PDA

View Full Version : Physical health problems triggering relapse

shortstuff
14-01-10, 02:02
Generally speaking, since undergoing CBT and moving jobs, my panic disorder has all but subsided. However, since having a flu-like virus in October I have been plagued with catching one thing after another! Most recently this has been a viral infection affecting my saliva glands and the glands in my neck. The virus is one thing, but I have noticed that with each bug or virus various anxiety symptoms are returning.

The main ones are: palpitations, hyperacusis (everyday sound intolerance), nervousness amonst others, sudden fear. With these my safety behavious are also returning. Fortunately, thanks to CBT, I am able to recognise the early signs, but am somewhat at a loss as to what to do about them.

Is this just a side effect of other illness or should I be concerned that the anxiety is creeping back? To make things worse, having moved location, I haven't really found a GP in my new surgery who I would feel comfortable discussing this with (I sort of think a couple of them just think I'm a drama queen / hypercondriac) - my last GP was fab!

I would really appreciate how other people have dealt with stresses following recovery.

Thanks for letting me whinge on here :blush:

Midnight
14-01-10, 19:02
Hi Shortstuff,

Sorry to hear you are feeling nervous again. I suffer from anxiety but have been generally well for the past 6 years. A number of minor health problems triggered my anxiety. I refused to believe it was anxiety and subsequently became very unwell and consumed by anxiety.

It may just be that your body is exhausted after fighting off all those viruses but I think you should find a GP and discuss it with them and if it is anxiety they can recommend help before it spirials out of control.

Hope you feel better soon