PDA

View Full Version : animals and well being

kate1
17-01-10, 20:09
I had seen Bills post about losing his beautiful dog.

I lost my Viszla, who was 14 and a tower of strength to me, and hes been gone for 2 years now.

I really think animals, cats, dogs, rabbits are a fantastic remedy for stress, anxiety, they are like your safe "friend"

bottleblond
17-01-10, 20:13
Hi Kate

I agree. I adore my animals because they are all have their own personalities, they are loyal and thay are great company.

I have a dog who is 9, 3 cats, a Tortoise and a hamster.

I think everyone should have pets lol

Lisa
xx

kate1
17-01-10, 20:14
Yep they really make a difference

PoppyC
17-01-10, 20:24
Hi
I agree. I cannot imagine my life now without pets.
I have 2 young cats and a new puppy and I have only had them since I became unwell and they have made a huge difference to how I feel - many times they have been the only reason why I got out of bed.
I prefer animals to people in so many ways.
I cannot imagine Bills pain at losing his dog. :weep:

kate1
17-01-10, 20:26
Poppy

Is that your dog in the pic, what breed is he/she. looks lovely.

Under~The~Stars
18-01-10, 20:08
I couldn't agree more!

I have my beautiful dog. He means the world to me... He is the only one who can soothe me when I'm feeling so bad...

I love him so much :hugs:

Pets are so very important...

The love you get, and give to a pet is more than any person can ever offer.

To all the beautiful pets in the world :bighug1:Of the past, present, and future...

x

Bill
19-01-10, 04:32
Kate, Thank you:hugs:

Sorry, I've only just come across your thread.

I'm sure you must understand how I've been feeling.:hugs: I find that if I have enough to keep my mind occupied I'm ok but often you only have to be watching TV and something comes on to remind you what you've lost. It's strange also how often for a split second you're expecting him to be there when you're rustling something!

It's been about 6 weeks now since I lost him and yet it feels like ages ago but then I realise it hasn't been that long when I find myself still waking after dreaming about him, and often after feeling as if I've been crying in the dream. That happened 2 nights running recently.

Isn't it strange how your emotions can be so affected by losing a pet....but that's it I guess, they become not just a pet. As you say, they become your "safe" friend. Somebody who is always there waiting for you when you come home. Someone who is always loyal and stays by your side...even if it is for food!

I think though that when you feel alone and have no friends to turn to around you, your pet becomes even more so your "special friend". I know when I lost my father, it wasn't my wife or my mother who I turned to. My wife has her illness so can't empathise and my mother of course was going through even more than me. No, it was my Special friend who I turned to. As soon as I walked in after seeing my father for the last time, I told my wife I was ok and went out with my dog. I knew I could just hold him and he'd give me the comfort I needed.

I don't just feel I've lost pet or even just my best friend. I've lost my comfort from someone next to me who I knew would always be there for me.

I must confess I worry now about my mothers illness. Every time I see her I observe changes but I know this time if I do end up losing her, my best friend won't be here to hold.

We had a dog before but we only had him 3 years. He became ill too and I'll always remember looking in the inside mirror in the car at his face knowing he wouldn't be coming back from the vets. That was bad but this time felt much much worse because we had our second dog much longer and he was such a lovely dog.

People say remember the good times but when I do, I miss him more and so hurt more. If I remember the bad times I just feel bad so either way I feel I can't win. I just find I'm best not dwelling and trying to keep my mind occupied with other things.

I've posted his pic in the Dep section under self esteem but I'll see if I can add it here too, and also added this link. It probably says all I need to say because I feel as he did about his special friend....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOspN586Nzk :bighug1:

Mudskipper
19-01-10, 10:29
Reading through this thread, it suddenly occurred to me that 15 long years have passed since I lost my last dog. As a bit of a loner during my formative years, he was my one constant faithful companion who never argued with me, never ignored me, was always there to provide me with a bit of a lift when I needed it. I've never replaced him, I could never bring myself to, but sometimes I think perhaps I should. When I think of all the stress anxiety and worry people have caused me I sometimes wish I'd stuck with animals instead...:huh:

nikk_dolittle
19-01-10, 10:39
I ifnd animals help so much, I have 59 of them!

Without them Im really lost..
sorry to hear about your lose tho.

Nikk xxxx

peach
19-01-10, 10:48
im a HUGE animal fan, especially dogs.

i currently have 3 of them lol.

i couldnt imagine life without them. i too lost my best friend, my dog 2 years ago, and miss her dearly. the dogs i have today are just so wonderful in their own ways too.

one of them who mostly ignores me cause shes in total love with my husband. she does this funny thing. whenever my heart starts racing and an enxiety attack starts, she seems to know and comes to me and keeps 'nosing' my hand to pat her. she did this for 45 mins once!!! i realised she wont let up untill my heart rate has slowed to normal again....its an amazing thing! even tho i hardly feel like patting her when im in that state.....

you hear so many amazing stories of what dogs do to save their owners....

there is no way they can ever be 'just' pets...
its been scientifically proven that pet owners live longer also!!!

i cant speak highly enough of dogs....and think they are perfect for people like us. each one is different, and if your not up for toilet training and puppy mess, there are heaps of older loving trained dogs that would love to love someone and give them a good home till the end of their lives.

i think we can learn a lot from dogs....

also, we take one of our dogs to the old peoples home when we visit, you should see thier faces!!! they just light up...and all these wonderful storys come out....

magpie girl
19-01-10, 13:58
:yesyes:My animals are my life,my family,and my best friends i could not imagine my life without them.They never judge you,they dont care if you havent brushed your hair,or if you dont follow fashion.Animals of all shapes and form accept you for who you are and give unconditional love :D:D:DAs most of you on here know my house is like a zoo,but everyone of my babies have there own personalitys,there own little foibles,and they do get cheeky and swear at me,but i wouldnt have it any other way:yesyes::yesyes:They give me a reason to wake everyday they make me smile and laugh,they are the light in my tunnel without them i could not exsist

Balinese
19-01-10, 15:01
I am so sorry to the member that has recently lost of beloved dog :(

I have 3 cats, a baby siamese boy - he's teeny at the moment!, an oriental girlie, and a balinese boy.

They really are my life, I adore them and each has a special personality!

magic girl
19-01-10, 20:25
i have a cat who is 14 i used to have his brother aswell but the poor lad got run over 5 years ago i was devestated i did'nt want to lose him like that i just want my pets to get into old age and go to sleep and not wake up not under the wheels of a car.3 years ago we decided to rescue a retired greyhound and its the best thing we have ever done she helps with my agrophobia as i have to take her out for walks and we also have tropical fish although they are my sons but i find them relaxing to watch.pets definatly help they always seem to know if we are feeling down my dog always snuggles up to me when im not well.