PDA

View Full Version : Random mind chatter or racing thoughts when tired

gaz1983
09-01-10, 14:17
Hi all new member long time sufferer!

Gave up drinking NYE and am now suffering a pretty intense bout of anxiety of depression which seems to strike mainly when im on my own late at night.
If im occupied or with people during the day I am "normal".

Anyways my anxiety has always manifested itself in the fear im going mad type as opposed to a physical illness and lately this fear is becoming unbearable.

I havent slept well for days now either in terms of the hours total or quality of sleep and the other night I was reading whilst quite tired and random words just started appearing in my head exactly like normal mind chatter but words that were completely unrelated to anything I was reading.

It happened about twice and of course freaked me out for the rest of the night mainly due to the fact I was anxious.

This has happened before when I am reading whilst tired in fact many times but in a non anxious state of mind I would of course just dismiss it as an overactive subconscious. I will be reading and random unconnected words will just literally pop into my head always when I am tired and or anxious. It also always happens when I am taking in a lot of information as I am an avid reader and am pretty perceptive and have a good sense of intution.

Of course being an anxiety sufferer we focus on these worrying things and last night whilst in bed unable to sleep the same thing happened again however these were more "racing mind" type thoughts as I was in a very heavy state of anxiety at the time.

These incidents are not "voices" I can tell they are my own thoughts just very random the problem seems to be getting exacabated the more I worry about it which of course in turns leads to more worry.

I guess its troubling me as they the words are completley even though Ive had rather unpleasant "racing thoughts" before as we all have. They dont go on for any long period of time literally one or two words and they dont occur when im not anxious or occupied

My personal belief is that a normal incident ie experiencing them whilst reading an information ladden book whilst tired has been magnified by my anxiety.

My concern is that I really am starting to lose it as you can imagine any input appreciated

Thanks!

lizzie29
09-01-10, 16:06
Hi Gav

Like you said, I'm sure this is just a combination of tiredness and anxiety. I don't think you're losing it by any means - everything seems worse when you're tired and worried, so you probably focussed on this more. And as you said, you then worry about it, which makes it worse!

It's hard to switch off when we're worried, and when you're lying there at night with no real distractions, everything can seem worse. I know it sounds weird, but could you try and find something with a bit of order to focus on - eg song lyrics, where you'd have to think about the words in the certain order, or counting sheep... Maybe a long shot, but you'f have to focus on them so hopefully would distract you a bit. :)

Utility
09-01-10, 17:10
Hi

What is the old saying?

"If you think you're going mad, then you're not."

Just sounds like an active mind trying to relax.

SueBut
09-01-10, 17:20
I have exactly the same and it is only when I am not preoccupied. It must be anxiety as I have just been through a couple of months of very high anxiety. Personally I think it is my brain trying to coax me into panicing as I too think I am going mad but try very hard to pay little attention too it as it would develop into a panic attack. My counsellor told me that when we dream and they make no sense we don't query it and it is just the same - try and pay it no attention and just accept it is your anxiety.x

melvin
09-01-10, 17:58
i also get this when when im anxious had for yrs

gaz1983
09-01-10, 18:43
Thanks for the replies all seriously!

Ive been great all day I swear its caffeine as whenever I dont drink it im fine