PDA

View Full Version : Results from Doc, why haven't I been diagnosed yet???

Ella_Jayne
08-01-10, 23:09
Hi,

I've been suffering with health anxiety for the past 5 months. It started when I had my first panic attack. I thought I was having a heart attack and was about to drop dead. Since then I've battled with palpitations when anxious and general anxiety symptoms.

On Wednesday I had the last of my tests results come back. The doc told me that my 24hour holter results were fine, my heart rate went up to 160 during that day but it was just due to exercise, he said it was in complete sinus rythem (he said thats good) and came down gradually. My echocardiogram was normal, no problems, my thyroid was fine, my resting ECG's were fine, my CBC blood test was fine. Everything fine.:biggrin:

Yet he still said he couldn't be 100% sure that it's anxiety/panic.:ohmy:
Although they are referring me to a anxiety/stress clinic and asked me to come back next month for a check up.:huh:

I mean, what other tests do they need to do in order to diagnose me with panic? They said everything seemed fine. I'm 21 with no family history of heart problems, don't drink or smoke. Why can't/won't they diagnose me wih panic/anxiety?? I'm worried now and don't know what to do.:weep:
The doc asked if I wanted Beta blockers but I said no. My palpitations don't really exist anymore.

Anyone have any ideas as to why they could be hesitating in my diagnosis?:huh:

Thanks

x

loulabella
08-01-10, 23:15
Hiya,

Doc isn't really helping the anxiety here! You sound fine. If there was an issue it's doubtful he'd leave it a month. Beta blockers are used to treat anxiety also hun so I would have thought that is why they were offered. See the Medication link to propranolol - beta blocker used often in anxiety.

:)

Anxious_gal
08-01-10, 23:21
well in Ireland you have to be having symptoms for 6 months and be seeing a doctor until you can be officially diagnosed with anxiety or any mental health problem.
so maybe thats it?

Ella_Jayne
08-01-10, 23:28
well in Ireland you have to be having symptoms for 6 months and be seeing a doctor until you can be officially diagnosed with anxiety or any mental health problem.
so maybe thats it?

Really? Where did you get that information from?

:)

rayman
09-01-10, 00:07
im with u there i went the docs today after all my test came bak normal i still get the skpped beats that send me into a p/a, i got givn beta blockers of my doc, propranolol 10mg witch are ment to be good for anxeity, but like u im not too sure to take them, i no daft! good luck

Anxious_gal
09-01-10, 02:34
I think it was from when I applied for disability, ( i never got it :-( )
and also when my friend was suffering from symptoms of schizophrenia the physiatrist said the same thing about the 6 months, before he was allowed to officially diagnose her n put it on paper.
it may not to be 100% right, just know what I know.

pollyanna
09-01-10, 07:35
hi, mishel is right, for doctors to diagnose many conditions you do need to have suffered symptoms for a set period of time, unfortunately i dont know what the set period of time is in this case, so may or may not be relevant, sorry cant be of more help.

P x

claire m
09-01-10, 08:32
yes i can vaguely remember reading something about 6 mths time period, i started to see my gp in feb for a long standing anxiety problem but it wasnt until august that i was referred for therapy but saying that once i was offered the help i was seen within 2 weeks.

susan c
09-01-10, 14:13
Hey all,

I'm sorry you feel you are having such trouble with your GP. Unfortunately I see this from the flip side of the coin. I went to the GP in April 2008 and told them I was having panic attacks. They took my word for it and handed out pills. No tests, no questions, no real help at all. I think it's great that your GP is trying to do something about ruling out everything first and then working on the anxiety/ panic. I only wish I had such a thorough GP in the beginning. I often questioned if it was actually anxiety I was suffering. I have only recently found a GP who has really helped me.

I hope this helps a little.

Susan
xx