PDA

View Full Version : Just started taking Mirtazapine

pacman
08-01-10, 20:50
Just started taking mirtazapine thought id post my experiances here so that it may help others ...

Day 1 - 30mg 10pm Slept VERY well (seemed to sedate me after 30mins), problems getting out of bed, nap at lunchtime. Spaced out completely until 7pm when i started to come round. Was unsure as to whether to take it again on day 2... Felt much worse (down) than before i started taking it.

Day 2 - 30mg 8.45pm Slept well, woke a few times in the night but Felt less groggy during the day, emotions and thoughts all over the place. Appetitite increased

Day 3 - 30mg 8.45pm (Ive decided to take it at this time every night) Still quite tired first thing and sleepy at lunchtime. Mood felt quite reflective but generally up and down.

Day 4 - 30mg 8.30pm - considering a glass of wine tonight, also considering altering the dose (the doc said to experiment!) ... probably not a great idea !

*Updated 13/01/10

Day 5 - 15mg 9.30pm - started to feel that 30mg was too much so decided to just take half tonight. Starting to feel more anxious during the day until about lunchtime when it subsides a little

Day 6 - 15mg 7.30pm - felt extremely anxious all day so decided to take them earlier in the evening - not sure they are having much of a sedative effect but am sleeping ok until the 5/6am ish.

Day 7 - 15mg 10.00pm - Really thought i didnt want to take them anymore as anxiety levels really high from 5am - 5pm which im was convinced was down to the medication. Seemed a little calmer in the evening but wondering whether these are really for me. Started feeling i shouldnt have gone down the medication route...

Day 8 - 15mg 8.30pm Slept better, anxiety levels felt more manageable although quite high in the morning

thats all for now... will update again soon

Pacman

smudger
08-01-10, 23:27
Hi. Im on a 15mg dose (was on 40 mg citalopram). Been on it for a month n I have anger issues and its caused me anxiety. Be interested to hear if you do.Gook luck. Hope it helps.x

ElizabethJane
09-01-10, 11:44
Dear Pacman I am also in the mirtazapine club. I'm on 30mg at night. I experienced all the side effects that you describe. Mirtazapine is excellent at alleviating depression. It can increase daytime sedation in the first few weeks. This should lessen after a few weeks. Appetite problems are more difficult as you will put on weight. Try to eat healthily ie low fat and sugar and plenty of fruit and veggies. Are you sure that your GP said you could experiment with the dose? I would think that this is a risky strategy as your body gets used to the levels of the drug in your blood. Let the GP decide how much you should take. Best wishes.

sunshine-lady
10-01-10, 00:51
I also take Mirtazapine (along with other meds). I am currently taking 30mg at night, came down from 45mg last year. I have been quite lucky with Mirtazapine as I have not really had any severe adverse side effects. My appetite went sky high when I first started taking them, but this passed after a short time (thank god).

I am suprised that your Dr has given you 30mg as a starting dose, they usually start people on 15mg and increase gradually from there. I am even more suprised that your Dr suggested that you experiment with them!! I agree with ElizabethJane that it is a risky strategy. Mirtazapine, like any antidepressent, takes time to work and get the correct amount in your body. The same dose should be taken to maintain the best effect.

Good luck and keep us informed on how things go xx

pacman
10-01-10, 19:56
Have felt quite zonked out for the first few days - need some encouragement from those who it has worked for to keep me going :)

ElizabethJane
10-01-10, 23:18
Dear Pacman all I can say is to keep persevering. The drowsiness will lessen as the mirtazapine begins to kick in and your depression will start to lift. Do not interfere with the dosage I would stick with the 30mg that you have been given. This time I was started with 30mg but I had taken it previously. I am having a blip at the moment so considering going up to 45mg but the psychiatrist has suggested it. If you are not beginning to feel better after a month then that is the time to go back to your GP.

pacman
18-01-10, 21:38
Day 9 - 15mg Moods up and down,

Day 10 - 15mg Had a beer today and felt very sleepy, asleep by 9 slept for 12hrs :)

Day 11 - 15mg Starting to understand why people put on weight with this, just feel the need to always be picking at food. Mood improved slightly

Day 12 -15mg, picking at food all day, need to try and keep eating just fruit/veg and not toast+butter. Axiety is reduced, sleeping well and have a general level of calm which is nice. Doesnt feel as false as i thought it might...

