PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with panic & anxiety

Lauz
14-01-10, 05:12
I have only been recently diagnosed with anxiety and panic attacks. I was only suffering from them for around 3 – 4 weeks before I went to the doc. They were so sever and so scary I had no idea what was going on.
The long and the short is as a result of compounded stresses in my life that I haven’t dealt with, well at least at the time I felt like I was dealing great but obviously not. As a result of an injury just over a month ago (neck and back which was causing pain and headaches) all of this just came out.

Since being diagnosed I have been on medication, Pristiq. Which at first made me worse, any side effect of that drug you name it I got it. From dizziness, nausea, dry mouth, head aches to insomnia.
I have now been on the meds for 4 weeks and am feeling much better, the anxiety feeling has stopped and the panic attacks too! YAY. Yet I do find myself having glitches. Now I can feel my brain thinking rationally and I can feel when it decides to be a pain and switch to thinking irrationally which I think is a good thing to be able to determine that now.
Along with meds I am seeing someone to help me, which has been really useful. Just talking about it all puts me at ease.
So the road has been rocky but it looks bright.

The one thing that is causing issues it that my neck is still quite stiff and the headaches are still around, not as full on as before but still there.
I can put it down to still being stressed which results in all of this, or perhaps the medication I am not sure. Yet this seems to be the lasting physical symptoms that I am having these days that I can’t move on from and it feels like it is holding me back.

Look forward to chatting and any advice!
Thanks, Lauz
:)

diane07
14-01-10, 05:13
Hi Lauz

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Vanilla Sky
14-01-10, 09:25
Welcome to NMP :welcome: Paige x

Brunette
14-01-10, 13:48
Hi Lauz,

I'm really glad you went to the doctor early and that you are now feeling better but please make sure you address the causes of your anxiety. The meds have obviously helped with your symptoms, which is great, especially in the short term when you have been feeling so awful, but they won't get rid of the reason why you became anxious in the first place. Your "glitches" are probably the unresolved anxiety forcing its way to your attention.

Also, have you seen a physiotherapist about your neck problems?

Lauz
14-01-10, 20:31
Hi Brunette,
I am seeing someone to help me through the issues that are causing the anxiety, which is definately helping, guess it will just take longer than a few sessions.

I am feeling better about all the stuff in my life and am not in the same mind frame I was when everything was at it's worst, so when I get my glitches it brings me down cause I feel like I am doing so well and then it trys to surface again.

I have seen a physio but that wasn't giving me much help so I am now seeing an osteo which has been great but because I am still getting stressed etc it is not helping the neck problems.

Brunette
15-01-10, 12:17
Hi Lauz,

I carry a alot of tension in my neck too. Indirectly it was the cause of my first panic attack. It was painful so I loaded up on express painkillers which were full of caffeine - big mistake! :ohmy:

Anyway, it is good to hear you are getting treatment both for your anxiety and your neck and that you are feeling better about your life. Setbacks are normal with anxiety - especially since it can often be difficult to pin down what's actually making us anxious - so just accept them and try not to let them get you down too much.

B