PDA

View Full Version : panic attacks brought on by claustrophobia

jayye
15-01-10, 00:14
I have claustrophobia or fear of being in a place / situation that I cannot instantly get out of if I need to. Tonight I have been to a meeting at my childrens school, we were seated in a room with lots of people in, then I noticed the door was closed. And if I got out of that door there was another door I needed to get through to get out of the building. And I did not know if the other outside door would be locked (although deep down I suspected it would be open but of course my mind didnt think straight).

So I tried to distract myself but I was facing the closed door and started to feel panic. Then someone knocked on the window to be let in which made me think the outside door must be locked, then that was it, the feelings of fear rushed over me, I got hot and felt a rush sort of rise through my body. Now sometimes I can keep panic feelings under control if the rush doesnt rise too high (if you know what I mean), and distraction will calm me down again for a while. But tonight the fight or flight kicked in and I rushed to door to get out. The outside door was unlocked from the inside so all was well.

But what an idiot I made of myself. I have to explain my disappearance tomorrow. And now I will probably have to avoid any further similar situations at the school. Im not sure why sometimes I can help myself a little, and other times the panic comes on so fast I just have to get out of there. I really dont want to add school meetings to my banned list along with trains, planes, lifts and fairground rides to name a few.

jack44
15-01-10, 16:11
Many of us are in the exact same boat as you...There was a time in my life where I could not leave my own house...and fear of being closed in was a big part of that...Going to stores, driving, flying...were out of the question until I got my anxiety under control

Annabelle
15-01-10, 17:12
I get that too! Im agoraphobic but claustrophobic as well!! I cant be in small spaces lifts tunnels etc, because i cant escape - which is claustrophobia, however a huge part of agoraphobia is not being able to escape a situation - ie a meeting, a lecture, a classroom, a restaurant - anywhere that would be odd for me to just get up and leave causes anxiety for me - which is a symptom of agoraphobia.
When people ask i say im agoraphobic - so they say (helpfully!) so you could travel if you were in a little box or something (?!) and i have to say no cos im claustrophobic too! - thats when they give me a funny look and start backing away!! :roflmao:

can't win!!

xx

eternally optimistic
16-01-10, 16:11
OMG, I feel the panic for you...

I'm like that, most people think I'm a "normal" person, I think - LOL.

But, the situations you have explained are me all over.

I'm trying hard to go to all the scary places and overcome, but the feelings I get when it happens are so unpleasant, frightening.

I've got that I prepare myself for the worst, which is setting me up for disaster, I know.

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT.

I'd love to say I'll get back on a plane, even with medication, this year, but I'm not sure it will happen.

GOOD LUCK FOR THE FUTURE AND HANG IN THERE, YOU CAN DO IT.