Updates again in a few days...

Just out of interest do people taper these when they feel better ? How is it done, im assuming no one just stops taking them ?

ElizabethJane
19-01-10, 08:47
I don't think you should just stop taking mirtazapine. You could end up feeling seriously ill. I had horrendous withdrawals when I stopped taking mirtazapine. In my honest opnion you should continue taking mirtazapine for at least six months until some stability is shown. Only then will your doctor allow you to taper them off. 15mg is still considered by some to be a maintenace dose and your doctor may well put you up to 30mg. Two weeks is not a long enough period to say whether you are benefiting from the drug or not. In all cases it is something you should be discussing with your GP or psychiatrist. Never just stop taking a drug without risking serious side effects. Best wishes.

Redrainbow
19-01-10, 09:31
Hi Pacman,
Thanks so much for your posting your expierances on Mirtazapine, i'm on 30mgs too. I was wondering why some days i feel so low and down, yesterday was one of them days. But! I did manage to get 6 whole hours sleep last night, woke up a couple of times but not to bad all in all, and not such vicious nightmares either. I can relate to almost everything your saying in your post. I have been finding that sometimes i just don't know what i'm doing. Do you find it affects your memory, as i am finding this, Regards Wayne.

pacman
19-01-10, 21:52
Hi, just to be clear :) I have no intention of just stopping them, I was just wondering what others had done once they felt better. And yes I too have memory issues although nothing that ive been overly concerned about.

Also agree that 2 weeks use (infact its two weeks to the day today that I started taking them) is way too early to feel whether they are making any real difference and i intend to keep taking 15mg for at least a month.

Generally speaking though, I do feel a little better, anxiety is less, sleep is much better and i feel they have given me the strength to get through these last few tough weeks.

I will keep posting a day by day account (as long as my memory holds out)

Thanks for the replies everyone, its good to get others experiances too

robbie1971
20-01-10, 12:33
My doctor put me on mirtazapine for my panic attacks and depression and to be honest I wish i never had started them. I have been off them now for 2 weeks and i'm in absolute hell with withdrawel from them i feel as if i am completely back to square one. Does anyone have any idea how long these naty withdrawel symptoms will last as i feel terrible. Mirtazapine did work for the two years i was on them but i put on 2 stone in weight which is rapidly coming off again now i've stopped taking them they made me have mood swings i would shout at my partner for no reason i was irrational and i belive although they relieved my panic attacks they have toatally messed my head up. My advice to anyone taking these is to be careful with them because when you try and stop them you will go through absolute hell and i even used a taper regime with them.

smudger
20-01-10, 17:54
robbie1971 that really scares me coz I intend at the very 1st opportunity to get off these bloody tablets but Ill do it slowly. I hate them and sometimes wish I'd never started them because Im definately not the same sociable patient person I used to be . My good days are getting more, my bad days less (started week before xmas) and my anxiety n shakey hands are lessening so thats the positives. My gripe is my temper. Im STILL mega irritable and really intolerant and angry all the time. Anger is my worst issue coz its ruining my relationship with my 9 yr old daughter coz naturally kids always test Mums limits!Thats their job!I don't want to be a SHOUTY Mother like I am at the moment!The weight thing, well I'm dealing with that now as Ive gone from doing no exercise to exercising 4 sometimes 5 days a week for an hour and I'm eating more healthy. Its SO beneficial I cant promote it enough!It was hard to do something about it though but the sweet cravings are lessening too so I'm feeling less sluggish!So good to follow pacman's diary. Makes me feel human coz I understand what hes going through.We will get through this!

imp3rf3ctiknow
20-01-10, 19:51
I have started taking mirtazapine started on the 45mg dose and have been on them for 7 days now i am still feeling realy anxious, finding it hard doing my everyday duities all i want to do is sleep i feel like a zombie.....i have 4 children and a job to hold down should i continue with the mirt or should i stop.

smudger
20-01-10, 20:44
imp3rf3ctiknow, I'd say continue but only take advice on whether you should stop or not from the doctor! If its causing problems with work then you must go see your doc, there are plenty of other less drowsy drugs to try. Your reaction sounds normal this early on. I felt worse and its only recently (some 5 weeks since) its getting better.Why such a high dose though? I was prescribed a straight swap from 30mg citalopram to 15mg mitazapine, 15mg being what most people start on as its the minimum.Can you give more detail?

