PDA

View Full Version : Depression

LooksLikeRain
27-11-05, 08:42
I've been diagnosed with depression for years. I think about 3 years. I went a year without being diagnosed before it was realized.
I've been on anti-depressants Paxil and Celexa, and now I'm currently taking Zoloft.

At first, I thought Zoloft was really helping, but I'm not too sure. I'm still having depressing feelings, troubling sleeping and worry and every now and then, I get anxiety. I really just want to feel happy and not wory for once in my life.

What should I do? What do you all think?

We Don't Have To Live In Fear No More

ERP
27-11-05, 11:40
Hi there,

Not that I can relate to depression but the symptoms I get from anxiety attacks make me feel very low.

Depression as far as I'm aware can be caused by a reduction in certain brain chemicals such as serotonine. I don't know if there is a good supplement containing this element for you?

Maybe chat to your doctor about this option and see what they say.

Take care and remember you're not alone.

Elly

Karen
27-11-05, 15:47
Hi Lookslikerain

Sorry to hear you are currently experiencing depression and anxiety. Antidepressant medication can help some people by reducing some of the symptoms of depression, and of anxiety too in some cases, but medication alone doesn't solve the problem and isn't a cure.

Have you had any therapy at all? If not, this is something you might like to discuss with your doctor.

A therapist who uses a solution-focused approach, that is will help you to develop strategies to address your difficulties and get your needs met more effectively would be most beneficial.

Let us know how you get on. We are here to support too.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

LooksLikeRain
28-11-05, 05:34
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Lookslikerain

Sorry to hear you are currently experiencing depression and anxiety. Antidepressant medication can help some people by reducing some of the symptoms of depression, and of anxiety too in some cases, but medication alone doesn't solve the problem and isn't a cure.

Have you had any therapy at all? If not, this is something you might like to discuss with your doctor.

A therapist who uses a solution-focused approach, that is will help you to develop strategies to address your difficulties and get your needs met more effectively would be most beneficial.

Let us know how you get on. We are here to support too.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

<div align="right">Originally posted by Karen - 27 November 2005 : 15:47:50</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

I used to go to therapy a few years ago.. and I was going back to therapy.. I only had one session and mom stopped because she couldn't afford it anymore.
So needless to say, no matter how badly I'd want to go, I can't.

I'm afraid if I tell my mom that I want to go, she'll get upset and she'll try to ask why I'm so depressed...
and it's just hard for me to explain things to her! I can't take to her!

I know medication doesn't help.. sometimes it can make it worse.. but I dunno what else to do...

Sax
21-12-05, 09:40
Hey Rain,

I'm sorry you are feeling low, tis a hard time when you slip and are struggling again with feelings you don't want to feel!
Have you been back to discuss this with your Dr, there are many anti Ds out there so maybe although you have had a couple before maybe a change in meds or at least upping the dose maybe a little relief.
Its such a shame the counselling costs, are there no agencies which offer free counselling (sorry I don't know the set up where you are, we obviously have free counselling if referred via the GP)?

Keep offloading your thoughts and feelings on here, it will help you becasue if you are struggling talking in real life then getting some support on here will hopefully make you feel a little lighter.

Take care and here to listen

Sax xxx also maybe see you in chat room, often helps to discuss things when you are feeling alone!

"Friends are the like the stars......you can't always see them but they are always there!"

LooksLikeRain
23-12-05, 05:54
hey everyone.
I thought I'd update and let you all know how I'm doing so that way, no one gets worried.

I went back to my doctor and told him that I've been feeling depressed, so he uppered the dosage of my Zoloft and I'm now taking 100mg.
I've been taking this for about a week or so.. Not too much of a difference yet, but I've been feeling happy cause of my boyfriend. He's really being there for me.