PDA

View Full Version : Does Anybody Have diarrhoea as a side effect of mirtazapine please?

smudger
18-01-10, 23:28
Hi. I was wondering if anybody suffers diarrhoea while on mirtazapine please? Its hard for me to tell if my tablets are causing this but I seem to be suffering badly since I started this tablet before xmas. I've sort of been living with it because it makes a change from constipation but Im getting fed up with it now. This drug has caused me stress n anxiety (though the doctor claims NOT in his infinate wisdom) and I know that can cause the big D.I am thinking about asking the doc for a test for Coeliacs disease as I suffer from bloatedness n cramps too esecially when I eat gluten (My sister and father both have it), but I could say this about dairy too so that could be IBS which mum has. I just want to explore all possibilities before I speak to the doc. Thank you.

nomorepanic
18-01-10, 23:55
Hi there

Have a read of the posts in this specific forum..

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=64

smudger
20-01-10, 21:00
Gr8 thanks

Redrainbow
22-01-10, 22:13
Hello Smudger,
Yes i'm on it and i have all the side effects you say, including the shakes, are you getting them too?
Regards Wayne.

RLR
22-01-10, 23:53
Okay, diarrhea is a common side-effect of mirtazapine treatment due to its effects on neurotransmitters which effect the GI tract and colon, particularly serotonin. It most often but not always subsides with continued treatment.

If you experience symptoms for more than a week, then contact your doctor. It's always important to monitor diarrhea because if severe enough, it can result in dehydration and electrolyte imbalance which can cause problems rather abruptly in certain instances.

Discuss alternatives with your doctor if you continue experiencing side-effects. Other equally effective agents are available.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

smudger
26-01-10, 14:52
Redrainbow and RLR, thanks for responding. Redrainbow, I'm glad to tell you the shakes have passed thank goodness as have many of the side effects. So there is hope! I really genuinely hated mirtazapine during the side effects experience but I am getting better so I will stick with it. My irritation/anger is improving which was my prime concern and I CAN see alight at the end of the tunnel. I gotta say this combined with healthy eating and exercise is working for me. I truly wish it for you and the millions of fellow sufferers out there. RLR, thankyou for your expertise, my bowel problem is still there but Ive altered my diet alot and although Im suffering on and off I can see a slight improvement, again I will persevere. I think its a mixture of stress and food sensitivity and I haved been living with it for so long I've sort of adapted to it!