PDA

View Full Version : Spam PM's again

nomorepanic
13-01-10, 17:46
Please do not open a PM from a member called serkkan870

It is spam! :mad:

Do not click on the link in the PM they sent and just delete it immediately.

Thanks

bottleblond
13-01-10, 17:47
Ah Nic i just banned him! I thought that's what he was up to!
Cheers mate!!
xx

nomorepanic
13-01-10, 17:50
Alex isn't here to mass delete the PM's and I can't do it so I hope people read this before opening their PM.

nomorepanic
13-01-10, 18:55
I have put some changes in place to try and limit this.

Members can only PM 2 members at any one time and need to wait 1 minute between PM's.

This should help us with these spammers that have loads of time on their hands it seems!

bottleblond
13-01-10, 19:17
Thanks Nic, that will be a great help! :yesyes:

KK77
13-01-10, 23:58
When you say spam are you referring to viruses too or just ads and other content?

nomorepanic
14-01-10, 00:01
I mean members are signing up to pm members with links that will destroy their pc

KK77
14-01-10, 00:14
I think it's wise for everyone to invest in a decent Antivirus program/link scanner if they can. It's a shame that people are sad and low enough to target sites like these and others with such s***. Makes me very angry. Perhaps you could stop new members sending PMs until they've posted 5-10 times.

eeyorelover
14-01-10, 04:03
I got one from this one too!
Was smart enough not to click on this one tho ;)
LOL

suzy-sue
14-01-10, 10:27
I recieved a warning email this morning from a friend ..Someone is sending out cute downloads of the Budweiser frog ...Do not download ...It is a nasty virus and someone will gain access to your password and details ..This was made public yesterday by Miicrosoft ...I forwarded the email to every one i know ,but thought it would be important to also post on here ..If you do recieve this just delete it ..Sue

bottleblond
14-01-10, 12:33
I think it's wise for everyone to invest in a decent Antivirus program/link scanner if they can. It's a shame that people are sad and low enough to target sites like these and others with such s***. Makes me very angry. Perhaps you could stop new members sending PMs until they've posted 5-10 times.

I think if we did that then they would probably post it on the forum instead where many more members would be able to access it at a much quicker pace.

It's swings and roundabouts with these people, if there is a way then they will find it.

You are right, they are sad and low :mad:

Lisa
x

nomorepanic
14-01-10, 13:07
I needed new members to be able to use the PM system straight away in case they needed to contact me with any queries etc.

We used to moderate every member's first post but this proved too much extra work for the admins and of course this wouldn't stop them sending the PM's anyway.

As we find these spammers we are blocking their IP addresses so they can't come back lol.

SueBee
14-01-10, 13:43
Has the 'users online' option been removed to stop the spam? I can't seem to find it or I'm going loopy!

KK77
14-01-10, 14:03
It's swings and roundabouts with these people, if there is a way then they will find it.

I agree, you can never make it perfect, only better. They're like rats constantly finding new holes to get into the house....

We used to moderate every member's first post but this proved too much extra work for the admins and of course this wouldn't stop them sending the PM's anyway.

I thought you still did. When I joined in Aug 09 I remember my first post was moderated and some of my posts were automatically edited if I used certain words. Not sure if I was able to post links back then.

It's not criticism though. I know how hard it must be and you all do a fantastic job.

nomorepanic
14-01-10, 14:18
Sue - it is under "Quick Links" at the top - the menu option.

Mel - yes we have turned it off for now as it was a lot of work for some of the admins to do. I am at work in the day and so is Di so it was left for Bev and Lisa to do the majority (as Sandy and Laura are in the US) which meant being on the NMP forum nearly all the time. We turned it off and we do seem to catch the spammers quite quickly and some very helpful members report any posts we miss so we can pick up on them straight away.

We were concious that members signing up want instant access and not to wait hours for their post to be approved so it was swings and roundabouts really.

Any forum will get spammed that is life I guess - we just have to keep on top of it and ban them and hope they get bored! Some of it is done by "robots" so it is not an actual person signing up etc and they are getting very clever about getting round the registration process etc.

Alex tries to keep up-to-date with any enhancements that VBulletin introduce to the forum to help with spammers.

NoPoet
14-01-10, 19:20
Maybe disable active hyperlinks, so people have to cut and paste the link into their browsers? It won't be fool-proof but it is definitely accident-proof!

nomorepanic
14-01-10, 19:58
Hmm I can't find an option for that yet Adam

Ronny
15-01-10, 09:32
there are a lot of arseols out there in cyber space.I would love to meet 1 of them,i might be unable to walk,but i can still do damage to them.I am not promoting violence,i am just mad that It costs a lot of money to get computer fixed after these bums have done there job,let me at them.:mad:

Maggie-may
15-01-10, 12:28
Thankfull I haven't had one of these spam's I assume it's because of my security system, I don't use 'Norten' and other stuff that most use, I use ESET NOD 32, my son takes care of my computer, I did once get a message about a virus on my computer saying that if I sent them $50.00 they would get rid of it, I just told my son and he got rid of it for me, and it didn't cost me anything!

eeyorelover
07-04-10, 16:36
I'm bumping this to remind everyone not to click on any link sent by a member you don't know and trust.
xxx
Sandy

Redrainbow
07-04-10, 18:27
Thankyou for the warning,,,,shame there are such sad people out there,,,but like i say thankyou for the warning.

sarah jayne
07-04-10, 18:49
Theres some sad and pathetic people out there, i really dont understand how someone can get a thrill out of messing innocent peoples pcs up. My mum got a virus off facebook last week and hasnt been able to use her pc since. Thanks for the warning x

KK77
07-04-10, 20:01
I think we should complain - bloody spammers pffft

Utility
08-04-10, 20:09
Hi

Always adopt a policy of not opening anything if you are not expecting it then you shouldn't go wrong. I'm affraid it's a fact of life that some people do think it is fun to send such things. It's like junk mail through the post - how many of us open it up and read it? We don't - straight into the recycling with it!