PDA

View Full Version : Hello, new to this site but a panic/anxiety veteran.

Rob83
18-01-10, 23:35
Hi I'm Rob, 26, and have suffered from panic attacks for about 5 years now but as long as I can remember I've had social anxiety. I've been reading a good lot of the posts on here and it blows me away how many people are going through what I live every day, its a big comfort that I'm not as alone with this condition as I once thought.
My panic attacks started almost immediately after been made redundant. My life has moved on for the better but still they hang around not helped by the life long social anxiety I'm sure. I have a list of things I 'cant' do (or wont if I'm true to myself) and I am trying to overcome them one by one. I am not a big drinker, I find alcohol only makes the situation worse but I do use cigarettes as a control mechanism (thank you smoking ban) going outside for 5 minutes to recompose myself. Does anyone else do this? (I hope not smoking is BAD).
I found a book 'When Panic Attacks' by Aine Turbridy about 6 months into my panic attacks when I honestly thought I was going insane, I will sing this books praises from the rooftop as I think I actually owe it my life, it helped me understand the condition I have and has lots of different ways to control it.
Anyway I'll not waffle on any more just a bit of background, hope to chat to like minded people and share ideas and problems.

nomorepanic
18-01-10, 23:37
Hi Rob83

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

jacko296
19-01-10, 19:30
Hi Rob...
Welcome..hope to see you around.

J.

Persephone
20-01-10, 18:51
Have you looked at 'The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook' by Edmund J. Bourne? I've just recommended it in another thread as it has some practical things in there like charts and tables you can photocopy and fill in to better understand your symptoms and what brings them on. I don't necessarily think they're amazing exercises in and of themselves, but I've found that just taking an active role in my problem and making the effort to work through things can be helpful in giving you a sense of confidence and control, instead of letting yourself feel victimized by anxiety.

I do sometimes do things to get composure too, like popping to the loo to just calm down for a bit. I think it's quite a normal thing to do, however little 'safety behaviours' like that can be causing you more trouble in the long run as they help to reinforce your beliefs and experiences that tell you anxiety is something you can't cope with- perhaps it's something you might try to cut down on doing over time. As with most things, if you can face it head on and learn that it's not dangerous or scary (no matter how uncomfortable it might be) then hopefully the fear of anxiety (which is the cause of most of it) will gradually be reduced.

Leese
20-01-10, 19:50
Hiya Rob! hope your well! I know what you mean when you say "you never realised so many people go through the same thing as you"... Before I came on this site I thought I was a nut job! for 5 years I suffered alone because I was embarrassed of what was happening to me. Its awful but we have to help each other through this if we can...
Anyways I'm here if you or anyone else wants to chat.. I think I'm around the same age as you? 22? x

Rob83
24-01-10, 01:12
Thank you all. In just a few days of using this website, talking to a few people and reading LOTS of info, I already have a more positive outlook on the whole situation. I hope I can be of help to people too, I've been through a lot in my life, but what doesnt kill you only makes you stronger. If anyone relates to my story or just wants to know more fell feel to contact me using any of the methods available on this site and I promise you wont be ignored.

Typer
24-01-10, 02:01
Welcome Rob. I'm glad being here is already helping you, as it has me

Andyroo
24-01-10, 06:49
Hello there

Welcome to NMP! theres lots of helpful information here.

Its really good to have you with us!

You will have lots of love and support here!! welcome. :hugs: