PDA

View Full Version : Hiya, new on here..Some help or techniques would be appreciated.

Oneday_Emma
10-01-10, 23:12
Hi Everyone. Im new to this site and let me just say firstly how helpful it is. I was diagnosed with a panic disorder over a year ago. I was prescribed beta-blockers, but have never took them. The doctor does not know this, and i hav'nt been back since. I tell myself that i never had this before, and so i know i can get back to normal without the help drugs. My coping techniques have got better, although i have these attacks more frequently. At least everyday maybe more than once. What i really would like advice on, which is the worst time i have these panicky thoughts, is when im driving and come to a red light. Ive already convinced myself before the lights turn red, that if it does im doomed. Not sure why i feel like this, but i gather its because iv worked my self up before im in that situation. I know im in no danger, but at the time i feel like leaving the car, and running off. Which would actually be more embarrassing as id be holding up the traffic and have to return to it, to move it. If i can i will pull over on the pavement, wait for the lights to turn green, then make my way throught them. By this time though im already worked up, and agitated.
Iv tried not listening to music, listening to music, talking to myself, looking around the car and concentrating whats inside it rather than whats going on outside of it. Im a confident driver, and love driving, and this feeling happens id say about 90% of the time. Id dread it if ever i was in a traffic jam and so this is why i would like help. It cant carry on, its taking chunks out of my confidence. Im sure iv tried everything, but im now not so sure. Sorry ive gone on a bit but the more details i give you, hopefully the best advice i will recieve. Emma x

diane07
10-01-10, 23:13
Hi Oneday_Emma

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

poppyfields
10-01-10, 23:37
hi there

i too have similar symptoms to you when driving....its a terrible feeling you get inside you just dread being in a traffic jam etc.

I suffer from general anxiety disorder which means i get an overwhelming feeling of terror and doom out of the blue.

I have good n bad days but when driving i avoid motorways now as i have suffered huge panic attacks whilst stuck in traffic jam not moving car stationary and it scared the life out of me...nowadays i tend to go on the main roads and to keep myself calm i just think if i need to stop i can, i always have a paper bag in the car to help me calm down if i get a panic attack.

i guess i should get on the motorway again and face my fear but i feel when i am driving alone this is impossible to do :-(

your welcome to message me for a chat if you feel you want to

xx

twhitetina
11-01-10, 15:56
I have this too. My therapist says it's cause I don't have control of the situation if I have to get out i can't and that's what sends me into panic. I too set myself up before I even get to a light I'm like turn green, turn green and if it doesn't i flip. there goes the heart rate, weak legs yada yada yada!!!! Your not alone I think a ton of us has this it's common for people with panic disorder. We have to be in control or we flip out. Are you scared of flying? Same situation in my case when I have to fly I totally freak out cause I have no control. I have recently started snapping my fingers at the light and counting how many snaps it takes till the light turns it kinda helps.

best wishes tina

notsobubblychick
11-01-10, 16:13
Hi Emma

Welcome to the site. I've only been here since December and agree its a great place to have found.

I suffer with anxiety and recently had a bad run (back in Nov) of panic attacks. Thankfully much much better now and they have subsided.

I get panicky in some situations when driving - and avoid long distances most of the time as it stresses me out trying to follow instructions and find out where to go!

My problem is the same as 'Poppyfields' in that if I'm in a traffic jam I get panicky. I think that this is due to the fact that I am claustrophobic and feel trapped as I'm not in control and can't go anywhere or out of the situation.

I find motorway driving, particularly on M6 traumatic - especially when there are lorries front and back and up your backside!

I also have a problem in bad weather - both in fog/mist and also when its pouring with snow. Again I think that its connected to my claustrophobic as feel there's no air and being suffocated/not able to breath.

Have you ever had anyone go into the back of you whilst driving Emma? I was wondering if that may have brought this on.

I know its harder said than done, but please try not to give in to it. Driving gives us our independence and without that we could become agoraphobic or a recluse. So hang in there.

Maria

Oneday_Emma
11-01-10, 22:55
Hiya, thanks for the responses. Maria, Ive never had an accident, but whilst i was a passenger in my boyfriends car, another car did crash into the back of us. It never affected me once, if anything i was the one in control, taking down all the info needed and checking all other people involved were alright.
Funny thing is im normally alright if im the first car at the lights, its only if i have to pull up to another and then another pulls up behind me leaving me trapped with no where to go.

MentalCombat
12-01-10, 23:06
you can recover from it, invite it in, ask it to give you a bigger one if it thinks it is so good, tell it, come on is that your best shot, a bit like standing up to a bully?
shaun