PDA

View Full Version : to scared to work,cant get benefits either

littlen
11-01-10, 17:39
i suffer with panic attacks and have so for the past 3 years,i get so anxious about anything new and the thought of starting work again terrifys me.
i had to leave my last part time job in a shop 3 years ago as thats when they started and i have lost all confidence since.
medication wise i cant take anything because im such a lightweight even 1mg of propanolol makes me sleepy,i tried citaprolam 2 years ago but i was so ill with side effects after 3 days i quit...so meds are not for me and i try and cope with this illness without...not fun.

i have applied for incapacity benefit twice and been refused both times,how can they not understand my problems?? they ask such stupid questions like can you dress yourself and can you cook a meal,so obviously i say yes to most of there questions and i get rejected for my claim.

is there no hope for me regarding this benefit now? if you have applied 3 times what did you change in your answers.

im finding it hard to survive on the tax credit i share with partner-he works but luckily incapacity isnt means tested,but i have credit card debts and finding it hard to pay off.

add that to my worry over my illness and im at my wits end-i cry all the time and wonder how i will get out of this mess.

thank you for reading

karen

gypsywomen
11-01-10, 17:45
its not fare on you keep trying you should get help

lisa12
11-01-10, 17:48
hi i to had to leave work due to my anxiety ,But i dont understand why you cant get incapacity as i get this benfit due to anxiety also get tax credits and my partner works .do u get sick notes of doctor?as these need to be sent in when u claim incapacity also the parts were it tells you to write anythin in to help with the claim write there to explain why u cant work tell them all tho u are physicaly ill at the moment u have a mental illness and tell them how this affects you .Also if u need help to fill in the forms go to the citizens advice they will help u fill everything in and make sure nothing is missed out ....as u should deffenetley b entitled ...hope this helps

lisa12
11-01-10, 17:49
sorry were it says physicaly ill ment to say well x

pink17
11-01-10, 17:55
Its so anoying that you cant get any benifits when u r not well!especially when theirs some people claiming when they are ok!!

Maj
11-01-10, 18:40
Hi Karen, the first thing I would do is contact your bank and arrange to sort something out with your credit cards. As far as I know you can sort something out that suits your circumstances at the moment. You're always hearing that they are there to help and advise you if you are struggling. Worrying about money all the time won't be helping you. Worries like this can really bring you down. When your present debts are sorted out you can devote yourself to making another claim for benefits. You can then start thinking about getting yourself better. From the medication point of view I'd speak to the doctor again, because you sound really low. You are not a lightweight, I took a few fluoxetine tabs a few months ago and it was the worst experience with meds I've ever had. But there might just be something mild the doctor can give you to help you through this. Once you feel stronger you can contemplate things like work again, it'll all seem too daunting with how you're feeling at the moment. Your confidence will come back gradually, but it'll take time. You'll get there though.
Myra:hugs:

SueBee
11-01-10, 18:58
Hi Karen,

Just to add to the very good advice Myra has already given you: I would ask the advice of CAB, they are experts on what type of benefit you are entitled to and will even fill the forms in for you.

I know of many people who have has successful claims for incapacity with help from CAB after they have had applications turned down previously. Apparently, its all down to the wording you use and we always underestimate how bad we feel.

As for the meds.... you sound very low and in need of some additional help. Meds are awful when you first start and you have to persevere through the side effects. They can last anything from a few days to 6 weeks.... might be worth it in the long run and the doctor can always prescribe you something like diazepam in the short term to take the edge off how you feel initially.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Sue :)

littlen
12-01-10, 01:22
thank you for all your replys,i am low at the moment,its everyday i wake up and the first thing i think of is lack of money and my debt. i will get on to the citizens advice as i must be doing something wrong! i see all these people in the waiting room at my medical interview and half of them hobble in on walking sticks and no doubt jog home after-makes me so mad, like pink said you know they are well to work.
i had a woman from mind go through dla form with me but i wasnt entitled to that either-i put in claim-it was thrown out..same old story.

medication and me have never got on,i had to take eye drops a few years back as i have glycoma and i was always sick on them.i will ask the gp for something but i think propanolol is the weakest med you could be given for anxiety,i try not to take anything apart from kalms,which sometimes help.
i have been going to mind last year for some group sessions,i have to take my sister as cannot bear the thought of it alone,sometimes i enjoy it as i know we are all in the same boat. also i have a lady from rethink come and meet me and we go out for 2 hours or so -i now am getting worried about seeing her-i know i will be ok when she comes but i hate the waiting for an event to come-how can i work when i cant even relax round my rethink helper...doesnt bear thinking about ,maybe im not ready yet for work,but the money issue wont go away will it.

thanks again....i will book an appointment with cab and drag someone along with me
btw will my gp have all the notes that i have attended mind sessions,and have a rethink coordinator-this would go a big way to helping my incapacity claim.

karen

severina
12-01-10, 01:41
have you enquired about DLA ? it non means tested, and takes things like "needs varying supervision due to mental health concerns" into account. i get it as i need supervision to help my anxieties and othe mental health problems.

:hugs:

littlen
12-01-10, 01:56
hi,
yes i mentioned in above post i had applied but failed-i think we were typing at the same time!

p.s is incapacity national insurance contribution based as i have paid very little-i am on national insurance credits whatever that is-