PDA

View Full Version : anyone feel like they are on too many meds?

Alisonj
08-01-10, 16:09
Whenever I see someone other than my family doc they always comment on my meds and why I take so many. Which typically makes me worry it will affect my health. Is there anyone out there that takes as many Mental health" type meds? I take Propanolol, Ativan, Klonopin, Paxil and Trazodone. I take the propanolol for tremors, trazodone to sleep and the others for my anxiety.

guitarpants
08-01-10, 19:51
The basic rule is that you shouldn't have more than one in each family of drug. I see you have a beta blocker, but you are taking two diazepines, ativan and klonopin. I would consider which one works better for you, and only take that one. You should not take any more than one anti-depressant medication. That can cause serotonin syndrome which can be potentially fatal, I see you're only taking paxil. I don't know what trazodone is however.

Alisonj
09-01-10, 00:59
I am not sure what class or type trazodone is either. I take it to sleep as I have horrible insomnia otherwise. Thank you for your reply, I was starting to get anxious because no one had replied.

Alisonj
09-01-10, 01:03
this is what I found about trazodone
is a psychoactive drug of the piperazine and triazolopyridine chemical classes that has antidepressant, anxiolytic, and hypnotic properties

guitarpants
09-01-10, 07:45
I would get in touch with your doctor or psychiatrist. You do actually have a bit too many. I'd say one of each in each family of drugs is ok, but you are taking two types of antidepressants and two types of anti-anxiety medications. This can potentially be dangerous.

joyce1980
10-01-10, 11:30
Hey there,

I think you should see a psychiatrist as they are Drs who deal with these kind of meds, you know perhaps being on so many is keeping you mentally unewll:ohmy:

Definitely go to a well recommended psychiatrist !! I did and he was brilliant :yesyes:

Also you know some of the sleeping meds you are on are very addictive and I would hate for you to have trouble getting off them

But before you make any decisions make that appointment :bighug1:

Let me know how you go and all the best.

I use to be on paroxetine i'm now on sertraline