PDA

View Full Version : Sore throat, pain in chest when coughing... stressed & worried :(

mom1982
12-01-10, 22:45
I had a bad sore throat last week & put on antibiotics. It cleared after 2 days but now after a week, it's back. and it's so dry & painful. When i cough it hurts my upper chest area in the middle at the base of the throat. I don't have a high fever, no rash, no sensitivity to light, but my neck and upper back had been sore for one week, mainly in the right side.

I have health anx & i don't know if this is something I should worry about or is it something normal & does not need immediate medical attention?

I could only make an appt to see my doctor in 27 hours.

I'm worried & scared, could someone pls comment.

Downsinthenorth
13-01-10, 11:44
Hi mom1982

Hope this doesn't sound like a silly suggestion, but are you drinking enough water on its own (not just with tea and coffee). My husband coughs constantly even after he has recovered from a cold, sore throat or chest infection. We have found that this annoying dry cough is soothed by drinking lots of water.

Hope this helps. :)

mom1982
13-01-10, 12:22
i actually drink very very little water. thanks. i'll try more.

the only symptoms bothering me is the very painful sore throat & headaches. I have a mild fever now & then but that doesn't seem to be of any discomfort. The sore throat is so bad that i can't swallow & i feel like throwing up everytime i cough. Been forcing myself not to.

Swine flu, pneumonia, bronchitis etc scare me.

gypsywomen
13-01-10, 12:29
did you finish your meds

mom1982
13-01-10, 12:39
I took half a dose the last 2 days. I took the proper full dose again today & have one more day of antibiotics to take. It's not penicillin which is the best one, i'm allergic to that, so i've been given roxymicin (cant spell it).

I know it sounds insane that i'm going crazy with symptoms that is probably just the flu or some treatable infection like strep but i cannot rationalize & i cannot control my fears and i'm panicking and have been in tears most of the day thinking the worst.