ElizabethJane
20-01-10, 22:06
I have recently gone up to 45mg of mirtazapine. I have been taking it for five days. I have had mirtazapine previously and withdrawn from it. The withdrawals were horrendous and I needed valium to get me through it. The panic attacks were horrible. I felt as if my flesh was creeping. Saying that it has relieved my depression. I also have lost the weight that I gained whilst on it the first time. I have maintained my weight loss. I am still struggling with getting off to sleep and irritability. I also have a feeling or low threshold to any type of stress. The drowsiness will cease after a few weeks as your body adjusts to the drug. The withdrawals will also stop but they might continue for the next couple of weeks. I did go back onto a drug when I knew I had had such a terrible time withdrawing from it in the first place.

robbie1971
22-01-10, 15:25
Hi All
went back to the doctor today could not cope and she put me back on mirtazapine 15mg maintenance dose as my withdrawel from them was so bad. I took one last night slept like a baby and feel so much better today. These tablets do cause bad withdrawel symptoms and i wish i had never started them because i really think now that's it i will have to be on them for ever and a day as i am not going through the withdrawel of them again. Like i said in previous post they do work eventually for panic and depression but coming off them is living hell and i could not stress enough to anyone if you can avoid these tablets then possibly discuss an alternative with your gp. I feel as if i have failed and even though i feel better today after taking one last night i feel sick in the stomach to the fact that i gave up and started taking them again.

Lullacry
22-01-10, 22:03
hi, just looking for some advice really :S
my names nicola, ive been on mitazipine for about 2 months (maybe 3) now and like all medications they work brilliantly at first but around about the 1month mark they seem to mess me up or just stop working. i love the sleep mitazipine gives me, could live without the hangover effect when i get up before it wears off, but generally fine. lately ive been getting really really angry and i cant work out why. I have been stressed due to exams coursework work money etc and was wondering if im angry because of the medication, angry cause im stressed, or both. i dont want to come off these yet, i need to be as stable as i can so i dont screw up college again. Has anyone else felt irrationably angry and tearful ? :S x

*plus this is a last resort medication from my doctor as he's perscribed me lots of dif medication in past years

imp3rf3ctiknow
22-01-10, 23:23
i realy dont know why my gp has started me on such a high dose 30mg ...i have been back to see him and he has said that with what i am suffering i.e depression and anxiety...i also witnessed a horrendous ordeal, which is giving me flash backs. That i should continue taking this dose and go back to see him in 3 weeks he is on about upping the medication to 45mg if i dont feel any better? i am just hoping that the medication will start setteling in the next few weeks i feel like i am drunk and finding everyday tasks a chore and hard work i will keep you posted thanks for your reply......

pacman
23-01-10, 14:24
Thanks for all the replies everyone, we are all having completely different experiances with medication and im sorry to hear so many of you are struggling with the effects that mirtazapine is giving some of you.

I too had an awful first few days, totally spaced out and very anxious, even to the point of not wanting to take them again (this was about day 4 i think). Im two weeks in now and they have lifted my mood a little and im coping with the drowsy feeling in the morning, finding that it wears off after a walk. My anxiety has definatley subsided but am finding some days are better than others.

I feel its probably too early to decide what real effect they have had for mood/anxiety so im going to keep taking them and stay open minded.

Ive found they dont mix particulary well with alcohol, Sleep like the dead, and wake up very tired ... so probably wont be doing that again...

Some of the stories of withdrawl sound horrible, so will get some advice from the doctor before i start tapering them.

