PDA

View Full Version : My story - Fear of dying

frankiesmum
12-01-10, 08:38
Can I firstly start by saying that I don't expect many people to read my story - its too long. I apologise in advance! I just really needed a reason to write it down and tell people.

Where do I start? I have suffered with this problem for what seems like all my life but in fact it isn't because there surely was a time when I was to innocent to have thought so deeply about things. I too have a fear of death that has impacted hugely on my ability to live life.

My first memory of feeling this way was when I was 11, my great grandmother died around that time (so I am sure that must have been what triggered it) and I suddenly had the realisation that one day everybody would die. It terrified me. The thought of my parents dying especially my mother gave me the feeling of fear beyond that I have ever experience from anything else in my life and then the thought of myself dying was equally as bad. The fear of their being nothing. Of me being alone. It felt like a nightmare that would not go away which consumed my every thought for maybe weeks or months, I can't remember how long it was. I felt like I needed proof from someone that there was life after death and then this would take the fear away but nobody could give me proof only beliefs and that wasn't reassuring enough. The fear was so intense I can only describe it as almost paralysing. I remember at that time telling my dad that I was very frightened of dying. He answered "you are only young you don't need to think about that now". But then I worked out that even if I lived to my great grandmothers age (she lived 'til she was 100) then I was already through a tenth of my life already. This developed an obsession in my mind with pieces of time, if anyone would mention anything to do with time (they obviously did constantly) I would hear it in a different way now - in a terrified way. If somebody said "next year", "next week", "tomorrow" all concepts of time appeared to be a power which I couldn't control and were ultimately forcing me towards the death of those I loved and myself. I became frightened of time and not just death. Time would have been OK if it didn't lead me to death but it was going to. Even if I was going to live for a very long time I was definitely going to die. I felt like the only thing that would make me feel better was if somebody could tell me that life after death definitely existed or that time would stand still. Nothing else could possibly make me feel safe. Nothing human could make me feel safe because that would eventually change.

These episodes of constant terror have repeated themselves many many times in my life, particularly since my early 20s (I am now 33) and I have been so determined and desperate to get rid of this feeling that I have tried what seems like everything. I am not always like it, it seems to come and go. Not on a day to day basis but over a period my thought process is one which is obsesses with death and time (its exactly the same thought process as when I was 11) but then sometimes I can go for periods where I feel fine 100% of the time, I feel I am lucky that I have these periods. In these good periods which can last for about a year I can talk about life and time and death and although I can feel sad about some mentioning of death (as anyone would) I don't feel the terror that I feel when I am in my depressed state of mind. Normally my depressive periods are triggered by news of the death of someone or something linked to death (eg terminal illness).

When I was 20 I was in such a bad way with these thoughts after a friend of mine killed himself and it triggered me to be in a complete state. My sister took me to the doctors after I told her that I couldn't stop thinking about death and I was diagnosed with depression. It effected the results of the degree I was studying at the time, I lost a lot of weight and it almost cost me my relationship with my boyfriend. Thankfully it didn't though, my boyfriend stuck by me and is now my husband but this condition has caused us many problems throughout our relationship. I have tried to talk to my husband about it many times but he has seen how I become a different person during these periods and how he couldn't help me he is now terrified himself about me being depressed. So now I have learnt that the best way for me to deal with it is to not tell him when I am going through it and I have become very skilled at feeling terrified within but acting very normal to the outside world. Amazingly it is possible to convince even those closest to you that you are ok and be suffering such torment inside your own mind.

The first time I had the depressive episode in my adult life (when I was 20) I didn't take anti depressents but the second time and subseqently I always did. I found they helped but they definately did not stop it from returning. I have now been taking citalopram for about 5 years almost continuously.

Although the anti depressants helped, they didn't make the problem go away completely, just numb the fear a bit so I still wanted to try to go further than this. I wanted to learn to be at peace with the fact that people die! OK I know its never going to be something you feel happy about but most other people seem to be able to get on with their lives without feeling utterly terrified of the prospect. I read somebody on this forum saying something that rang so true to me. They said that they would walk around looking at people and thinking "arn't you terrified? We are all going to die!" During my depressed periods I would think exactly the same as this - how can people possibly act normal when they know what I know?!!!!

I tried to tell a few people about this because I was so desperate but everybody told me "don't think about it" which was impossible and from this point onwards my depression became a secret problem that I knew nobody was going to help me with apart from maybe professionals. The only person who I ever talk about it with now is my sister. She understands it very well as she suffers from it herself but her fears are different.

I received several different types of counselling, all of which were useless at helping me with this problem although they were sometimes helpful with increasing my self confidence and learning more about myself. I was paying for counselling privately most of the time and I have folked out a fortune over the past 12 years.

When I got married in 2001 I went through a bad period just before this. I can't remember what had triggered this particular episode, there have been so many but for sure it would have been finding out that someone I knew had died. I remember thinking that when I was going to take my vows I was going to have to say "til death do us part" and I had a real problem with this. If I was going to say "til death do us part" then that in death we did part. That made me feel so terrified and I hated it that it had to be that way.

In 2003 my grandfather died and the terror struck again. All of my family were going to visit him in the funeral parlor and asked me if I would like to go. I was horrified but decided that maybe I should go because when somebody has a fear they are always told to expose themselves to it. So I did, I visited my grandfathers body and the sight was not horrific at all. But it didn't help. I obsessed over the issue and was very depressed for several months. This time I took anti depressents again.

In 2006 my grandmother died and this time I was at her bedside when she actually died. Once again the sight was not horrific but I couldn't cope with the terror that struck me, I sunk into another deep depression. Everyone who was at my grandmothers bedside was grief struck and completely devasted but I don't think they were terrified like I was - that was my main emotion because it was so strong I was almost unable to feel the others.

This time my doctor suggested I saw a psychotherapist and received cognative behaviour therapy which again I paid for privately. It was expensive costing £60 per hour but I did feel like for the first time I started to learn more about my problems. I learnt that the problems had obviously started when I was a child and they were a childhood fear. When I am "out" of the depression I am a confident and happy woman who is independent, loves her family but doesn't live in fear everyday. When something triggers the episodes of depression then I sink back to my subconcious mind (from when I was a child) and I can't cope because as a child I couldn't cope.

This made perfect sense to me after many many sessions of this treatment I learnt much more about it and accepted it to be true. This perfectly explained two things a) when I am in this depressive state I feel like a frightened and terrified little girl and feel like I need my mum to tell me its gonna be ok and its just a bad dream - I am not gonna die eventually and neither is anybody else! and b) I feel like I cannot get my head around death. Its not just a fear but its a lack of ability to understand the concept of life and death and time. I feel like nothing makes sense anymore - everyone is walking around acting like things which are perfectly normal are fine but I can't get my head around it - it made sense that this was a child-like understanding.

I really thought after around 18 months of this therapy that I must be cured! I learnt so so much about my depression and went through a long period of wellness.

Then in 2007 when I was pregnant with our first child it struck again. At this time I was having a break from the citalopram due to being pregnant and I fell into a deep state as bad as any I had been in in the past. It was awful because, as with all my previous episodes, I lost my appeitie and was loosing weight, feeling faint due to not eating. I was absolutely devastaed too that after all the progress, I thought I had made with the Cognative behaviousal therapy I could go back to feeling like this. My concious mind took over to try to get help (as it usually does and I think I had definately learnt to recongnise it much more) and I contacted a psychiatrist (recommended by my phycologyst) who told me I should go back on the citalopram even during pregnancy and it would be ok.

The depression lifted after about 6 weeks and I was back to normal life, looking forward to becoming a mum.

Then disaster struck me. In June 2007 our baby died on the day she was born due to complications during the birth. It was a tragedy which hit me and my husband like a ton of bricks. We were devasted. However slowly slowly we began to accept the reality of the situation and deal with the grief and rebuild our lives which were left with a huge void in them.

During this time I was very low but I was definately not in my child-like depressed state! Amazing! I had had an utter tragedy hit my life which I was dealing with, with my adult mind. I was crying every day and feeling so so sad but I was not terrified! Why? It almost felt like I had confronted my ultimate fear - could there be anything worse than a baby dying on the day she was born? It almost felt like it helped me rationalise things. Here I was being frightened about how I will get older, with time and loose people I loved and also die but surely that is better than what I had seen with my poor daughter's fate? Poor darling had never been home from hospital and met her family.

