PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with depression my story

KazD
13-01-10, 23:11
Hi this is my first posting on here, my story in brief, started with post natal depression 14 years ago, was put on seroxat after 18 months, been on it ever since at varying strengths. Had CPN on and off for 5 years, been on various counselling sessions, nothing ever helped much, except for hypnotherapy but couldn't afford to keep paying for it. GP keeps referring me to places but no one really wants to help because I manage to hold down a job they don't seem to understand it's the only reason I get out of bed each day I have to support my family, they think if I can work I'm not ill. So fed up of feeling depressed GP referred me to help get me off seroxat and onto a different medication as it may not be as effective after such a long time but so fed up of waiting I've started to reduce my dose myself. I have tried to come off before but the lowest I got was 10mg before side effects got too bad. I have a long way to go as I am coming down from 60mg this time so far I've got down to 30mg and the side effects are just starting to kick in. Any help or advise would be really appreciated as to if there is anything anyone has found that will help me through the bad times.

diane07
13-01-10, 23:13
Hi KazD

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

maybeoneday
13-01-10, 23:19
hi
im have been on seroxat for 11 years 20mg, they worked great for me up until 3 years ago i was enjoying life again to the full now im part housebound with agriphobia have been fr 3 years, my doctor has told me to go upto 30mg but im frightened of the side effects it might cause, you are brave coming off of them, why dont you stay on 30mg for now untill you get some help with coming off them.

KK77
13-01-10, 23:24
Hello KazD

I was on Seroxat for a long time and had a very hard time coming of it. You have to do it very slowly and it would help if you asked your GP to prescribe the liquid/oral solution paroxetine, because then you can reduce it much more gradually. It's certainly not a med to stop abruptly.

Welcome to NMP and good luck coming off paroxetine.

KazD
14-01-10, 01:15
Hi maybeoneday, thanks for your reply, if it's any help when ever I increased my dose I found the only side effect I had was that I was more sleepy, if you are worried though why not try just increasing by 5mg first and see how you feel. I am going to stay on 30mg for a while as I've started with withdrawal symptoms which is why I'm on here and wide awake at 1am when they settle down I'll try to reduce the dose some more

KazD
14-01-10, 01:21
Hi Melancholia77, thanks for your advice, I intend to take it slowly, changing to a liquid is a good idea because as you say I would be able to reduce the dose more slowly, I will ask my GP if I can do that. Were you able to get off it completely, how long did it take you ?

KK77
14-01-10, 14:12
Hi Melancholia77, thanks for your advice, I intend to take it slowly, changing to a liquid is a good idea because as you say I would be able to reduce the dose more slowly, I will ask my GP if I can do that. Were you able to get off it completely, how long did it take you ?

It took me a few months after many failed attempts. But I managed it in the end. I was on 20mg. I could never tolerate the higher doses.

I won't say it's easy but definitely possible. It also varies for people: some have a much easier time than others.