PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety induced derealization

noodle
16-01-10, 01:48
Hey,

For the past three months I have been suffering from anxiety and derealization. The derealization came three days after my anxiety, which felt quite strong but I was able to go out of the house and interact socially. This is a sign that it isn't so bad right?

It's terrifying. I am scared, I cannot lie. Please, I need reassurance from people who have gotten over derealization. The only thing causing my anxiety is the thought of derealization and the few second blips of it I get.

What I need is reassurance. People who have had derealization and had it go away. I know it will not go until my anxiety goes but it is a viscous cycle: anxiety > derealization > anxiety about derealization.

Sometimes I feel it when I'm not anxious. I read it's caused by a chemical build up induced by anxiety, so those chemicals will still not have gone if I only stopped being anxious an hour ago right?

It's so scary. I am so scared. Please, I need advice. I know distraction is how to cure it but once the thought of it creeps into your mind, it's hard to stop thinking about it.

My doesn't seem that severe, it isn't constant and it's not depersonalization anymore, just derealization. But even when it's not there I'm worried about it.

Please tell me this goes away!!

Also, since it's caused by anxiety I have been thinking of going to the doctor to get an anti-anxiety drug which will stop the anxiety and therefore allow the derealization to pass. Thus breaking the cycle. Good idea?

Thankyou all!!!!

gaz1983
16-01-10, 02:18
It goes away!

I had it tonight just like you for very brief seconds its terryfying though I agree

But trust me as a 8 and a half year (on and off) sufferer it goes away but when it comes back you will swear to yourself that "this times its different" etc

noodle
16-01-10, 03:26
It goes away!

I had it tonight just like you for very brief seconds its terryfying though I agree

But trust me as a 8 and a half year (on and off) sufferer it goes away but when it comes back you will swear to yourself that "this times its different" etc

That doesn't give me much hope :(

I don't want it to "come back". I had it before after an EXTREMELY traumatising drug experience. It went away after a few days though and never came back, except for a second once when I really tried hard to remember how it once felt, but I never felt it once aside from that.

I think maybe this board is the wrong place to find people who have gotten over it completely. After all, all here have a painful anxiety issue, and anxiety is what causes derealization.

noodle
16-01-10, 16:33
Hey,

I read an interesting article on how derealization is nothing to be feared and the only thing that causes us to get irrationally scared is our fear of it. Like our mind is doing something to protect us. It isn't stupid or against us, our mind is there FOR us and once it realises that everything is OK it will stop the derealization mechanism.

That thought is very true. Who knows what type trauma we could have suffered had our mind not activated the derealization, especially in regards to traumatic hallucinogenic experiences. One thing's for sure though, I am never touching a substance stronger than alcohol / painkillers again in my life.

Talking about recovery from DR seem incorrect too, since it's a positive thing your brain does to protect us. You do not recover in the same was that you do not recover from, say vomiting. It is your body's perfect mechanism of helping you out, even though it may seem scary or unpleasant at the time.

pinkpiglet
16-01-10, 16:54
Hi, i am an old hand at derealization! I have been experiencing this for many years and it is my main and sometimes my only symptom!! Sometimes i can go many mths without experiencing it and then it can happen often. It doesnt get any better and it doesnt get any easier you just have to learn to accept it. I am sorry for been so blunt and to the point but i have feared this feeling for so long and i know it better than i know my best friend. Sometimes i can fight it and control it a little (enough to see it through) and other times i go into flight mode and it cripples me!!! I hate derealization with a vengeance. This (and dizziness) are the only two downsides to my life, anything else i can live with. I really have nothing positive to say on the issue but just to let you know you are not alone!! I hope this is just a passing phase for you though, as everyone is different. Take care, xx

noodle
16-01-10, 18:41
Thanks for your replies. I'm very sorry to hear that Piglet. I know for me this is only a temporary thing, I think it is only a temporary thing for everyone.

I feel a lot better today. This is just a habit of thought, habbits can be broken. I think I'm going to stop posting on this maybe, I really wanted to hear stories of people who have gotten over it. It is quite difficult to feel progress when you're coming back here and reading of other people suffering for a long time, because it brings it all back.