As time went on I gradually learned to cope with the loss of my daughter, became pregnant 6 months later and now I have a gorgeous son who is 18 months old. He is just adorable, I can't even begin to describe the love that I have for him. We never ever forget our daughter and this is how we have dealt with the loss. It might sound mad but we mention her everyday. Me and my husband think of her as part of our family in everything we do. Of course we know she is not with us in the physical sense but we talk about her as an angel. She certainly lives on in our hearts. We also talk about her to our son (he is too young to understand at the moment) and tell him he has a big sister in heaven.

I struggle with the heaven thing and also the afterlife thing, because I am a very logical person and I find it very hard to believe in something that I don't have proof it exists. However my husband does believe. He guided me in my grief of our daughter - well to be fair we guided each other because I think that I was so strong and brave and very often I was his rock - but he guided me on how to believe in her existance. I go along with the believing she is still part of our family because like I say - she still defaintely exists in our hearts and minds but I struggle to believe that she exists somewhere in another dimension - and wish that I knew for sure that she did. How ever my husand is happy with his belief that she does. My husband is an extremely intelligent man with a job which is highly mathmatical, scientific and logical - so my theory of why I find it hard to believe in afterlife (because I have a very logical mind) is not the same for him.

After the loss of our daughter I received some psycotherapy. This time it was dealing with a specific issue but she identified very quickly that I had a huge fear of being alone. We moved on from the grief counselling eventually (when I was over the worst of the grief) and started to home in on my problems. She was a very good phycotherapyst and she came to the conclusion that my condition was one of a phobia of death. In all the time I had received counselling, phychotherapy etc nobody had ever called my condition a Phobia and I think she hit the nail on the head! I think my phobia then leads to depression and obbsessive behaviour but the start of it all is the phobia.

So great, I have a label for it now but is it going to make me get over the phobia? Well that her answer was possibly no. Not the answer I wanted to hear. She and the previous psycotherapyst said that it was important to recognise my symptoms as part of my fear and this helps me to deal with it.

So where am I now. Well I am not great at the moment, I have been going through several months of obsessing but I am much more able to deal with it than I have been previously. I am able to think - I am like this because I have a phobia and this is the child inside me who is thinking like this - not me! It doesn't make me feel 100% but I certainly can function ok. I also can push myself to get out of the house and try to fight the depression I can look after my little boy ok and although my mind wanders so much that it makes me very clumsy it is much easier to hide my dark thoughts from others. Unfortunately though, inwardly I can't just be happy with my beautiful life though because of my fears which is such a shame because when I am feeling well I feel so happy with what I have.

I want to end this by desribing myself a little bit more because now I have written this all down and read it back to myself I think that I sound like a complete nutcase. I want to tell you that although this problem takes over my life to a large extent - it is a secret problem. I have many friends who think I am a happy, optimistic , bubbly person who loves life and her family. I am very independent, now living in a different country to my mum and dad and my 2 sisters. Before my husbands job took us abroad I had a very good career. I did go through episodes where I found it very hard to carry out my job when my depression was bad but my employer never found out about it and I was able to keep it hidden. I never missed a days work due to my depression which was extremely hard on some days.

I often have people saying to me that they like me because I am such a positive person and I think to myself "if only you knew" but I cannot bring myself to confess to my fears, I don't know why but it is impossible for me to be openly so negative, dark and grusome! Sometimes I wonder if I am outwardly so positive to mask how I am really feeling inside. I am also so scared of hearing other people say that they fear death.

I never used forums before, until our daughter died and then I used them, and found them so helpful, to talk with other mums who had lost babies. It helped me immensely. I suddenly thought the other day about my last phycologst describing my condition as a phobia of death and thought I wonder if there are any websites for people with Phobias - after all the years of having this and all the money spent on therapy you would really think I would have done this before but I never had! Well I found the forum and the thread "Fear of death" was at the top of the list!! I thought my problem was one which was very rare - my therapyst never told me that it was a common problem. I started to read the threads and I couldn't believe it with many of you describing my fears exactly. It felt like an amazing relief - all this time and I have never discussed with anyone, other than a therapyst, how I feel.

I am so sorry that my post is so long. I realise that many of you will not have read it and I don't blame you. My purpose of writing it was for those who maybe did want to read parts of it and also I did it because it is the first time ever I have written down how I feel. My therapysts have suggested that I did this before but I couldn't bring myself to because I was too frightened to read back what I had written. When I saw that other people were the same as me I wanted to write everything down.

