel good sorry about goin on jst got carried away lol take care all the best lv trish

perseverence
13-06-11, 10:48
Hi everyone I am almost 66(this year) had anxiety since I was 5,but they called it a Bilious attack back then,I am living proof that it doesn't harm you physically,but it certainly exhausts you,this morning I felt (1 out of ten)but I will try and get through the day as best as I can.Take care all:)

MardyBum
13-06-11, 10:58
ive just turned 31 but suffered from my first attack at 25 xx

mrk74
13-06-11, 15:04
Hi, im 37 and have had anxiety problems since I was about 19.

Maudlin
28-10-14, 17:25
re A

I am now 72 and had my first panic and anxiety atack when I was around 30 yrs old. Due to traumatic events in my personal and professional life. Practically have had them ever since on and off and live on some kind of medication most of the time.. Take care of yourselves, Maudlin

tricia56
28-10-14, 18:38
hi im 58 think I started suffering anxiety in 1999 just before my farther died in 2000 but didn't realize it until about 2004 when it really hit me as I was having a lot of sress and traumas going on then, had anxiety ever since everyday,

HollieeB
28-10-14, 21:50
im 19, have had anxiety since I was roughly 9, but had my first panic attack when I was 16

Boingboingboing
28-10-14, 22:08
Hi There Im 44 yrs old had my first attack 14 yrs ago and suffered with GAD and panic ever since :unsure:

old fred
29-10-14, 20:39
I am now 66 and my first panic attack was around the age of 20 had anxiety and panic attacks ever since.

Sunflower2
29-10-14, 21:23
22, first panic attack 20, anxiety since I was a child!

BikerMatt
04-11-14, 22:29
41, it first uncontrollably hit me at 33 but looking back have had anxiety issues for a long time.