PDA

View Full Version : Lithium....

FreeSpriritedLiss
16-01-10, 13:43
Hi,
I've been taking citalopram on and off for about two and a half years, now. Problem is, I don't think I'm depressed. I have horrendous, unstable moods that swing from one way to the other several times a day. I'm only 21, so it's not the menopause :p
I went to the doctor last Monday to ask for Lithium, and they've got me an appointment with the psychiatrist to see if I'm eligible for it.

Does anybody else have any experiences with Lithium??? thanks:shades:

ElizabethJane
16-01-10, 14:40
I am taking lithium 1,000mg and have been on it for about twelve years. I take it in combination with other meds. It is usually prescribed for bi-polar illness and treatment resistant and severe recurrent depression. It is best that a psychiatrist monitors you whilst you take lithium as it can have some serious side effects. However GPs do prescribe it and I have always been alright whilst taking it. It has to be taken regularily at the same time and fluid levels need to be kept up at all times. If you have prolonged tummy upset it is best to call your GP as it can affect the lithium levels in the blood. Lithium blood levels are taken every three months and at the beginning of your treatment it could be every week until a therapeutic level is established. Mine are usually 0.5-0.6ml a little on the low side. It is a drug that has been a lifesaver for me and yet it is an older type of mood stabiliser. However you will have to stop taking ibuprofen and nsaids(anti inflamatories) as these affect the lithium levels in the blood. Some of the side effects such as changes in kidney and thyroid function as irreversible but so long as you are responsible when you take it and report any changes then it will probably work well for you. However there are many other mood stabilisers as well as other drug combinations and therapy so you might not need lithium or he might choose something else instead. I hope you start to feel better soon.

sunshine-lady
17-01-10, 00:30
I have been taking mood stabilisers for many years along with other medications, although I haven't tried Lithium. I was put off taking it by the side effects asocciated with it, especially the weight gain. However, I go to a resource centre for adults with mental health issues and know several people that swear by Lithium.

I take Lamotrigine (400mg) as a mood stabiliser which works very well for me. Lamotrigine, like some other mood stabilisers, is a medication used to control epelipsy as well.

Good luck with your appointment and please let us know how you get on xxxx

ElizabethJane
17-01-10, 13:08
Hi Sunshine lady. Hi Freespirited lass. Interestingly I have never put on weight with lithium. It is mirtazapine that I have a problem with. As Sunshinelady says there are many mood stabilisers so hopefully your psychiatrist will find one that suits you.

gypsywomen
17-01-10, 13:43
well my mother took it my god she went down hill fast changed her whole personality ,, it made her tum bad that bad she had to have blood transfusion ,its up to you but i saw what my mother went through it was hell ,

suzy-sue
17-01-10, 14:53
Your poor mum was unfortunate Gypsy ,,,What works for one doesnt always work for the next one tho .The same can be said for a lot of Meds ..It sounds like she had a really bad reaction ,..A friend i know takes Lithium and has no problems whatsoever .Its often a case of finding what works for you ,your Mums DR should have noticed she wasnt reacting right before it got so extreme .Hope she is ok now ? Sue x

gypsywomen
17-01-10, 14:55
thank you no she died,in a very unpleasent way

suzy-sue
17-01-10, 15:05
Im so sorry hun ..Thats terrible ..Hugs to you luv Sue :bighug1:xx

gypsywomen
17-01-10, 15:20
thank you

ElizabethJane
17-01-10, 15:29
Dear Gypsywoman I'm sorry about what happened to your mum. I have been taking lithium for thirteen years and I have not had an adverse reaction to it. However I am ever vigilant as it can have irreversible side effects. Saying that it has been a lifesaver for me and has enabled me to live a near normal life.

FreeSpriritedLiss
18-01-10, 09:44
Thank you to everyone for your advice...appointment for psychiatrist is booked for the 4th of Feb....mood seems to have levelled out since I've started back on the Cit and I have an appointment with the uni counselling service on Weds...will let you know what they say...xx