PDA

View Full Version : Propranolol

Jellie
11-01-10, 13:27
My doctors just perscribed me Propranolol and i have never really taken these kind of drugs before.Actually the thought of taking it is giving me panic attacks.. I think i'd rather take st johns wort which also makes me freak out!
Does anyone find them useful? I'm not sure whether i could deal with slowing down.. i have trouble breathing enough as it is with my anxiety and worrying that i'm not going to breathe or my hearts going weird or i'm going to be sick or die..Arg..

xx

valleybear
11-01-10, 13:37
Hi Jelli
I have been on Propranolol for years and have not experienced any side effects. St Johns Wort was not good at all for me and I had to give it up.
I think the feeling of difficulty breathing and nausea are anxiety...at least I have experienced both due to it....The propranolol will ease these symptoms I am sure. Give it a try, you do not need to continue if you feel that it is not helping,as the Dr would surely prescribe something else if it did not suit. Hope you get some relief soon. XX

pollyanna
11-01-10, 13:49
hi jellie

i too take propranolol and have done for quite a while now, and i too was terrified at first, even the first couple of times that i took it i gave myself a panic attack, but once i settled myself, they have been a great , they take the edge off my anxiety and make me feel a lot calmer than i did without them, they regulate your heart rate, i have never noticed it going too slow, and you wont stop breathing, i promise.

Give it a go, the first time you take it, try and be as relaxed as you can, a quiet household etc.

Let us know how it goes

P x

gypsywomen
11-01-10, 13:53
i have taken it for 3 years its good at calming you down no side effects perhaps bit tierd thats all, so i would take if i was you

BlueWater
11-01-10, 14:00
when i took them i was frightened of getting more panic attacks but surprisingly i had none and also i had no side effects at all (and i usually have side effects regardless of what i take lol) ... so u dont have to be scared taking them, they might help u calming down the symptoms :)

I stopped taking them as i still had bad panic attacks and felt they dont work for me but it was worth trying out at least ...

medals
13-01-10, 13:37
Jellie. I put off taking them for nearly a year. Mistake. The doc reassured me and they do help me keep calm.
In fact, 20mg, when I need it, has a very nice effect. Sort of like, I know I should be stressing out over something but I just can't ber bothered!
All it does is block the action of adrenaline, the hormone which is responsible for the 'fight or fight' state of mind, or in our case, panic attacks. So please don't be frightened of taking it.

Willowlrp
28-03-10, 14:53
i went to my docs before xmas as my panic atacks had increased quite badly and he prescribed me 10mg of propranalol to be taken 3 times a day as and when needed.

Unfortunalty for me the stress got worse and my panic attacks got worse and so did my mood swings, so he upped the dosage to 40mg to be taken three times a day.

I have been on these for a week now and i am a lot happier and my relationship is aswell as we are not shouting at each other and cos im happy my family is happy.

Everyone is different, some days i can deal without the ones the doc gave me but some days i cant.

Try them and if you still dont feel right then see your docter to see if he can send you to a therapist, ive never actually been to one but ive heard they help.