I havent had any anger issues so far, so fingers crossed that wont be something that effects me.

All the best
Pacman

pacman
23-01-10, 14:37
Day 13 - 15mg Feeling OK today, feel like the tablets are working - Keep telling myself its early days. Contstantly picking at food in the evening, Its funny as before i started taking these i went swimming a few times a week - dont feel like exercising at all at the moment (so havent done any!)

Day 14 - 15mg Another OK day, some work stresses laid to rest so thinking more about the future...

Day 15 - 15mg Am experiancing a more resilliant feeling now, work stresses are easier to deal with and mind isnt constantly going over one thing and worrying all the time. The early mornings are my low point, by about lunchtime i feel like my old self, evenings are mellow and relaxing. The morning thing starts to worry me a little, its like the old anxiety is creeping back in.

Day 16 -15mg, Had a few comments today at work about the fact that I have lost weight - Im not underweight at all (probably average) But made me think that the last 6 months of worry must have taken there toll on me. For a few months i wasnt eating anywhere near as much as usual and exercising alot to combat the anxiety so must have lost some weight (hey its only a good thing) I hope i dont put it all back on with the constant picking. Mood feels average today, Not really up or down. . . Mornings are still a low point, but my mood soon improves

Thanks for reading, keep up the comments,

Best wishes everyone
Pacman

pacman
26-01-10, 19:39
Day 17 - 15mg Feeling OK but early mornings im getting anxiety. This is nothing too extreme and it passes after i get up and eat ...

Day 18 - 15mg Getting headaches now which im sure are from taking this ... Just read Smudgers post and feel soooo much better - its great to hear that people are feeling better even after such a tough time getting there.

Im taking these at the same time every night 8.30pm - when do others take theres ?

smudger
26-01-10, 21:34
Hi pacman, glad u read it and it helped (was hoping it would get better earlier than 46 days though! however, its a tiny percentage of the rest of my life isnt it?)). I take mine at 10pm n Im drowsy before 11. Keep up the good workl.:D

pacman
31-01-10, 14:42
Hi Smudger, just out of interest when you started to feel better was it a gradual thing or did you just wake up one morning and feel better ? I would be really interested to know.

Also hows the appetite, mines getting bigger and bigger by the day !

cheers
Pacman

pacman
31-01-10, 14:48
Day 19 - 15mg General anxiety feeling is fading, am able to cope with what the day brings but do have ups and downs.

Day 20 - 15mg Average day. I feel it would be quite hard to have a full blown panic attack now which is good

Day 21 -15mg, Decided i may start taking them later in the evening as im still waking earlish and not getting properly back to sleep ... Also am falling asleep on the sofa at 9.30. Appetite is much increased now - want to eat all the time ...

Day 22 - Missed a dose today ! Ate waaaaaay too much today then a couple of beers in the pub so felt abit sick on the way home. Decided to skip a dose today as it was very late and also didnt mix well with alcohol last time (was very groggy the next day). Will be interesting to see how i feel the day after without one ...

ElizabethJane
31-01-10, 15:45
Hi there Pacman I am glad that you have managed to stick with the mirtazapine. When do you go back to the docs for a review? I think you that you should have taken your meds last night even though you had had alcohol. I hope that you are not feeling too bad this morning/afternoon? Increased appetite and weight gain are one of the major side effects of this medication. I have managed to keep my weight down but it is hard work. Only diet and exercise have done it for me. It is worth chatting to the docs about this too. If you are still waking early could this mean that the depression is still there? Well done for getting this far with your meds though

pacman
31-01-10, 21:12
Thanks for the comments EJ. I havent been feeling too bad today, even after not taking one last night, but definatley feel more axious than I have done in the past few weeks. Im putting this down to the alcohol too.

will post more soon :)

Pacman

sjr
06-02-10, 15:14
Started on 30mg of zispin last night. Slept well but feel totally zonked today - just wanna sleep. Really hesitant about taking these pills cos everybody seems to put on loads of weight while on them. Couldn't deal with that as I'm already around 2 stone overweight !!! Should I just ask my doc to prescribe me something else?

