PDA

View Full Version : Random mind chatter and or racing thoughts

gaz1983
09-01-10, 14:27
Hi all new member long time sufferer!

Gave up drinking NYE and am now suffering a pretty intense bout of anxiety of depression which seems to strike mainly when im on my own late at night.
If im occupied or with people during the day I am "normal".

Anyways my anxiety has always manifested itself in the fear im going mad type as opposed to a physical illness and lately this fear is becoming unbearable.

I havent slept well for days now either in terms of the hours total or quality of sleep and the other night I was reading whilst quite tired and random words just started appearing in my head exactly like normal mind chatter but words that were completely unrelated to anything I was reading.

It happened about twice and of course freaked me out for the rest of the night mainly due to the fact I was anxious.

This has happened before when I am reading whilst tired in fact many times but in a non anxious state of mind I would of course just dismiss it as an overactive subconscious. I will be reading and random unconnected words will just literally pop into my head always when I am tired and or anxious. It also always happens when I am taking in a lot of information as I am an avid reader and am pretty perceptive and have a good sense of intution.

Of course being an anxiety sufferer we focus on these worrying things and last night whilst in bed unable to sleep the same thing happened again however these were more "racing mind" type thoughts as I was in a very heavy state of anxiety at the time.

These incidents are not "voices" I can tell they are my own thoughts just very random the problem seems to be getting exacabated the more I worry about it which of course in turns leads to more worry.

I guess its troubling me as they the words are completley even though Ive had rather unpleasant "racing thoughts" before as we all have. They dont go on for any long period of time literally one or two words and they dont occur when im not anxious or occupied

My personal belief is that a normal incident ie experiencing them whilst reading an information ladden book whilst tired has been magnified by my anxiety.

My concern is that I really am starting to lose it as you can imagine any input appreciated

Thanks!

Maj
09-01-10, 14:53
No, you are not going mad!! It's only the symptom of a tired, over anxious mind. And because you are a bit scared of it that's why the words still keep popping in!! I had this myself many years ago when I was stressed out of my mind!! When you relax a bit and stop worrying about them they won't matter anymore and will occur less n less. That's great you stopped drinking, but were you drinking a lot and did you maybe not taper down a bit? That's probably why you feel more anxious at the moment, but it will get better.
Myra:hugs:

gypsywomen
09-01-10, 14:59
no your not loosing it dont worry

tasia
09-01-10, 16:29
Hey there,
No you are not loosing it atall, its all to do with suffering with anxiety, actually what you said in your post is all correct you know what is happening to you just try not to be frightened off it...I sometimes get a kind of simular thing when Ive got loads of things to do and I get totally overwhelmed with everything...I call it too much input...feel like my mind is going to explode and it makes me feel very anxious so I sit quiet for a while and it goes away....yeh sometimes i feel like im loosing the plot but im not and neither are you....take care.x

NoPoet
09-01-10, 16:49
Hi Gaz, when are you going abroad?

If you were mentally ill, the "voices" you heard would seem real to you, not just random moments of a fired-up imagination. My therapist calls what you're going through "fear of mental dissolution", i.e. you're afraid that your sanity is becoming damaged or is somehow eroding.

You're under a lot of pressure and during this time your brain needs to blow off some steam. It also seems to be common when people are very tired that random thoughts, phrases and tunes pop into their heads. Concentration also goes out of whack.

Your brain is a machine, and all machines need some down time now and then. :)

Did you go on the holiday?

suzy-sue
09-01-10, 18:26
A few days ago i was feeling really anxious and worn out .As i tried to fall asleep my mind was having weird conversations with itself ,This kept stopping me from falling asleep properly and I kept jolting awake ..Thoughts that seemed like fake memories caused me to think I was going to loose the plot .This I find happens when ive been extremely stressed and anxious ,and reminds me of when I started on my medication .Now I let it do its thing and it gradually goes ,the more sleep and rest I get the quicker im back to myself .Fighting and fearing it is the worst thing you can do ,Its just your tired mind and sensitised nerves playing tricks ,It doesnt mean you are going mad ,If you were you wouldnt be bothered by it ... Sue x

gaz1983
09-01-10, 18:52
Thanks all that is a huge relief to hear I have been great all day today.

The crazy thing is that deep down and in moments of calm like today I know that I am just suffering from anxiety.

I am starting to seriously think that caffeine is re starting these bouts as I had drunk a lot of coke last night I havent touched any caffeine all day today and I feel great ATM.

Psypoet sorry mate have you got me confused I havent been on hols or anything lately althoughj funnily enough me and the gf have been looking for one in May and I plan on emmigrating!! How did you pick that up lol!

Myra thanks for asking yeah I drank quite heavily for weeks solid running up till Xmas (i felt fine then btw) then suddenly stopped dead on Jan 1st and boy did I know about exactly (almost to the minute) twenty four hours later I had horrendous nightmares and a gloomy all encompassing depression that lasted two days this in turn triggered the attacks off.
Guess I underestimated how dependant I was becoming on alcohol plus makes u wonder how many alcoholics wont give up as they know things like this may happen.

NoPoet
09-01-10, 19:03
Nightmares are nothing more than a warning that you're in a state of distress. Dreams and nightmares are just your brain making sense of what you're going through. It is pretty horrible when you have depressing dreams. They'll stop once your mood picks up.

Psypoet sorry mate have you got me confused I havent been on hols or anything lately althoughj funnily enough me and the gf have been looking for one in May and I plan on emmigrating!! How did you pick that up lol!I'm clairvoyant :winks:

Nah I think I must have got you mixed up with someone else about the holiday... my poor brain, I accidentally "ejected" it the last time I went to the toilet.

phil06
13-05-10, 01:28
I've had this symptom back again. Lots of mind chatter, worried I'll go mad, worried when I feel down, worried I'll say something crazy. :blush:

jaded jean
13-05-10, 05:50
I am getting the same again at the moment as having a blip. Its at its worst first thing on wakingso i have to get up and start busying myself around the house.
jean