PDA

View Full Version : Query re: Decongestants

Lottie32
02-02-04, 12:37
This is just a general curiosity thing.

I've had a bad cold this last week and have been taking decongestants containing pseudoephedrine hydrochloride.

Generally I have felt better in myself, less anxious and my tummy has been more settled.

This happened last time I had a cold and took decongestants, but I have only just linked it.

Have a made up a link, or is there something in decongestants that has a theraputic effect?

Obviously I am not taking them once I can breathe again - just curiosity.

Meg / Bryan / Twister? Can you help?

Charlie

vengababe2003
02-02-04, 16:51
Hiya,
I may be wrong, but could there possibly be a tiny amount of alcohol in the decongestants, that would account for the anxious feelings to subside. I use a decongestant nasal spray for my sinus, and never have felt less anxious while taking it, if it is pill form you have been taking then maybe you could be right.
Sorry I couldn't help much.
Donna

Meg
02-02-04, 18:21
Dear Charlie,

Some of them have a bit of a soporific effect.

Many anxious people have a nifty swig of day/night nurse when the going gets rough .Does wonders .

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

benoo5
02-02-04, 19:05
meg,

no wonder all the patients,asked to be put in your ward lol.

charlie...methinks,your well known interlect,has opened up a can of worms...the world health organisation,has been researching many so called cures...how many athletes are currently under investigation,for taking banned drugs,after innocently taking cold cures?

i wont even start talking about horse racing!

hope your feeling better matey....bryan.

nomorepanic
03-02-04, 20:54
I used to use Night Nurse to make me sleep - it was great for that!!

I know you aren't supposed to take it every day but I was. Since I went on the blood-pressure medication I daren't take it anymore which is a shame cos I really could do with some to give me a good nights sleep.

I still used to feel hungover in the morning with it though!

Nicola

stimpy
14-02-04, 03:31
Charlie

You may be feeling more settled because you can breathe better and clearer.
Which is a good thing.

Pseudoephedrine may react badly with other medication, some anti-depressants, pain relief, and beta-blockers. It is always wise to ask your chemist just to make sure you can take this particular type of decongestant.

As long as you feel better, that's the main thing

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

clairey
14-02-04, 17:11
quote:Originally posted by Lottie32

This is just a general curiosity thing.

I've had a bad cold this last week and have been taking decongestants containing pseudoephedrine hydrochloride.

Generally I have felt better in myself, less anxious and my tummy has been more settled.

This happened last time I had a cold and took decongestants, but I have only just linked it.

Have a made up a link, or is there something in decongestants that has a theraputic effect?

Obviously I am not taking them once I can breathe again - just curiosity.

Meg / Bryan / Twister? Can you help?

Charlie

Hi! i just posted a message on beta blokers and have a problem regarding decongestant also

I thought they were stimulating and gave u nervousness and rapid heart beat! thats why i am worried about taking them as i have anxiety.
You say they got rid of your anxiety??? wow!! are you sure? u didnt get nervous at all? [?]

cmitchell

twister
15-02-04, 22:46
i was trying to take some tablets when i had a bad cold and i think it was night nurse that said on the packet 'not to be taken if suffering from anxiety' - that stumped me!

Emily