Right you will be pleased to know I have finished now!

gypsywomen
12-01-10, 08:55
it is so sad you lost your little girl ,but happy you have a son ,, what ou have written affects everyone but its something no one dicuss, your very brave it was very interesting perhaps now you can look ahead more positive xx

ZoJo
12-01-10, 09:13
Thank you for sharing your story, you are so brave and it has really moved me. I wish you all the luck in the world and with your determination I am positive you will succeed. xx :hugs:

Mrsssh
12-01-10, 20:01
Frankiesmum,

your not alone my love, I have suffered like this for years. Hypnotherpay helped me enormously, but I think you just have to learn about yourself and learn to live with it, Well done for coming through so much :-)

Blessed be,
Becky. XXX

Maj
12-01-10, 20:28
I enjoyed reading your post. I think we have all at one time in our lives been afraid of death and beyond. I'm so sorry about your wee daughter, you can never forget her. You are a credit to yourself in that, although your life must have been so difficult, almost overwhelming, you have still carried on. This takes a huge amount of strength, but I agree because you have tried to be as "normal" as possible. The first thing I thought of when reading your post that you have suffered from obsessive compulsive disorder most of your life, and this can indeed be crippling and tormenting. I myself have had a taste of this. I personally think that depression has a lot to do with this disorder. You have come through it time and time again though and this will be such a source of encouragement to others in their despair. You also mentioned you take a particular antidepressant, but have you ever tried others? When I was at my worst I took a particular antidepressant and it was like a miracle for me. You so deserve to recover. You have put so much into it. Thank you for sharing your story. It will be an inspiration to others and make many aware that you can still live a normal life.
Myra:hugs:

megan143
12-01-10, 20:43
frankiesmum

You are not alone with your fears, I have exactly the same thing a fear of death which in turn give me health anxiety, I was at the stage I was almost obsessed with it, looking at the papers reading about people that had died and wondered why they had died. wondering what happens after death and what it is like to die, sounds weird when you write it down.

Mine was triggered as a close family friend died suddenly right in front of me year back, at the time I coped well but then it was afterwards I started to worry about it all the time. I also have three children and I worry about something happening to them or my husband as well, and as Mum I can only imagine the grief you must have felt loosing your baby.

I am currently on AD which is helping a bit but more with the anxiety and panick attacks and have statred seeing a CBT therapist, I am determined to beat this as to be honest it is stopping me living my life.

Love Megan x

Ella_Jayne
12-01-10, 22:23
Wow. Thanks for sharing your story, I read every little bit of it and can identify with a lot of it. Like you, I have a phobia of death and since I was litte I always questioned life and what happens after and how it just didn't make sense. And also like you, it started after one of my grandparents died.

I'm very sorry to hear about your little girl dying, My sister lost her little boy the day he was born and I could see how much it affected both her and her husband. It's hard to deal with, but you sound like a very strong person. I don't think I could have coped if it was me.

I realised I had a fear of death, a 'phobia' on my own. I knew the thoughts that I had about life were not just normal pondering, it went a lot deeper than that, and affected me greatly. But like yourself, I've been for CBT but they have never suggested this.

Reading your story has really helped, in more ways than I can explain. Thanks again for sharing.

Oneday_Emma
13-01-10, 14:50
Sorry about ur loss, and congratulations on many other points.

I too have a problem with Death, when its mentioned I feel all weird, shakey, spaced out, scared. Ive not had a death in the family, but i know its only going to be a matter of time. Ive 2 elderly grand-parents and they are my world. I respect and love them more than anyone, and i cant imagine life without them.
I dont have friends because i dont allow to let myself get close to anyone, incase i lost them. Dont get me wrong im a friendly person, and much like urself not many people know about my state of mind, and think im positive and happy. If only they knew!
Im thinkin of trying CBT.

All the best for your future, and thanks for sharing ur story it'l help many people
x

meg86
13-01-10, 15:23
Thank you for sharing your story :) i know how you feel in many ways, like you i am percieved to be a very positive person, bubbly, always smiling hiding the terrifying torment underneath. Fear of death is very common, i was never afraid of death i always believed in the afterlife, then my father died and i never dreamt of him or could feel him around me, a few years later i developed anxiety because of lots of other bad things, the way my mind worked didnt make sense and i started to question everything and i no longer believed in god, angels the afterlife and became a very logical person like yourself.

