PDA

View Full Version : Fear of living

Bill
11-01-10, 03:33
Just something I've been thinking about recently which I thought I'd share to see if others can relate with it.

Have you ever woken up on a Monday morning feeling extremely anxious without being aware of actually thinking anything? Could it be explained purely by the fact that you're dreading going to work and the stress involved at work all week?

What if you don't work but still feel very anxious?

What if you feel the same anxious feelings Every morning whether you work or not?

If so, why when you're not actually aware of thinking anything?

Is this you?

This is what I've been thinking about and this is my theory...

Actually I think there are 2 issues going on which go hand in hand which are both caused by our personalities.

The first issue are Panic Attacks. They first occur when we are feeling overstressed in our lives. Maybe it's a build of pressure or simply just a bad day but once we expereience one attack, we then become afraid of experiencing another attack. They create a "fear of "Feeling" fear" so that when we wake up each morning, our subconscious thinks for us without us realising. For instance, if you're walking along and find a huge hole in front of you, your first thought isn't about falling down it because instinct takes over telling us to stop. We don't actually think anything. It's a learnt response to a known threat to our safety. The fear of feeling fear caused by panics also therefore becomes programmed in our minds so that we wake up with a habit of fearing them and getting through the day ahead.

However, not everyone experiences actual panic attacks and yet they still wake up every morning feeling extremely anxious. This I feel is the second issue. Whether or not we suffer panic attacks, we find every day an effort to get through because we know somwhere along the line we'l be facing fear. This fear could be created by something read in a newspaper, something heard on TV or radio, whilst we're doing something such as simply going out, doing the school run or shopping or even by frightening thoughts that won't leave us alone because all these things stress us.

In other words, whether we experience panics or wake feeling afraid of facing the day for other reasons, we wake with "a fear of Living" because life to us means danger and risk in whatever we hear, see or do. Fear rules our lives.

Then I thought, why do we fear living so much and why do we find living so stressful? Why can't we just wake looking forward to each day?

This is where we come down to our personalities. We're sensitive which mean everything we experience affects us more than others. We're also often "born worriers" so we worry about everything! This worry then creates self-doubt so we then qustion our own thoughts and abilities which then means we find each day an effort because self-doubt then causes us to feel anxious because we feel so uncertain. I think we're also born insecure which also creates this feeling of needing comfort and reassurance to make us feel safe.

All these things then make us feel "trapped" by our own fear of living. We cannot control life or make life safe so living fills us with fear which we cannot escape because living means taking risk.

This is why we need to learn to accept life for what it is. Bad things happen which cause hurt and pain but they're just a part of life. We cannot be "perfect" because we're only human. Perfectionism causes rigidness and tension because we won't allow ourselves mistakes which I feel maybe all connected with this need to feel safe.

However, there is one quality which I feel connects everything - Confidence. How many of you would say you're a confident person and therefore don't fear living? If you fear getting up each day then I would say that you're probably lacking confidence either because of the way you were born or because you've suffered bad experiences which have knocked you back.

Although I feel we need to accept life for what it is, I also firmly believe that if we don't build self-confidence, we will always struggle to cope with living. Confidence is Key. With confidence in our own abilities we will feel we can overcome anything. A sportsman is often accused of being arrogant but if he doesn't believe in himself, he will never win because nerves will rule him. I find that myself. If I'm feeling confident things work but if my confience is lacking then I don't believe in myself so more often than not things don't come off.

Someone who is confident will only need meds if they lost their confidence or if they suffered from depression. Meds ease our symptoms so that we feel more confident in ourselves. They are a substitute for confidence.

So the question is how do we build confidence? This is where I was listening to this darts player the other day. I found his attitude an inspiration! He simply said "Never give up" and "Practise". In other words, to overcome anxiety we need willpower and determination but we also need the knowledge and experience to learn the "right" techniques for our particular fears, and as we overcome each fear our confidence builds, our worries lessen and our anxious feelings ease because we start to believe in ourselves.

I realise that when someone is feeling very ill with anxiety it can feel extremely difficult to pull ourselves out because anxiety destroys our confidence so the future is filled with pessimism but I feel with the right help, even with meds to provide that bit of extra confidence we need, it is possible to wake up looking forward to another day in our lives.

If we give up, we give up on hope and hope will give up on us.

Anyway, just some thoughts.:shrug:

tropical1975
11-01-10, 04:48
thats a great post bill - very true although nt easy

Ronny
11-01-10, 06:26
Yes Bill you are right on most of the above,but I was not like this growing up.I had a wonderful childhood,i was taught how to be confident,positive and feel good about myself.I was or idon't think i was born insecure,as i had wonderful role models through out my life.My insecurities happened after a bad accident,which left me with memory loss i had to relearn how to speak eat,wash and clothe myself,as all those left me after a drunk hit me head on.I also was born with cerebal palsey,so with that on top of everything else did not help.Igot married,had a daughter who is in her 30's but you would think she is only 12.My does she give me grief,she has tried suicide on several occasions,the last was last year,and but for the grace of god she is still hear.She suffers from Bipolar,bought on by drugs,now she is on bl..dy drugs to keep her stable Ha! she goes off them when she feels good then goes on a rampage,that is the manic phase and thats when i go into panic.My Psych,has told me that my panic and anxiety is due to her,I know that but as a parent of only one ,Do you ever stop worrying,i don't believe so.I see aPsych once a week for cognitive therapy but i still wake up on a daily basis feeling flat and anxious.Yes i have days where i say to myself This is agood day to die,BUT i carry on,i do not want to give up because I Will beat and conquer this.I have come a long way to just give in My life is good compared to alot of others out there.I have the support,love and kindness from family,friends and health workers to keep me going.Anyway Bill great posts..........Take care Ronny:)

gypsywomen
11-01-10, 15:03
you are so right mornings the worst

Alabasterlyn
11-01-10, 15:24
Wonderful post Bill, thank you :D

Slothette
11-01-10, 15:50
Hi Bill

I think we also have to talk about nurture too. My parents were both anxious people looking back. I think I learned from an early age that life out there is scarey.

