PDA

View Full Version : In a dilema

SDP
10-01-10, 22:30
Hi Everyone & happy new year!

Last year was probably the worst year for me with regards to my anxiety/panic attacks, I was admitted to hospital with some very scary symptoms & was subjected to many months of neuralogical testing to rule out some nasty illnesses.
I think that going through that was one of the best things that happened to me in years as it really gave me a chance to put my life into perspective & start focusing on getting better.
So as the months passed I started getting better, the old me had trouble going the local shops but now I'm going for family meals & traveling to see relatives in different cities.
I am in no way cured I still feel anxious alot of the time & I still worry about my health in an unhealthy way. I have never taken medication before as I rejected it from my doctor but I feel now that if I want to get better I should take the citalopram offered.

My question is should I keep going the way I am or should I take the citalopram as advised by my doctor?

I really want to go travelling at some point in the next few years but can't see it happening without the assistance of medication as I have tried CBT many times.

Best regards
SDP

Alicat
10-01-10, 23:15
Only you can make that decision but if you feel it would help you, then maybe you should. Good luck!

Bill
11-01-10, 02:38
3 points to consider -

the old me had trouble going the local shops but now I'm going for family meals & traveling to see relatives in different cities.

If you feel you're coping "ok" now, you don't need meds.

I feel now that if I want to get better I should take the citalopram offered.

Meds can help you "feel" better by easing anxiety symptoms but they are not a cure for anxiety which is why if you're now coping "ok", I honestly feel you really don't need them.

I really want to go travelling at some point in the next few years

If you feel you need meds to help you cope with your travelling then consider taking them while you're away to support you but I'd wait until the time comes to see how you feel because if you feel well enough now, you may well find then that you won't need them.

Personally, I only take meds when I feel I really need a little extra support because I feel they are most effective when used short term unless a person is suffering from depression or other such illness.

I think you're doing fine as you are!:)