PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie with panic attacks!

charlb
11-01-10, 11:55
Hi, my name is Charlotte im a 26 year old mother of 2 wonderful kids and partner to a fantastic man. for the past 14 years iv been suffering with panic attacks, they started when I was at school, I was picked on which resulted in me hating being around people, over the years iv managed as best I could only really having a bad attack if i was in an enclosed space or traffic jam anywhere that made me feel like i couldnt escape, so I just avoided those places. approx 6 wks ago i decided to talk to the doc about this who recommended CBT and a low dose of anti depressents that night I had a very bad reaction to those tablets, pounding heart, loss of vision, numb limbs, complete and utter terror! I stopped the tabs straight away on the docs advice but now Im having the worse panic attacks iv ever had, I fear everything, especially night time in my own home when I keep thinking Im going to have an attack like that bad reaction to the tabs, which then brings on the pounding heart, lump in throat,tingling limbs but because this is a panic attack it does eventually go once iv calmed myself down but the next day just has more panic instore for me, I have friends and family but they dont really understand and some days I feel like im going mad! Doc has suggested other tabs but Im now to scared to try them incase i have another reaction.
until I found this site I thought i was the only one who felt this way but reading all your stories offers me some comfort.
Look forward to hearing off any of you.
Charlotte x

nomorepanic
11-01-10, 11:57
Hi charlb

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

debs180
11-01-10, 12:01
Hi Charlotte,
This site has helped me alot and i hope you find it helps for you 2. Good luck and welcome!

Take care,
Debs xx

charlb
11-01-10, 12:01
Thank u, Im hopeful about the future.
Charlotte

suzy-sue
11-01-10, 12:12
Hi and :welcome:Charlotte . Nice to meet you ..Luv Sue x

matt-24/7
11-01-10, 12:37
:welcome:Hi charlotte,im new on here but am also a long term sufferer of anxiety/panic disorder,im currently not on meds though think it is on the cards.
like yourself i had bad experieces with meds i had tried,but from what i can gather there are different ones that work for different people,whereas some just dont depending on your symptoms/self.
i am fearful of trying others though think hopefully with the right ones i could feel better(heres hoping anyway:)).
iv found talking to others on here a real lift,as we all seem to have suffered this horrible condition in one form or another,its very helpful.
nice to meet you,and welcome to this great site :D matt

BlueWater
11-01-10, 12:54
:welcome:

im much the same as u, i have tried tabs for panic attacks the doctor prescribed me and i had to stop taking them as i havent slept at all for a whole week, been sick several times during the day, couldnt eat and the anxiety got that bad that i was going mad ...

Now im very frightened to try anything else....

I joined this site because i feel like noone understands whats going on with me (most people around me dont know anyway as i keep it more as a secret) and i feel like im the only one in the world with this problem and reading posts from others and succes stories do give me some sort of feeling im not on my own fighting this and it can get better (one day maybe) ....

charlb
11-01-10, 13:00
Thanks for replying to my msg, made me shed a tear (in a good way of course) Iv felt so alone with these thoughts that iv forgot how many other people out there go through it. I wish sometimes that I had a illness that could be detected with a blood test, scan, ect unfortunately this illness is in my head and its up to me to get better, hopefully talking on here is a step in the right direction. Here's to a better future. Charlotte x

twhitetina
11-01-10, 15:43
Hi charlotte,

This same thing happened to me the other night. I started taking zoloft the first day that happened but I think I was so scared of what it might do to me that I
actually made myself have a full blown attack. I continued to take them and now am on day five and am feeling a little better already. How do you know that you didn't do the same thing as me? And when you start a anti depressant they seem to make your attacks a little worse till it gets level in your system. I don't know whats worse having a little bit of anxiety at the begining of a med or having it all the time anyway. The way i see is what do you have to loose you already feel terrible and once the meds kick in they are very helpful. It' just getting over that hump it's scary but rewarding. theres lots of us here that can talk you during that hump stage(lol).
Best wishes Tina

notsobubblychick
11-01-10, 16:18
Hi Charlotte

I'd go back to your GP and let him try something different for you.

I'm normally anti tablet. However, due to multiple panic attacks lasting 3 days/nights one weekend in November I've been put in Cipralex and have noticed a difference. There is a side effect of nausea that GP mentioned to me. But that was minor and only in the beginning. It takes a few months to get into system though.

I'm not saying that they have stopped the panic attacks (think they stopped on their own afting having their bout out) but they have helped me to feel much more relaxed.

There are lots of things on the market for anxiety related issues and what suits one may not suit another.

Let me know how you get on.

Maria

rozzy057
12-01-10, 16:55
i completely understand where you are coming from, at time i am scared of everything, at 1 point i wouldnt even go round my familys houses...and constantly think i am going to be put in a looney bin! my family are supporitve, but i often think that i annoy them, and they think i am exagerating. As they cant understand how i seem to panic over nothing, and all of a sudden refuse to do certain things :(

charlb
13-01-10, 15:59
Hi there rozzy, I must admit being on here has tought me that i dont belong in the loony bin cuz at times i wasnt so sure! Its also made me talk about my problems more & its amazing if u tell people how u feel the amount of people that have said thier on tab's & have paid A&E a visited with the thought they were having heart attack/stoke but have been told it was anxiety/panic. It must be so common but nobody wants to talk about it.

Take care
Charlotte xx

Veronica H
15-01-10, 22:55
:welcome:Charlotte.Glad that you have found us.There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes;SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES ISBN 0-7225-3155-9.This is available from the NMP shop. Dr Weekes was a physician and scientist. She was a fellow sufferer (nominated for the nobel prize for medicine) and really understood this illness. She took the mystery out of it, and devised a simple programme for recovery. I can't recommend this enough. This will get better.

Here is a link to her site;

http://www.drclaireweekes.co.uk/

Veronicax