PDA

View Full Version : Im scared that my life will be like this forever

pinkcherryhearts
10-01-10, 18:56
The last few weeks have been the worst ever, I have not been able to leave my house since my last panic attack which was the worst ever. Last weekend I stayed over my friends house for 2 days, she has a lovely 1 year old son and i helped her look after him and had a really nice time and didnt want to come home because i knew the anxiety would come back. Even though I enjoyed staying with my friend i also felt jealous because she copes so well with everything and looking after a child is stressful and the thought crossed my mind that I will never be able to have children because of my panic and agoraphobia, i wouldent be able to cope. I cant work because everytime i go out i have a panic attack, it just seems that this is my future, being stuck in a rut with nothing to look forward to. My family are so dissapointed with me, i did a degree and ended up as nothing.:weep:

lajjj
10-01-10, 19:38
hey:) i have been here and i have a child! i have suffered with anxiety for a long time and had spells of not bein able to leave the house,last year i had a very difficult time with panic attacks so bad that i didnt leave the house for 2weeks,but i had to get my self out off the situation for my daughters sake i was determind so i forced my self to start going out it was terrible to start with i was terrified...but nothing happened! i started going for a walk everyday and each time i went a little further but u have to really try hard no matter how bad you feel! i also manage to hold down a job even tho i still suffer with panic attacks. you can do all these things to but you need to belive in yourself i promise you the panic attacks wont harm you ive had them about 15 years through my pregnancy and everything! and nothing has ever happened because of them:)have you seen a doctor etc?xx

ames6767
10-01-10, 19:45
I started having panic attacks about 4 years ago and got pregnant a yr after they started and thought Im going thru with this even though Im housebound, constant state of panic and it was the best thing I ever done. having kids made me have to do things and diverted my attention. I still have bad anxiety but the panic attacks arent as bad and I can get out and about. not saying have children it will take it away but It helps and I think Im a good mum. just want you to know you can have chilldren one day, these panic attacks rob us enough, dont let it take that away. xxxx

hopeless
11-01-10, 08:46
Try not to think that your life will be like it is forever as forever is a long time and things change all the time..You spent time out of your house and with your friend and say that you had a nice time with her so that was positive.Try to take each day as it comes and do not think that you will not be able to have children because of the way you are at the moment.I imagine that you are still quite young so the chances are that you will improve and one day when the time is right you will have children and cope perfectly well just like your friend. I know that it sounds easy to say but try to think of your panic/agrophobia as temporary and a phase that you will learn to manage/conquer. I do not know if you have seen your Gp but it may be a good idea as they can refer you to someone that can help you to start to overcome your fears/phobia..Things can and will improve,nothing is forever.. Good luck

bellabessnjet
11-01-10, 22:56
Hi, have you seen your doctor. I've started CBT and one of the things I do is concentrate on the bad,boring things I do. I was told to write down what I did every hour through the day and rate out of 10 for pleasure and achievement. I found this hard to work out, but as I got used to it it got easier. For example, washing up would get 3 for pleasure, but an 8 fot achievement. Whereas having a bath was A=2 P=8. and just recognising what gives you pleasure can help. I now try to have more me time, but I love playing games,cards etc with my son and hubby, we just need to look for the positives each day/hour and realise that we do have some.
Hope this help, take care
Angela

eeyorelover
11-01-10, 23:21
I have raised 4 children while dealing with anxiety. They are still alive ;)

Seriously tho...
Anxiety doesn't have to control your life forever.
Take your life back a little at a time.
Even the smallest victory is a step forward!
Just don't give in to it and give up!

You didn't end up as nothing!
Your life isn't over!
Start everyday with a positive affirmation and really Try to accomplish something out of your comfort zone and you will make it thru anxiety and be able to do anything you want with your life :)
xxx
Sandy

nomorepanic
11-01-10, 23:59
You have loads of time to make changes to your life and get a grip on this but you have to work very hard at it I am afraid.

It can be done though and your life isn't over

BabyRachel
12-01-10, 00:29
I have the same worries as you. I just did a degree, and I have done nothing with it. I barely leave the house, I worry I will never have a partner and a career and be myself again.

This is depression and fear talking. There have been times in my panic life, when I have gone a year without a panic attack. I know one day we will recover, after lots of work, positive thinking and perserverance.

I suggest if you already havn't go to your GP and tell them the problem, so they can refer you to someone to talk to about it who will have coping strategies for you.

Try going out a little bit every day, out for a walk, down to the shops and try and push yourself just a little bit more every day.

Things will get better for us all soon... xxxx

cat2
17-01-10, 20:49
Hello,
I'm new to this site. I've had this anxiety for too many years, but the last 4 years have been really bad for me after having a panic attack in a crowded train. It was a nightmare and I was taken to a hospital as they didn't know what was wrong with me.. I didn't have a clue until they told me it was a panic attack. Since then everywhere I went I had this terrible fear that I would faint or panic again or even die. I was so scared I tried to avoid doing things I didn't have to do. After a while it became even worse. I quit my job and couldn't leave the house. I got married (don't know how i managed to do that), and thought things would be much better and that I would feel safe.
Nothing has changed.. I bought self help books, went to my doctor for tests, even saw a psychologist who did CBT, but since I couldn't afford it on a weekly basis it wasn't really worth it.
I don't drive so I am depended on my husband. He is being supportive although he doesn't understand why it takes me ages to go out and why i get so scared..
So I feel stuck and i'm so scared it will last forever..
I hardly go out. Today i made myself go for a 10 min walk. I know i should trust myself more. Really scared I will faint. Especially in front of people..

Has anyone found a way to get better?
I used to have panic attacks, but now I can control them becuase I know I cause it.
Thanks,
Cat

Annabelle
18-01-10, 15:32
I have nothing to add except i kow exactly how you feel - i have the same fears and worrys about my future too - just wanted to let you know your not alone

xxx