ElizabethJane
06-02-10, 18:33
Dear Sjr I would try to stick with the mirtazapine if you can . Sedation is very common during the first few weeks but it does get better and your mood will slowly improve. I have taken mirtazapine twice in the last few years. The first time I piled on the weight putting on one and a half stones. This time I went back onto mirtazapine in September. Initially I started to put on weight. With diet and exercise I managed to claw back the weight I had gained. I am still within my healthy weight range for my height. Try to eat heathily and avoid high fat and sugary foods and drinks.

smudger
06-02-10, 18:55
Hi pacman. Sorry I havent posted u sooner. The improvement wasn't sudden. I diaried my weeks and found there were more good days than bad and the good now rule mostly! I still have some bad days when I feel down n angry so I go swimming or to pilates. The appetite thing is still a problem. I find I have binging days n then I eat really healthy for a few days. Ive piled on the weight. I am exercising 3 to 4 times a week but mostly pilates n swimming. Pilates isn' fat burning though. Nevertheless exercise absolutely lifts my mood, I can't recommend it enough. I find alcohol doesn't mix at all with this medication. I love red wine but its just not a good mix. I REALLY miss it. I have had a couple of terrible episodes that coincided with 'time of the month' when I completely lost it (need to speak to doc bout this) but obviously you won't suffer with that luckily!lol!Hope this doesn't put you off cause all our experiences can be very different, mine I am glad to say is more good these days!

JT69
10-02-10, 22:13
Hi, was just wondering if you guys taking mirtazipine are working???? I am signed off sick at the moment and have been for the past 4months due to having an awful time and changing meds. I am due back in March and am really hoping that I will be able to as I feel that will help with the recovery by taking my mind off etc. At this moment i couldnt work the side effects of mirt make me feel sleepy until mid afternoon and I am having awful brain zaps from the quick withdrawal of citalopram. I cant even leave the house at the moment.

JT69
11-02-10, 11:33
Hi I forgot to mention that I only started taking 15ml of mirtazipine last Friday so last night was day 6 having tapered down from citalopram in the period of a week. Did not sleep as well last night though I still feel really drowsy this morning. I shall be doing some excercise shortly to try and help. Still having the awful citalopram withdrawal brain zaps in fact they seem to be worse. Unable to go out at the moment as I feel too spaced out. From mid afternoon to evening I seem to be at my best. I am due back at the GP next Friday when I will of been on the meds for 2 weeks. Desperate to hear from anyone as I feel so low this morning and wonder why the hell we have to go through all this just to be normal!!!! It feels so unfair. Jo.

smudger
11-02-10, 12:12
jt69, I am a housewife now but there is NO WAY I could have gone to work when I started mirtazapine. Like you I was at my best afternoon to evening. I wouldn't recommend this drug to anybody who has a job with high levels of concentration/accuracy or using dangerous machinery. In fact, even driving a car to GET to work would have been a no no for me. Even now Ive been on it for about 10 weeks, I am still a bit drowsy when I get up but luckily thats improving day by day. It was day 46 before I noticed a marked improvement with less side effects (anger still with me though). I changed from 40mg citalopram to 15mg mirtazapine without weaning. We all experience drugs differently though!

JT69
11-02-10, 15:41
Hi Smudger, thanks for your reply...made me feel alot better. Do you mind me asking what time you take the mirtazapine? And how long does the drowsyness last in the morning. My arms and legs feel very heavy too. I think I would feel a whole lot better if I was just experiencing the side effects from the new meds rather than withdrawal and side effects all at the same time. I just pray each day that the next will be better. How long did you take citalopram for?? I have also read that an increase in dose takes away some of the drowsiness??? You are lucky not to have to work and being at home. I just wish I had started this medication in the first place than I would be in a much better place now. Still, am being positive and this site is really helping me. Best wishes. Jo.x

ElizabethJane
11-02-10, 16:15
Dear Jo I am taking mirtazapine 45mg at night. It was hard to continue working when I first went onto mirtazapine but I did it. The afternoons were the worst as I could hardly keep my head from falling onto the table. I think it is recommended to take some time off when first being prescribed mirtazapine but not essential. Now I have great difficulty going off to sleep and take a small 3.75mg zopiclone to help me.