If anyone has any good recovery stories it would be of great help. It's good to know I'm not alone and I think everyone out there should know that this is totally beatable. DR is not your enemy, it is your overreaction to an uncomfortable symptom that is the enemy. Sack that, there is no enemy - everything your body does is for your own good. This is just one of the more unpleasant things.

Again any stories of total recovery would be nice. I have beat this once before and I know I will beat it again.

Thanks

noodle
18-01-10, 01:39
I dunno' if anyone's reading this but I just wanna' say that I think I have finally gotten over my derealization. My anxiety has all but gone and the derealization has subsequently stopped.

I'm just going to keep myself occupied now to distance myself from the memory.

Trust me people, there is hope for everyone. Everyone can fully recover, it has only been two days of near 100% normality but I know I'm there - done with this very weird symptom and the anxiety that causes it.

Here's from me then.. It has been a hard few months. Goodluck to everyone (not that you need it, beating anxiety is totally doable).

rozie
18-01-10, 02:20
In my experience , it isn't whether or not you have totally gotten over a problem ,its how you deal with it.

Your message sounds very frightened and you were initially in need of a lot of reassurance. Please know that you can take control of the situation whatever happens and that these symptoms, however terrifying are only that..symptoms.
Nothing more and nothing less.

Always here if you need to talk

Rozie

noodle
18-01-10, 02:45
In my experience , it isn't whether or not you have totally gotten over a problem ,its how you deal with it.

Your message sounds very frightened and you were initially in need of a lot of reassurance. Please know that you can take control of the situation whatever happens and that these symptoms, however terrifying are only that..symptoms.
Nothing more and nothing less.

Always here if you need to talk

Rozie

Thanks for the reply.

I know what you mean about the way we deal with it. I don't feel like I have to deal with this anymore though, I think I'm pretty much "over" this bump in my life.

When I first got the symptoms I paniced and did the worst thing anyone could do - go online and look for help / other sufferers which emphasised my fear.

I felt a little bit anxious tonight, even though I cannot feel the derealization anymore, but the thought in the back of my mind of it returning and starting all over again was making me a bit queasy. I know now that it's just a fear, the derealization isn't going to come back - it took a very bad drug reaction for it to cause it and I won't be doing anything like that again in my life. I have just become so used to having something to fear that it's a habit, but only a habit.

Thanks

username5927
15-02-10, 05:57
Agreed. The derealization is a real downer. It seems like this has always been the cause of my panic attacks. The derealization makes me feel like nothing is real or I'm going crazy, exc exc. The Derealization is just a way for your body to handle the stress and anxiety. I've noticed that poor diet and sleep pattern and too much alcohol will give me the derealization. It's almost comical, I don't feel the anxiety until I feel the derealization which starts the circle.
I force myself to start donig something. Anything. Cleaning the house, going for a walk, working out. Anything to take my mind off of it and it passes. Eventually when we're able to deal with our anxiety in a more productive way, i don't think we'll feel the derealization as much if at all.
I'm three weeks sober and two weeks without a cigarette today. I think the lack of both is causing me a lot more stress and that's what is causing my derealization. Which keeps me on edge about having a panic attack. I can tell you for certain though, it's not forever. It does pass. We're just a little more sensitive than other people so stress and anxiety affects us differently.

Ralphie09
21-02-10, 16:41
Hello Mate,

I had this for ages and its just a reaction to the amount of adrenalin that is released in to your body that feeds the anxiety. I promise its nothing to worry about.

If you have a hangover you get a head ache, if you have a cold you get a runny nose, if you cut your finger it hurts. Anxiety is like this except you get symptoms like derealization, shortness of breath racing heart beat etc. The more more you concentrate on these sensations the more intense they become and the more sensations you will get so its a vicious cycle.

Its hard but you need to just keep telling yourself theres nothing wrong with yourself and this feeling will go away. I promise.

Millions of people will suffer from derealization all over the world. No harm has ever come to anyone who suffers from it so please dont worry its totally natural for anxiety sufferers.

I find running helps as it will relax you afterwards and it takes your mind of it. Try it I guarente it will help you.

Anyway good luck with your anxiety, and feel free to contact me if you need more reasurance.