PDA

View Full Version : Breast clinic referral came through today!!!

Jo3016
18-01-10, 16:15
:scared15:
I saw my doctor last Tuesday about a breast lump that appeared over night about a month ago and is often tender. I have had a lot of hormonal problems over the last couple of years. The doctor did a thorough examination and said that she wasn't concerned but would do a non-urgent referral to a breast clinic. Today, I received the letter and the appointment is for this Thursday morning at 9am!!! :weep:

As I am in Surrey, the nearest breast clinic is at the Royal Marsden which is primarily a cancer hospital and this terrifies me!! Apparently, you are given the results while you are there so I won't have to wait!!

My doctor is not concerned about this and says it is just routine as they have to refer any one with a breast lump. A really good friend of mine who is a GP and who has been through a similar situation is also not worried. Everyone I speak to just says to get it out of the way and then I can get on but I feel so anxious. I can't keep my mind on anything else!! What is everyone is wrong and I have breast cancer? I am only 37 and have 3 small children. Help!!!

meg86
18-01-10, 16:24
Hello :)

I can imagine how scared you feel but remember 90% of lumps turn out not to be cancer, also with the hormonal problems its very likely its due to that.

even though you are terrified right now, your appointment coming through sooner may be a blessing in disguise, i would much rather have it done now instead of waiting and waiting and then waiting for the results on top of that!

I am having breast problems at the moment and i have been to my doctors 3 times and they wont send for a scan, i would do anything for them to refer me but they wont. Just look at it this way, if they didnt refer you, you would still be worrying and probably wouldnt give up until they did.

I know its impossible when i say try not to worry but with your circumstances and the fact it appeared overnight is a very good sign. :hugs:xx

karlyo
18-01-10, 22:07
Hi hun - I have also been referred to breast clinic after going to doc with pain and rash on one breast. My appt is tomorrow morning first thing - I will try to remember to let you know how it went and what they did etc - try not to worry, that's what I'm doing!

anotherworrier
18-01-10, 22:12
i have been getting breast pain, tenderness and can't bare to touch them, i read on internet that this is quite common in women, im on the pill and my breasts feel quite swollen and lumpy, its been 3 days now, should i go doctor?

Maj
18-01-10, 22:19
Of course you will be anxious and your imagination will be running riot, but as others have said: most breast lumps aren't cancer!! I was recalled because they had found something on my mammogram, I convinced myself that I was on the way out!! But it was 2 cysts which were aspirated there and then. I know how you feel but there's just as much, if not more, of a chance that they are benign cysts. Let us know how you get on.
Myra:hugs:

Jan63
19-01-10, 10:31
Please try not to worry so much. Doctors can usually tell if it's serious or not. I had a lump this time last year and I convinced myself it was cancer. I had to go to our local hospital's breast clinic and had two seperate mammograms (they did two because they thought they had seen something on my other breast which fortunately turned out to be nothing) and an ultrasound. I also got the results the same day and it turned out to be a cyst which they drained there and then. I think they have to refer everyone over 35 to the breast clinic just to be on the safe side even if the doctor thinks it is nothing. The breast consultant who I saw was lovely and made me feel at ease. They were all women too which I thought was good.:D

Will be thinking of you.:hugs::hugs:

SamanthaAU
19-01-10, 11:00
All the very best for your appointment, I will be thinking of you :hugs:

amandathepanda
19-01-10, 15:55
I went to the Gp this morning and he said I would get a non-urgent referral for my breast lump which he agreed with me was there. I'd been home an hour and the phone rang for an appt on Monday 25th. I am terrified, convinced I am going to come home and tell my children that I have breast cancer. My mind won't function, how will I last till Monday?

Jo3016
19-01-10, 16:21
Hi Amanda

I was told I would get a non-urgent referral too and my appointment came through for a week later. A GP friend of mine told me that, while your GP counts it as non-urgent, it is government policy now that all breast lumps are assessed within 2 weeks of referral. It doesn't mean anything sinister.

I was feeling really worried too yesterday after getting my referral but today I feel more positive. 90% of breast lumps are benign and I would rather have it assessed sooner rather than later so that I can stop worrying.

My appointment is at the Royal Marsden on Thursday at 9am. I will let you know how I get on. Take care x

amandathepanda
19-01-10, 17:36
Good luck for Thursday, I will be thinking of you x

charsey
19-01-10, 23:33
Goodluck for thursday will be thinking of you x x x

Jo3016
21-01-10, 14:06
Went to the breast clinic this morning at the Royal Marsden. I had a breast examination and an ultrasound and nothing untoward was discovered thankfully!!

I feel so relieved but also totally exhausted as I have been worrying so much over it. I just hope I can have a little time to relax now and not just start obsessing about something else!!

amandathepanda
21-01-10, 16:28
I am so happy for you, I know it is so emotionally draining, I just hope that I am as lucky on Monday. I had to go to the docs yesterday and get some Diazepam to bring me down from the ceiling. I have covinced myself I have terminal breast cancer and will have to tell my kids on Monday that I am dying. This anxiety is killing me.

amandathepanda
25-01-10, 20:54
Thank god, all that worry, it was a cyst that they drained with a needle. Thanks for your positive thoughts x

shoegal
25-01-10, 20:59
Phew! It was good to get it over with quickly so now you can put it behind you and stop worrying! :flowers:

Cell block H fan
25-01-10, 21:03
Thank god, all that worry, it was a cyst that they drained with a needle. Thanks for your positive thoughts x

Thats fabulous news both of you. Ive been through the ultrasound for a breast lump thing. Convinced myself I was dying, mind playing tricks wondering if I missed the lump before & it had been there ages!
Mine too was a cyst & they drained it off. Orangy coloured fluid.
Mine didn't go completely the first time, seemed to fill again slightly within a couple of days, but my doctor drained the remainder off, she said once its been confirmed what it was she could do it.
No problems since, & that was years ago now.
Its exausting Jo, but its like you can breathe again now, bet you slept well that night! :bighug1:

Jan63
01-02-10, 21:41
That's fantastic news both of you:yahoo: and I know exactly how you feel cos I was the same a year ago. :hugs:

amandathepanda
05-02-10, 21:25
Knowing me I'll just find another health issue to worry about !!