smudger
11-02-10, 16:26
Hi again.I take it 10 pm in evening so by 10.30 I'm drowsy for bed. Arms n legs are like lead weights by then! I wake feeling drunk/groggy in mornings at 7am but I wake up mid morn around 9.30-10ish (I make myself do something active rather than give in to it). I took citalopram for 2 to 3 years (can't remember exactly). I am planning to stop medication or taper next wednesday to see if my irritability/anger subsides without it. Never suffered it till I took mirtazapine. Has helped my mood though which is a shame (except I went mad on first day of my period this time, hubby nearly called a doctor). Don't understand the science that a higher dose is less drowsy but thats what I have read too. Combined with healthy diet and regular exercise (3 to 4 times a week 30 mins to 1 hr each time) I do find the med is good (if only I wasn't so angry about minor things on it!). I had an horrific time when I changed drugs, I am not sure if it was ceasing 40mg citalopram without weaning or the side effect of the new drug. It is the worst I have EVER felt in my life. I wish I new to expect that at the time though because I think I would have coped much better. I really thought I was going looney!lol!NEVER want to experience that again but if I do I think I will cope much better having experienced it already.The looney phase passes thank goodness!Took 46 days though! Much more difficult I am sure if at work. Can understand the need for time off sick totally.:hugs:

ElizabethJane
11-02-10, 17:14
Mirtazapine has been mostly good for me too. Initially I put on a stone and a half in weight. It is the withdrawals that have been terrible for me. Saying that I will have to go through it all again when I come off it. I am very lucky as I work part time in a shop and my boss is a good friend. I would never want to let him down by not going in (it has been a close call recently as I have had a relapse.) I have had long periods when I have been off sick owing to depression in the past and did not want to go through all that again. I'm not sure what Smudger means by a 'looney phase'? Struggling with depression all the time? I have tried duloxetine and seroxat and they did not agree with me. Mirtazapine is a much 'cleaner' drug in that respect. If you can take time off whilst you adjust to your new medication then that is a very good thing to do.

JT69
11-02-10, 18:52
Hi ElizabethJane, did you start on 15ml of mirtazipine or a highter dose? There is no way I could of worked like this, am lucky my manager is understanding though i work for a large company and they do have to support you. I am hoping to return to work in March and just hope I am able to do this, and when I do go back it will be on a re-hab programme so will ease me back in slowly before I do full-time again. i only wish i had started the meds at the start of my absence instead of having to go all through it again. I just hope it will all be worth it in the end. At least in myself I feel alot better its just the withdrawal effects and the side effects from new meds. Actually today has felt my worst day so far, I so hope it is and hope from tomorrow i start to feel less effects. Thanks for your replies its keeping me going at the moment. How long have you taken the meds from and can you remember what it was like at the start? Jo.

ElizabethJane
11-02-10, 19:36
Hi Jo I have been prescribed mirtazapine twice. The first time in 2008 I started on 15mg and experienced all the side effects that you describe the drowsiness and heavy limbs as well as vivid nightmares. My maximum dose was 30mg that time. I was on it for about a year. The second time which was September 2009 I started on 30mg straight away. I did not experience the side effects that I had had previously. I have been on 45mg since about five weeks ago and I am only just feeling the benefit. I would be very worried about taking time off as I have had long periods previously (but not in this employment) I also had time off as I had a hysterectomy two years ago. I've also recently come off dothiepin 150mg. I had been taking this drug almost continually for sixteen years. The only time I was off it was when I was expecting my son. My psychiatrist has also talked about adding in another ssri as well as the mirtazapine but I haven't much liked the idea of that. I think for me that my work keeps me going although it has been a tremendous struggle to get there recently. I have always come through my depressions but I have often felt desperate and despairing. All I can say is that it will pass. Enlist as much help and support and keep talking. Confide in one person. Mirtazapine gets mixed posts on here so I hope that you manage to find the good parts in what people are saying.

