PDA

View Full Version : Can't remember what 'normal' feels like

skippy66
14-01-10, 14:42
I've had health anxiety for around 7 years now, im 28 yrs old. It started at university, my ectopics started then as did my panic attacks.

Right now I'm totally tuned into my body and get a horrendous amount of symptoms, nearly all of which give me that lurch of impending doom. Some of them include:

severe stabbing chest pains
tight chest pains
fast heartrate
missed beats
runs of missed beats
upper stomach pain
dizziness
stomach cramps
vision disturbances
one eye - feels droopy
twitching muscles
stabbing head pains
migraines lasting days
frequent nosebleeds
ear pulsing
ear feeling weird, as if blood rushing to it
headrushes
shortness of breath on and off
panic attacks
feeling spaced out particularly in supermarkets
feeling generally unwell
feeling of impending doom
feeling worse and worse as each day wears on until sleep
wanting to just go to bed all the time
tiredness - wanting to nap every day

Every day I get some symptom or another, usually several each day

eg today so far,

woke up short of breath
one eye feels droopy, weak
palpitations
few chest pains during shower
minor nosebleed
few head pangs
dont exercise much now due to intense fear of heart attack and pvcs during exercise

I had a frank chat with the doctor a few weeks ago about all the symptoms, and he's prescribed citalopram, but i dont want to take it because i feel medication like this is a slippery slope. i have some diazepam for emergencies which helps.

8 years ago I used to play loads of sport, be ultra sociable and get excited about upcoming events rather than dreading them because I'm worrying about what symptoms I will have.

I used to be normal, but I cant remember what that feels like. The closest I got was a couple of months ago I had a game of squash, and felt absolutely great after it like I wanted to play again and could do anything. It filled me with confidence for about 3 hours.

Can anyone else relate?

I cant remember whether 8 years ago I

a) didnt get the symptoms because I was fit and healthy
b) got them but just brushed them off as nothing

margom
14-01-10, 15:44
Am glad you put that out there. I have the a lot of the same symptoms and am really struggling. Quite new to the site and never know what to do or say when I have a look. It gets right on top of me and I can't even say how I feel cause I feel so stupid. As all I get from my doc is that it's just anxiety......just anxiety!!!. Not sure if he has any idea how it feels.

If it helps any I have had these feelings for years, several tests and everything comes back ok....and I have to think I am still here. But it seems to take the brain time to acknowledge this. Not sure how to get back to what was my 'normal'!. But looking around this website it seems that we are not alone. I have found it quite a help in just reading the information and perhaps trying to follow some of the remedies. It seems to have helped a wee bit but how long it will last I don't know.

I suppose we just have to hang in there and hope.