PDA

View Full Version : BPD - borderline personality disorder OR bi-polar disorder??

BabyRachel
16-01-10, 05:54
My doctor reffered me to a psychiatrist and when I got home I read the refferal and she had written - '? BPD'.

I thought this meant bi polar disorder so I typed it into google, to do some research and then all these things came up about borderline personality disorder.

It might be my ignorance of mental health short hand but did she mean Bi Polar or Borderline Personality Disorder??

I'm going to ask the psychiatrist when I get an appointment with her but I'd just like anyones opinion...

Thanks in advance for any replies. xx:hugs:

Ronny
16-01-10, 06:26
Hello Rachel.
How are you,I have seen a couple of your threads and thought i would reply,do not read to much into this as the Psych will let you know,don't go worrying yourself to much it will only make you sick,I have been back on chat I caved in and have talked to some lovely people,some of them are new to the site and very friendly to me.Don't worry.I will talk to you on chat.
Rhonda:)

BabyRachel
16-01-10, 06:30
Thanks Ronny, we will definatly talk in chat :)

Im not so much worrying - just very eager to get treatment!! hehe. xx

happyone
16-01-10, 10:15
Hi Rachel,

not sure if you saw my reply on the other thread....basically it could mean either. Why not phone up your GP and ask for clarification? However....if you don't mind me asking, what are your presenting symptoms that your doc has referred you for?

Happyone
xx

BabyRachel
16-01-10, 10:34
The main symptoms are anxiety, phobias, depression and lack of appetite...

I read all about bi-polar and i concluded i don't fit the critera... But when I read about borderline personality disorder i fit the criteria almost to the T...

xx

sunshine-lady
17-01-10, 00:50
Hi

I have both borderline personality disorder and bipolar. Borderline personality disorder is BPD and bipolar is BD. Just to add further confusion - borderline personality disorder is also now known as emotionally unstable personality disorder! :shrug:

Good luck with your appointment xxx

leo05
17-01-10, 01:24
yeah just as di says lol - i have borderline personality disorder and i got told it was bpd so thats what i use more easier to say lol

BabyRachel
17-01-10, 07:01
Thanks sunshine and lea.

I did some reading on the symptoms of Borderline personality disorder and i fit most of them so well it shocked the life out of me...

Im really keen to go see this psychiatrist so she can figure out if I do and help me with treatment! xx

KK77
17-01-10, 22:28
I was told I had this many years ago. Another doctor told me I didn't. To be honest a lot of depressed people suffer from anger, labile moods, sensitivity to rejection etc and it's such a subjective thing that's very difficult in my opinion to measure. It just sounds to me like different names for the same sort of conditions.

NoPoet
18-01-10, 14:50
The problem seems to be that people think of bipolar (for example) as one single illness and everyone who suffers from it suffers in exactly the same way. In fact it seems to me that bipolar, depression, anxiety, all of these are umbrella words which each cover a vast range of symptoms and severities.

It's likely the notes on the referral form are simply an early guess of what the doctor thinks might be helpful for the psych to look into first. You may display some traits (but not all of them). It could also be some kind of medical terminology we don't know.