JT69
11-02-10, 20:10
Hi EJ Thanks for that. I have alot in common with you but with different meds. When I first suffered in 1999 I was put on Prozac which had no effect I then went on Dothiepin before finally been given Citalopram which I have taken from around 2000 until just recently. I did come completely off the drug on two occasions but found that when I had a bad episode I really went down. Unfortunately for me this last period started in October 09 and even though I knew the signs and started taking the meds I didnt do it early enough and went right down. The citalopram was slowly increased to 40ml but I was up and down would have one really good week and then a few really bad days. During this time I tried unsucessfully to return to work but just couldnt cope and ended up coming home in a terriable state, it was just too early. I know that when I become stable work will help me as it always has in the past. I just need to get to that stage.I think looking back the GP took me off Citalopram too quickly as I know the awful side effects coming off the drug from the past and knew I usually had to take months to taper right down, so tapering down in a week was not ideal but have had to do that to be able to take the mirtazipine and get that into my system. Mentally I feel much better than I have in months but its just the side effects from both that are dragging me down. The citalopram causes like brain zaps going through your body and feel terriable. I remain as positive as I can be that I will eventually feel normal again cos at the moment I dont feel like I am in control of my body if you know what I mean....its so nice to chat to someone, makes you feel a whole lot better. You are lucky you are under a psychiatrist as aposed to gp as they must understand drugs so much more I have never been given that opportunity. It makes me actually wonder if your psychiatrist is talking to you about conbining with a ssri why the gp took me off citalopram so quickly as that being a srri I may have been able to come off that slowly and take the mirtazipine at the same time??? I dont know. i am where I am and just hope each day becomes better.

ElizabethJane
12-02-10, 16:41
Hi Jo I hope that you are able to find this thread again. Mirtazapine is an snri and not an ssri so they work in different ways. I have severe recurrent depressive disorder and a history of sucidal thoughts plus hospital admissions in the past. I am resistant to being 'over medicated' but it has been a close call this time as I have been very depressed and not sleeping. I am very very lucky as I have a brilliant psychiatrist. He is the best I have ever had. However I see him at the Priory which isn't cheap as my health insurance has run out. Still I think that he is worth it. However he is a psychiatrist and they way psychiatrists deal with a problem is to usually hand out more tablets or 'adjust' our meds. I trust him with my emotions. I have had many types of therapy in the past and all have helped in their way. Now it is inappropriate to have any more. I occasionally have hypnotherapy (which I pay for) but apart from that I try to lead my life as best that I can. I would ask your GP to refer you to a psychiatrist. If you have health insurance you might be able to see someone privately. Having time off then a phased return to work sounds like a good strategy to me.

JT69
12-02-10, 18:20
Hi EJ have found the thread, as a new user it takes some working out when you post things but I tend to get there in the end. I suffer with bouts of depression and anxiety. I am usually able to carry on working throughout even though it becomes difficult and I have to push myself. It helps me doing this. This last period of depression/anxiety has been the worst I have ever had hence the change in meds. I went up to 40ml of citalopram and found i was having one good week then one bad week so it just was not helping. After discussing with my GP the choice I had was Mirtazipine or duloxetine, we went for the mirtazipine as he felt it would be better suited and here I am. Day 7 today of taking the med and I am still getting the awful zaps through my body from the withdrawal of citalopram and feeling heavy/tired and not myself with the mirt. I just hope in the next week these effects start to wear off. I cannot leave the house at the moment due to feeling this way. i did phone the GP and he said my take 2 weeks before I start to feel better. Mentally I have no depression or anxiety which is a good sign. Sounds like you have had alot of treatment in the past and been through an awful lot, makes my problems sound so trivial. You are very brave and its good you have a good psychiatrist. Jo

smudger
12-02-10, 18:33
Hi. Just wanted to say what I call my "looney phase" is when I feel like an alien has invaded my body and I behave in a weird way. People must think I am literally looney, barking mad! Its as if I am not me anymore, can't think straight, have paranoia, rage, sobbing, lonely, inferior to everybody, say and do odd things....I almost feel like I AM going mad. I hope I haven't offended either of you with that terminology. Sometimes I have to call myself a looney to laugh at myself in a way otherwise I would go literally mad! It is my way of coping!