I became increasingly obsessed with Health which im still dealing with, terrified of the end of the world and death in general, its strange because in my teens death fascinated me not scare me like it does now. Someone once wrote on here that dying is just like falling asleep, you are not conscious of doing it, a chemical is released into the brain called DMT which is supposed to be a amazing experience ( alot of tribes use this drug but our brains produce it naturally at death) and anything after we are not aware of.

I wont allow my life to be overruled by death, even though its terrifying at times and we cant get a grip on our thoughts, i try to push it far far back because the truth is it doesnt matter! what matters is that we are alive now and i am going to make it one hell of a ride :D

Take Care and i wish you luck xxxx

Typer
14-01-10, 14:42
Thank you for sharing your story. You have worked out so much with the help of therapy. I think having therapy, even when it stops, teaches you to learn to understand yourself and from what I have read, you do make use of this.

I am so sorry for your losses, in particular the loss of your baby. I lost a baby when he was 5 months old and just 10 days after my mother, aged 48 died. After In watched my father die of cancer, I had such a dreaded fear of death that I felt disabled by it.

We all fear death and many anxiety attacks are based in this fear (even if we are not thinking about it) - it is after all the worst thing that can happen. Anxiety is fight or flight and that means survival kicks in so in a way anxiety is survival kicking in. Trouble is this reaction can get out of sinc. We all seem to feel a need to justify our anxiety to ourselves.

Take heart, there is hope and you may find one day you will not feel so fearful of death. Well not so consciously anyway.

Do read Claire Weeks...see if her exercises help to rid you of this and remember, old habits die hard and since you were 11, this is how your mind has dealt with things. Habits though, can change

starlight78
22-01-10, 20:01
Hi Frankiesmum,
Thank you for that lovely post.. I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your little girl.

About 6 years ago now when I was 26 I was struck with the most intense fear of dying. It was strange, as if it had never occured to me that I would die before and now suddenly I had this knowledge and felt that life would never be the same again.... I wasn't scared about the process of dying, more the strange thought of suddenly ceasing to be! I was absolutely crippled witjh panic and fear.. Everything felt pointless to me, because one day i would be dead.. I couldn't understand how everyone else was carrying on with their lives knowing this...

I was very lucky that i had close family that recognised these thoughts of death as a symptom of depression and i got treatment early, but it took some time for the fear to lift completely and it really has lifted totally for me now..

I dont think thats the case for most people i think they pick up enough to live their life, keep busy and therefore they just dont think about it as much until something triggers another episode, but for me I trully have no fear about it at all now and thats because I have deliberately made an effort not to avoid reading about it and talking about it...
I figured that anxiety is fuelled by avoidance and therefore i wouldn't avoid it anymore! There really is no phobia that you cant beat if you accept it and face it.

Can i recommend a book by Susan jeffers called "embracing uncertainty". It has the most beautiful chapter about the ultimate uncertainty of death... many years ago i would deliberately have avoided reading it, but i strongly urge you to read it because it helped me soooooo much! Its only a small part of the book, but a great bit.
I would also recommend reading some literature about near death experiences... peoples accounts of these are so incredible and beautiful that I think it would be a comfort to you.

I dont have any religious faith at all and wouldn't consider myself spiritual at all.. I have no idea if there is an after life... If there is I think that would be lovely, and if there isn't then i'll know nothing about it and just have a lovely long sleep... both sound ok to me!

I wish you so much happiness, if you ever want to message me then please do.
Starlight x

frankiesmum
22-01-10, 21:40
Hello to all that replied to my post thank you so much. It really helped me so much to write it all down and since doing so I have also been talking a lot on this forum which is fab it feels like I have finally opened up a huge door to start pouring it all out.

Starlight - I want to thank you in particular for replying to my post a while after I wrote it and also for taking the time to advise me even though you have come through this period yourself. Thank you for visiting the site and offering advice even though you sound like you are well in yourself! Your story gives me hope! Thank you. I will definately look into the book you recommended. I actually have tried to PM you but the site says you won't accept PMs - anyway all I wanted to say was THANK YOU!

Thank you everyone!

xx

starlight78
22-01-10, 22:18
Hi Frankiesmum... I'm sorry about that, I dont know why I can get PM's.. I've added you to my contact list now so hopefully that'll sort it.. I'm not very technically minded.. sorry! lol xx