My Mum is no longer with us but when I ponder on it I think she probabaly did suffer from panic attacks but this was never diagnosed. She was a "born worrier" and I think how she was rubbed off on me. Infact it was bound too as I'm a very sensitive person. So I think personality wise and biologically I was born to be this way.

The part of your post that struck me the most was the need to practice. Confidence will only come with the realisation that as an agoraphobic I need to get out there and experience the fact that nothing bad is going to happen. Its a PA not an exocet missile! :D (although when I was at my worse it sure did feel like one!).

Confidence is a funny thing - the more I bottle out of something the harder it is to do next time round which results in a loss of confidence...and so we go round in one of our vicious circles. The only way to break the circle is to practise, practise practise. :hugs:

Veronica H
11-01-10, 19:23
:yesyes: So true. Thanks Bill. :bighug1:

Veronicax

marie1974
11-01-10, 19:42
great post bill, enjoyed reading it. xx

bellabessnjet
11-01-10, 20:06
Hi Bill,
Another great post and sooo true! If I could just believe in myself and accept the way my life is, rather than what I imagined it would be like I think I'd be happier. I would love to be more confident, especially in me and what I do. /troubles been that every time I feel confident I've always been knocked down, the last time was having my son, he was 9 weeks early, I had him by emergency c-section and he was very low birth weight yet I was so happy and proud of myself (maybe it was shock) but when he came home all the nurses started to question how he was doing, I even had one say 'when you got pregnant youd have done anything to protect you baby,by insisting on breastfeeding him you are putting his life in danger!' Its no wonder my confidence plummeted! But I'll keep trying, currently having CBT so im trying to challenge all my negative thoughts! Thanks again for the post.
Angela

PoppyC
11-01-10, 20:50
Hi Bill
Your post makes a lot of sense. I am glad that I read it.
I told my counsellor the other week that I feel scared of life and that it sometimes seems too much and when I feel like that is when my anxiety kicks in. It gets too much sometimes. I can't cope with it all.
I feel like I would have been better off living in a less faster, modern world. I have to live in the countryside because towns and cities stress me out too much.
My medication helps me so much but prior to taking it, the main thing that I hated was the morning anxiety - it was just so horrible. I dont get it anymore thankfully.
Thank You for your post :)

Bill
12-01-10, 01:59
As your replies show, I think anxiety is very complex and can be brought on for a variety of reasons and develop in various forms from various backgrounds which is why I feel every case has to be dealt with on its own merits so that the most effective approach to treating an individual can be determined so I therefore feel its impossible to generalise the best way to learn to cope.

I don't think I've come across anyone with identical backgrounds who have developed the same anxieties so all I hope when I write thoughts is that something in them will help someone somewhere in a small way to understand their own issues. At least that's my hope.

However, I sometimes wonder if I should stick to replying to peoples problems rather than attempt to compact such a complex subject so that any help I can provide is more effective.

Having said that, I'm just a sufferer myself who has learnt to cope through experience but I still have problems of my own. I am thinking now though that I need to stop talking about me and focus on those who are where I used to be because they are the ones who Really need support.

Anyway, I Hope what I post helps somehow. I'm just not so sure sometimes if I Really am of any help to others and whether my weird and wonderful thoughts really do make any difference. Sorry, I'm NOT fishing. I'm just thinking outloud and whether I should be here.:shrug:

hopeless
12-01-10, 09:06
A lot of what you say is totally logical Bill. Wouldn't it be great if confidence could be bottled and bought and would make us immune from the Demons of Anxiety..I was never a confident child and consequently life has been a struggle always trying to appear together on the outside when on the inside its all churning..It all takes its toll eventually and is exhausting..

gypsywomen
12-01-10, 09:11
good post

hopeless
12-01-10, 09:47
As you say Bill no two peoples backgrounds or experiences of anxiety are the same and thats what maybe makes us humans as individuals so complex.I think that the vast majority of us just try to muddle through our lives trying to cope with our fears and whatever life has in store.Counselling,therapy,meds can all help but ultimately its down to us alone to try and adopt some kind of coping mechanism. I think that finding strength and determination is very important as well as confidence. Your Threads are obviously written as someone that has experienced life and your words come from wisdom that only age and experience bring..

crissy
12-01-10, 10:09
hi bill,
just read through your post excellent, to know that there is light beyond this darkness, confidence is the key little by little overcoming our negative side and hopefully one day realising it no longer troubles us, or maybe it will always be with us but it can be ignored or let go of more easily.

you are a good man bill happy to talk to you.

with love crissyxxxxxxxx