ElizabethJane
12-02-10, 18:51
Dear Jo It does not really matter what you post here most is acceptable apart from offensive stuff or spamming or irrelevance so post away.. I have had an eventful life but most people only know a small part of it. It is just the way that it is and hopefully I have moved on from it. I suffer from a pretty serious depressive disorder that could potentially disrupt my life if I let it. For most depressives with help be from drugs or therapy or a combination of both manage to get through it. I'm sure that the brain zaps and sleepiness and deadness are the withdrawals and side effects from the mirt and it will get better. I've never had brain zaps but have had depersonalisation. I hope you manage to see your way through it. Are you receiving any therapy such as CBT or talking therapy? To Smudger: I was completely confused when you talked about your looney phase. It sounds absolutely ghastly. Do you feel as if you are losing control or just losing it?

smudger
12-02-10, 22:21
My looney phase is when I just lose control of who I am, even my thoughts and my actions. I literally feel like I'm going mad and I'm lost. It is a horrible feeling. The last time it happened I was sobbing and screaming at my husband "I want you to help me, I can't do this on my own....please just help me..." and then I threw my straighteners across the bedroom and kept on saying "I want to die, I want to die, I'm so tired of feeling like this". I just lost control. I was SO scared. Although I felt like I wanted to die at the time, I don't really want to die because when I am feeling better like now, it is the last thing on my mind. Without my depression, life is good! Its so so horrible. I dread this happening again, it is the worse time for me. :huh:

JT69
13-02-10, 15:07
Hi EJ No I not receiving any CBT or talking therapy, my GP has not offered any of these only the meds. I am starting to benefit from the mirtazipine as I do not feel as depressed and very little anxiety. The drowsiness is wearing off earlier each day too. The zaps remain though and I did read somewhere that they can actually last for months (quite worrying) but when I have reduced citalopram dosage in the past and felt slight zaps they didnt last months so hopefully not. I have been taking mirt for 7 days now and I remain positive thankfully due to this forum even though you obviously do read some negative comments too as we are all different. What did you mean by depersonilisation?? It is very encouraging for me to chat to you and do hope you will continue posting.
Smudger.....I totally understand what you mean by loony phase as I feel like that sometimes too. You just cannot really explain it but you feel that you are going mad, and yes I have often thought I would rather be dead than feel this way but then I think of those that I would leave behind and what it would do to them and I know its not what I really want. Sometimes you just feel you cant take it anymore. Jo.x

smudger
13-02-10, 15:13
JT69, I think it is having my daughter and husband that keeps me going when things get tough. I couldn't bear to cause them pain!

ElizabethJane
13-02-10, 15:19
Depersonalisation is when you feel disconnected. It is like being in a film watching yourself eating and drinking and talking and yet feeling far away. It can happen in stressful situations and it is important to pracice grounding techniques when this happens. I hope this helps.

JT69
13-02-10, 16:10
Smudger, I totally understand! I wouldnt be where I am now if it wasnt for my husband, he is so supportive, I feel so guilty for what I put him and my two children through. They are both so much older now and understand, but when I am depressed I just feel so bad that they have to see me like it. I just thank god I have them and they always offer so much support.

JT69
13-02-10, 16:20
EJ...thanks for that, I am learning so much from this site it really helps. I read that you gained a stone and half at some point whilst taking mirtazipine. I am already overweight and it was one of the reasons I was reluctant to go on this drug but my GP insisted that it was a better choice than duloxetine (having previously tried srri's and they stopped working). My husband bought me a treadmill to help with the depression/anxiety and I am going on this daily for an hour. I find this helps me wake up a little and also love excercise. If I combine this with a healthy diet (even though I am finding it hard to avoid naughty food at the moment) will it keep the weight off??? I dont supose for a minute I will be fortunate to lose any weight which I really need to do but I cannot afford to put on any as this will just add to my problems.