PDA

View Full Version : Anyone off Prozac now?

Purple Fish
08-01-10, 20:25
Hi,

I`ve been taking Prozac (20mg) for 2 years now. My doctor attempted to wean me off by reducing my dose to every other day rather than every day and 6 months later I`m back on every day!

Anyone been weaned off or stopped taking them and been ok?

Tanya x

nomorepanic
08-01-10, 21:13
I stopped it after being on it about 11 months and I was fine.

I went down the CBT route rather than medication and that was over 11 years ago now

mantra
27-02-10, 18:50
I was on it for 7 years, succeeded in quitting. I am hanging in there. There are weird physical reactions. For example, my period stopped. I cry a lot. I believe it is the anger. Feeling cheated somehow. I know there are better ways to deal with problems than popping pills. The human body is a miraculous gift and I dont believe it should be pumped full of avoidable chemicals. Meds are just masking the problems. Now I am confronting them. Anger towards my shrink (I went through a year of therapy before agreeing taking Prozac), towards my parents for wanting me to be on the meds. Anger towards myself for the ignorant choice in taking the stuff. Anger towards myself when agreeing to take the meds at a weak moment.
BUT there is a postive side. Finally I can feel again. I was walking in the park the other day. It was a beautiful day, the trees were beautiful. The trees were communicating to me through being beautiful. When I was on the Prozac I will see and acknowledge beauty but it didn't "touch" me or "talk" to me. I am thankful that once again I can experience this divine right as a human being: to be touched by the world...wether it is positive or negative. BRING IT ON!