PDA

View Full Version : Is coating on tongue(especially back of it) normal ?

Starscream
15-01-10, 13:19
Only just recently noticed this as I check my tongue very very regularly and seem to find something up with that and my gums each week. I have a dental appt on Monday. It's kinda white/yellowish. I am not sure exactly.

Just wondering if this is normal as I have brushed and brushed and brushed and it wont go away at all. :weep:

I am not going to Google it for once as I will do myself more harm.

Alabasterlyn
15-01-10, 14:13
It could just be a build up of plaque on your tongue. They do say you should brush your tongue every time you brush your teeth or use one of those tongue scrapers. Mine is like that some of the time and my dentist has never commented on it so I really wouldn't worry :hugs:

Starscream
15-01-10, 14:22
Ended up caving in and looking on Google and the first three pages it went onto were for HIV and Leukemia related issues, for christ sake .

Apart from occasional tight chests, little night coughs and occasional itching which turns to rashes through scratching, I am ok :weep:

Surely I would have a lot lot more symptoms I have anything really major ? I've been so anxious about my health since Dec 2008 and still not had anything HUGE.

All my tongue problems seem to have developed since I got Asthma at the start of last year and my inhaler may be an issue but there is nothing of that online it's just all bad news

RLR
15-01-10, 14:33
A coating on the tongue's surface is most commonly due to either mouth-breathing during sleep or the use of peroxide-based toothpaste or mouthwash. Some beverages if consumed regularly can also be contributory on a very temporary basis, but less so than the former mentioned causes.

Peroxide reactions with the tissues on the tongue are actually quite resistant to removal by toothbrush and care should be taken not to work to the extent that the tongue becomes sore or inflamed as a consequence.

Manufacturers capitalize on the issue by providing scrapers, but it should be stated here that halitosis actually come more from the lungs than the mouth unless a particularly strong odor-precipitating food like garlic has been recently consumed, which is temporary in nature. The only other issue that can produce bad breath is gum disease or infection. So scraping the tongue to remove films thought to be producing halitosis should be contemplated more carefully.

Coatings on the tongue can sometimes be among other clinical signs of certain illnesses, but the constellation of other symptoms absolutely must be present for this to be considered. A coated tongue in of itself is almost virtually non-pathological and due to the reasons stated above.

You'll be fine. Your particular situation would be considered non-pathological.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Starscream
15-01-10, 18:55
Thanks for the reply there. I just can't stop looking in the mirror and it seems to be spreading to the FRONT of my tongue now. I hate this. I wish I never had this sort of thing up with me.

RLR
16-01-10, 01:04
Well, it's slightly possible that you may have oral thrush if you're taking certain medications. It's easy to determine by taking a tablespoon of vinegar and swishing it back and forth in your mouth for 30 seconds or so for a couple of days. If it's thrush, it will magically disappear.

If it does, then I suggest that you contact your doctor if you're taking medications that may be responsible. If not, then it's always a good idea to investigate the underlying reason.

If there is no change after using the vinegar, then it's still most likely due to mouth-breathing or the use of certain mouthwashes etc.

Incidentally, do NOT try to gargle with the vinegar. Simply swish it around in your mouth and expel it.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)