PDA

View Full Version : Why does it feel worse?

Jilly10
10-01-10, 08:47
Hi there. This is my first post. I have never posted anything, anywhere, so me being here speaks to my desperation! I've experienced anxiety and panic attacks for 8 years or so. I've been on and off medication (mostly on) for those 8 years. The medication always works wonders for me. I see my anxiety as something that pops up, takes a complete hold over me and incapacitates me, I take the medication, and in a few weeks I'm pretty much back to normal. So....6 months ago I was feeling optimistic so stopped the medication again. Now here I am going through another anxious period. This time is feels worse than ever. I returned to my meds right away. I've been taking them since December 19th. I don't feel any better, and almost worse than when I first started. I had a few days in week two where I felt fairly normal. Then, all of the sudden I felt horrible again, so I decided to up my dose from 10mg to 20mg. (the GP knows this now, but didn't comment?) It's been another 2 weeks on the 20mg and the anxiety is gettiing worse by the day. Normally I can sleep but I ended up having 2 or 3 panic attacks last night. My biggest fear is going to work tomorrow! How will I cope! When will it get better! I have read a few posts that suggest waiting 4 or 5 weeks, but geez, I'm exhausted already and not sure how much longer I can hang in there. Any personal experiences that would calm my worries would be greatly appreciated.

Morley
10-01-10, 11:38
Hi I too suffer with panic attacks and extreme worry ( Health Anxiety) I am on sertraline 100mg which helps me sleep but does not take the edge off my worrying much! I try and control it with breathing and I have CBT, the CBT seems to be a slow process but i will keep going..

Sometimes medication can make you feel anxious when you first start taking them, Seroxat made me feel really bad at first! this is a side affect which happens so be patient, they will work eventually, it just takes a few weeks to get back into your system. If I were you I would take a maintenance dose, (i.e) don't come off them just stay on a low dose, say 10mg even when you feel "normal" because anti depressants take weeks to get back into the system.

hope you start feeling better soon..

clairabella
10-01-10, 11:47
hi jilly......sorry to hear your feeling so bad at the moment...ive had a bad episode of anxiety and panic attacks for the past 3 months and its been absolutly unbearable at times.....the worse thing for me is im unable to take any meds as i react very badly to them so im having to go it alone other than support from the gp and mental health team...........maybe you should go back to your gp and tell him how you are feeling.. you may have to change medication...i know myself its trial and error with meds and it can take time to get it right......the only other advice i can give you is to give it time(easier said than done i know!!!)but it does get better....dont put yourself under too much pressure take each day as it comes and live for the moment your in!!I went back to work after a 8 week break and beleive me i struggled at first....but i persevered and had faith in myself that i wouldnt crumble....and i didnt!!!!Reward yourself for the progress you make no matter how small....im sure you will be ok!!!

Jilly10
11-01-10, 18:43
I actually feel somewhat better today! Your messages really gave me hope. Thank you so much. I still feel like I am standing on a fence and wavering towards anxiety or 'normal-ness'. Today it feels like I am at least facing the normal-ness side. What a relief.